Bilstein shocks thread

You can try to compress the springs with ratchet straps - generally unsafe but if you are not removing the top hat not much risk involved.

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried my hardest to be "safe", picked up some compressors at pep boys. There just isn't enough room to get them in the right spot without dropping the shock. A couple clicks with a makeshift endless ratchet did the trick.

Maybe the most unconventional thing I've ever done to a vehicle.

post-167364-0-13333300-1483932278_thumb.jpg

post-167364-0-64246400-1483932445_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried my hardest to be "safe", picked up some compressors at pep boys. There just isn't enough room to get them in the right spot without dropping the shock. A couple clicks with a makeshift endless ratchet did the trick.

Maybe the most unconventional thing I've ever done to a vehicle.

Glad to see it worked out! Figured that would be your best bet, even with pro spring compressors it's scary business though. Ratchet straps are very versatile, can even reset the bead on tires with them

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So from what ive read and correct me if im wrong, 6112 for 2015 Sierra aren't out yet and wont be until after April. And these 6112 will increase the front end of my truck to a max of 1.8" on top of my 2.5" level kit. I am looking to get a little more height so i can increase the offset of my rims and thought this would be a great option.

• Like 1

So from what ive read and correct me if im wrong, 6112 for 2015 Sierra aren't out yet and wont be until after April. And these 6112 will increase the front end of my truck to a max of 1.8" on top of my 2.5" level kit. I am looking to get a little more height so i can increase the offset of my rims and thought this would be a great option.

Although that is the listed height, the 6112 will be able to provide more than 2" of lift depending on the truck. You cant really stack lifts just like that without damaging the upper ball joint on the control arm. You could run the Bilstein on the lowest setting with the spacers, any higher and you will need aftermarket uniball control arms.

Although that is the listed height, the 6112 will be able to provide more than 2" of lift depending on the truck. You cant really stack lifts just like that without damaging the upper ball joint on the control arm. You could run the Bilstein on the lowest setting with the spacers, any higher and you will need aftermarket uniball control arms.

• Like 1

Blank post?

sorry yes, very new to this. So if im leaving the 5100's at lowest setting, that wont affect my ride height which is really what im looking for, theres no point in getting the 5100 or 6112 when they come out. if i want to affect ride height ill have to do a body lift or suspension to push my tires out to the desired offset i want, or trim.

Update on the GM 6112s! They will have two GM 6112 models, 09-13 & 14+. The 09-13 GM 6112 ETA is end of March or early April. The 14-15 is even farther. It's probably a little too early to give out part#'s, but you'll be the first to know once they're released!

Are you offering a pre-order for the 6112's?

• Like 1

sorry yes, very new to this. So if im leaving the 5100's at lowest setting, that wont affect my ride height which is really what im looking for, theres no point in getting the 5100 or 6112 when they come out. if i want to affect ride height ill have to do a body lift or suspension to push my tires out to the desired offset i want, or trim.

I would start by asking what is the desired height you would like, and go from there to is it two wheel drive or four wheel drive. Because depending on what configuration your truck is will dictate the direction you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Are you offering a pre-order for the 6112's?

We are! There is a pre-order list about 70 deep. We arent taking any payments at this time, just collecting information so when we finally get them the process is easy. If youd like to get on the list please shoot us your full name, delivery address and email to [email protected] or via PM.

Just had my 5100's installed ... LOOKS GREAT AND RIDES AWESOME !

Its a tad stiffer , I expected that .... no body roll , not much of a nose dive when you hit the brakes , off and on ramps like its on rails .....

I really like these shocks , transforms the ride totally . Service manager at the Local Chevy Dealership loved them after being a bit of a skeptic . " Not many would change a shock on a NEW car "

My ride , 2016 Z-71

Edited by sbk12rs
  • Like 2