Bilstein shocks thread

Aaron1121,

I have the stock ranchos, no lift or spacer in the front on mine now and still get the pogo stick, bucking on concrete highways.

This did not happen with my worn out rear stock ranchos.  So it must be the 5100s I have in the rear having a faster/more responsive rebound

which is probably why these 5100s suck up potholes better than the ranchos.

The lift amount in the front probably has nothing to do with the pogo bucking, compressed spring or not. 

Other than you , I have not come across anyone in these forums having the same problem as us with the 5100 shock.

On 4/10/2018 at 9:28 AM, Dtz7116 said:
Do you have any other pictures? I will be installing my 5100 next week. Your tire size is what I've been looking at, just not sure yet. Thanks! 

Sure... if you look closely, you can see where the front tire rubbed the inner liner at full lock before I put the new shocks on it. Doesn't rub now, though.

5d7f984445c912f0c431fdf1180ca7ff.jpg3d3922405df9d6f5bc2e2f4ab331cc26.jpg7bbca16778320d9b5baa3edded534e77.jpg

Edited by Fasthotrod
  • Like 1

I read through a lot of this topic, but not all.  I see mostly people replacing the Rancho Z71 shocks with the Bilsteins, but I didn't see anyone compare them to the NHT Max Trailering factory shocks.  I have has my '18 for a little more than a week now, and it seems a little bit bouncy.  I have not towed with it yet, but feel it may not be able to control weight all that well.  I dont know, maybe it gets better with some weight.

Anyone change out your factory NHT shocks for the 5100's and feel the change was worth it?  Any towing comparisons?

Yes my 2015 is a NHT. Not sure what the difference is on the shocks. I bought it with 19,000 miles and when I would walk around in the bed it had more bounce than I thought it should, very soft. 

I trailered a little better than my 2011 non NHT 6.2 but when I changed the rear shocks to the Bilsteins the bucking and bouncing was improved greatly. When you walk or bounce in the truck bed there's almost no movement... Almost too stiff now maybe.

As for the front the Bilsteins took away the side to side " booble head" action when turning into a Parking lot and maybe a little more control when hitting "whoops" or large bumps. 

Problem is you feel every seam and little bump in the road. 

Bilstein doesn't show a part number last I checked for NHT equiped trucks. I raised the back with a swap of the blocks to get another 2" of height and used shock extensions. 

I'm going to take the Bilsteins in the front down to the first notch and install a zone leveling kit to hopefully smooth out the ride. My theory is that the max lift setting on the NHT gives a harsh ride... More controlled but it beats the truck to death and I don't want more rattles and squeaks. 

45 minutes ago, michigan2500hd said:

Yes my 2015 is a NHT. Not sure what the difference is on the shocks. I bought it with 19,000 miles and when I would walk around in the bed it had more bounce than I thought it should, very soft. 

I trailered a little better than my 2011 non NHT 6.2 but when I changed the rear shocks to the Bilsteins the bucking and bouncing was improved greatly. When you walk or bounce in the truck bed there's almost no movement... Almost too stiff now maybe.

As for the front the Bilsteins took away the side to side " booble head" action when turning into a Parking lot and maybe a little more control when hitting "whoops" or large bumps. 

Problem is you feel every seam and little bump in the road. 

Bilstein doesn't show a part number last I checked for NHT equiped trucks. I raised the back with a swap of the blocks to get another 2" of height and used shock extensions. 

I'm going to take the Bilsteins in the front down to the first notch and install a zone leveling kit to hopefully smooth out the ride. My theory is that the max lift setting on the NHT gives a harsh ride... More controlled but it beats the truck to death and I don't want more rattles and squeaks. 

The description of the NHT package says it has different shock valving, I think everything else is the same (except the rear springs) so I don't see a need for a separate part number. 

Did you do any towing with the stock shocks vs the 5100's?  I only have 500 miles on mine and haven't towed yet, but I cant imagine the bouncy feeling getting better with load.  I think the firmer ride would be an OK trade for towing vs the bouncy/bucking feeling.

