Bilstein shocks thread

They're working great, for a direct replacement using stock springs they are light years better than Ranchos. The 6112 should be awesome. The Toyota guys love them and say they're comparable to KINGS/ICONS

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Do we have any idea when they will release those?

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question..

2014 sierra crew cab

I got 275/60/20 Discoverer AT/3 and doing the Billstein level on top notch.

Can i get the tires mounted first before the shock install? Just wondering if it will rub hard untill i can get the shocks installed the next day or so.

Just now, RHStansbury said:

According to the "Technical CSR" I've been emailing about these for the last few months, the current status is "They are due in anytime now, waiting on spring coating."

They always have one reason or another, but hopefully that is the truth. They have been due since last year. I will believe them when they arrive to our loading dock!!!

On 10/23/2017 at 5:24 AM, Ozer said:

Quick question..

2014 sierra crew cab

I got 275/60/20 Discoverer AT/3 and doing the Billstein level on top notch.

Can i get the tires mounted first before the shock install? Just wondering if it will rub hard untill i can get the shocks installed the next day or so.

U-Turns will be hard. But if its just for a day I think you will survive.

• Like 1

I just read a thread on the Bilsein bump that occurs after installation of the shocks. It seems the top plate does not get tightened down all the way unless you use a washer or spacer under the shock top nut. I have been having some noise in the front end since the swap over washboard sections in the road. I checked this afternoon when I got home from work and found my top plate loose enough to move. So I did some searching and found the thread mentioned above. The bad part about trying to correct tbis is you gotta almost stand on your head to correct it. Maybe not tomorrow night but by the weekend I will have done something about it anyway. I'll link the thread here tomorrow.

I just read a thread on the Bilsein bump that occurs after installation of the shocks. It seems the top plate does not get tightened down all the way unless you use a washer or spacer under the shock top nut. I have been having some noise in the front end since the swap over washboard sections in the road. I checked this afternoon when I got home from work and found my top plate loose enough to move. So I did some searching and found the thread mentioned above. The bad part about trying to correct tbis is you gotta almost stand on your head to correct it. Maybe not tomorrow night but by the weekend I will have done something about it anyway. I'll link the thread here tomorrow.
My Bilsteins set on the max lift were installed earlier this year so (living in the Midwest) this is first they've seen cooler temps.
On the expressway today the truck was really riding funny. Kinda like very small whoops so it felt like it was bouncing up and down really fast. ( I was going between 70 and 80 mph)Not like with out shocks.. It was very stiff feeling. I wrote it off as just being that section of highway combined with the trucks wheelbase.
Later I was on a totally different expressway and felt the same.
Anyone experience this? Would a spacer lift work better for ride quality with the shocks set at stock height?
Also Eddie 70, mine makes a light knocking/ rattle noise when going slow over terrain that makes the truck flex side to side. Nothing big.. Just driving across the yard will do it and I can't find anything lose.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I went out to the garage tonight when I got home and checked everything really closely. The top plate was VERY loose. The best way I found to tighten the bolt was through the fender well. Hold the wheel well liner back, rotate the shock shaft so you can hold it with a small crescent wrench. Tighten the 16MM nut on the top of the shock until it is tight against the top plate and no more movement is noticed.

Read this thread for pics.

• Thanks 1

I have driven approximately 175 miles since I did this the other day. This was the fix for mine. It may loosen up, but I can't imagine it would using the supplied nuts that came with the shocks. They are just a tad undersized and you have to use a wrench to run them down. However, if it does loosen, I will double nut it.

SO much better with them tightened down. The truck is almost quiet again and it has 92k miles. I am excited again!

• Like 1