Bilstein shocks thread

Do you notice and ride difference when not towing with this kit, at the 5-10min psi? I have a new kit sitting in the garage waiting to be installed. I have the 3" rear blocks and bilstein rears as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not at all, you can squeeze then when that low. Do you have the same exact kit? Are you installing a compressor? If not, take the bolts out of your rear license plate and run your valves through the holes then nut back on the plate. looks clean and easy to get to.

post-155210-0-23496400-1503349394_thumb.png

post-155210-0-21970700-1503349399_thumb.png

• Like 3

Not at all, you can squeeze then when that low. Do you have the same exact kit? Are you installing a compressor? If not, take the bolts out of your rear license plate and run your valves through the holes then nut back on the plate. looks clean and easy to get to.

Yes it the same kit. No compressor. Only tow a couple times a month at most so don't see the need to spend the extra $ on it.

Did you consider a rear block guys? For the amount of times I tow, the extra 1" was enough and doesn't kill the look.

I did, but I'm glad I went with the airlift, feels a bit more stable when towing. I also am not a huge fan of the rake.

Edited by Bwoodkid

put a set of 5100 on my truck (rear) to replace the Rancho's wow what a difference

Did it stay at stock height when you swapped? I am wanting to get rid of these rancho shocks and go with something better....I have a level up front with nothing in the back and would hope that it stays pretty close and keeps me level.

Just added the 5100's all the way around. Front is at max setting and I added a Motofab 1" block in the rear. I have to say that I am ok with the front ride but the ass end of the truck seems to bounce or "skitter" over bumps. It did this with the Rancho's as well. I was hoping that replacing with the 5100's would stop this. I torqued all the nuts on the U bolts to 60 lbs and verified the shocks were mounted correctly, (boots down) and functional. With some weight in the back, it rides fine. I understand its a truck and will ride like one but I am disappointed in what I expected of the upgrade. My father and brother both have Tundra's and man do they ride great. Its a nice solid bump and then done. Not a skitter like my Sierra. Has anyone else noticed this and have recommendations? Or am I expecting too much?

I also made the switch a few months ago. Front's maxed and added a 2" (1"over stock") block in the rear. I'll echo what everyone says, the truck drives much better but there are some conditions where the 5100's are less forgiving. I carry a full tool box, back rack, ladder rack, and misc stuff in the bed and I think the weight definitely helps my ride. The few trips I've taken everything off/rode unweighted, I'm not nearly as impressed with the ride.

I replaced my fronts about 6k miles ago. I am starting to get a little clunk going over bumps on the drivers side. Has anyone else had this problem? I torqued everything to spec at install and rechecked it last night. It feels like it is the stabilizer link. But I can't figure it out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I replaced my fronts about 6k miles ago. I am starting to get a little clunk going over bumps on the drivers side. Has anyone else had this problem? I torqued everything to spec at install and rechecked it last night. It feels like it is the stabilizer link. But I can't figure it out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If everything is torqued, I would also suspect the link. Maybe remove it and check for play.

To clarify, the rear 5100s can be used at stock height, or stock +1"?

If stock height, would this require an alignment due to slight length difference from stock shock to 5100?

Yes they can.

No you wouldn't need one since you are not changing the angle. If you added a block, (even +1") you would need an alignment. Somehow that changes the front angles enough to require one. Or so I am told from the guy that aligned mine.

Edited by tuckersnator

What is the going price for a set of Bilstein on a 1500 with 2" drop shackles?

Amazon has the set of 4 for $355.76 and free shipping.

AutoAnything has the set of four for $376.60 and free shipping

Edited by Eddie 70