Last I checked Bilstein says the shocks are for all 1500's except NHT. Not sure why though. Yes I trailered with the stock shocks before switching and the Bilsteins are a big improvement. No sway and less bucking.
I mainly pull a 14' enclosed tool trailer so we're not talking crazy weight. Pulled a trailer type 40' lift but not sure how heavy it was.. But it was a chunk of metal for sure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 4/16/2018 at 7:36 AM, Kubs said:

I read through a lot of this topic, but not all.  I see mostly people replacing the Rancho Z71 shocks with the Bilsteins, but I didn't see anyone compare them to the NHT Max Trailering factory shocks.  I have has my '18 for a little more than a week now, and it seems a little bit bouncy.  I have not towed with it yet, but feel it may not be able to control weight all that well.  I dont know, maybe it gets better with some weight.

Anyone change out your factory NHT shocks for the 5100's and feel the change was worth it?  Any towing comparisons?

Somewhere in this terribly long thread there's some info on which shock is best for NHT trucks. I brought it up at least a year ago but I can't remember which was recommended. I was hoping to get the 6112 if I'm remembering correctly but don't think they'll ever be released. Now I'm thinking about selling the truck so  . . .

I did some more reading through here and saw some posts about NHT owners upgrading to 5100s.  It seems that most people are pleased with the results.  The ones who didn't appeared to have too much sag, stacking lift kits, etc. all things that probably created their own issues. 

I also saw old screen shots from web sites saying the 5100's were for all except NHT.  However on TireRack, Amazon, and even Bilstein's own website there is no mention of these not being applicable for NHT equipped trucks.  Perhaps something changed in the shock, or Bilstein has done more testing, but it doesn't appear to be an issue any more.

I am going to go ahead and purchase them based on what I have been able to find. I also bought some Firestone Ride-Rite air springs to assist the load in the rear.  I currently tow an 18' open car trailer, but it is all steel.  That with the race car on it, spare tires, fuel is around 7000lbs.  Then I put a bunch of tools, cooler, more fuel, etc in the bed which is probably close to another 1000lbs. 

I had a 2000 3/4 ton Yukon before this and it handled the weight no problem, but rode rough and got terrible fuel mileage.  It got to the point I didnt feel safe having the kids in it (old and wearing out) which is why I bought the '18 1500 NHT.  Same tow rating as the Yukon but better ride and mileage.  Th bouncy feeling does not give me confidence towing with any weight.

Cool! Always thought the 5100 was a nice looking shock. It's a quick ,easy swap. Did mine in about 10 minds per side.. With less than optimal tools. Rachet broke so I was using wrenches. 

I was going to swap back to my stockers this morning  ( just to compare)but I think they are shot. When I let one fully extend it makes a metallic sound. Thinking about giving Monroe Sensi- Trac a try. I think the Bilsteins are too harsh. I'll see if it's just me this way. 

7 hours ago, michigan2500hd said:

Cool! Always thought the 5100 was a nice looking shock. It's a quick ,easy swap. Did mine in about 10 minds per side.. With less than optimal tools. Rachet broke so I was using wrenches. 

I was going to swap back to my stockers this morning  ( just to compare)but I think they are shot. When I let one fully extend it makes a metallic sound. Thinking about giving Monroe Sensi- Trac a try. I think the Bilsteins are too harsh. I'll see if it's just me this way. 

Monroe / Rancho same thing... how long have you had the 5100's they do 'soften' after some miles

Had the Bilsteins on for about 15,000 miles with no noticable softening it breaking in. 

I think the Rancho shocks that come as OEM Z71 are made to GM's specs and not what you'd buy off the shelf. The stock shocks I took off were Tenneco I think.  

I'm not seeing the 5100 adjustable shocks for the front of the 2018's  Not on Bilstein website or Summit or others?  Anyone using them to level an '18?  Part number??

Thanks in advance!!

2017 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71 6.2L
4.5" Zone
22x10 American Force Grips
33x12.5 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
Instagram @wildchevys