Bilstein shocks thread

Here is where I stand but need some opinions. I currently have the stock Ranchos and a 2" level (below the shock only). I can:

1. Keep the level, and install 5100s on the bottom level. The problem with this is the 5100 is a longer shock so coupling this with the level is no bueno.

2. Lose the level and install 5100s on the highest level. This will give me about the same height, but having the shocks at the highest level preloads the springs, giving me a worse ride.

3. Keep the level and install 4600s. This will give me the same height and an improved ride with the Bilsteins over the Ranchos.

Choice 3 seems obvious to me but am I thinking choice 2 correctly? Does the ride get worse as you raise the spring bases up? I've read on here that it does but since the whole point of raising the spring bases is to raise the truck, I'd think the spring should have the same preload on it no matter the level.

Halp?

I'm running option 2 - the ride is a vast improvement over the stock Ranchos. The only time you will increase preload is if the shock absorber is topped out and cannot extend any further, thus limiting the distance between the top plate and the perch. This doesn't appear to be the case on the Z71, at least its not apparent to me.

If there is still room for the shock to extend with the perch used, the overall length of the whole assembly will simply increase instead of adding to the preload of the shock, thus leaving the weight of the vehicle as the only source of preload.

It is like the difference between the two types of spacer lifts. a coil spacer will usually achieve the top out of the shock and so preload the coil. A top plate spacer does not preload the coil, but merely extends the length of the strut. The 5100's simply do this at the other end of the strut.

That being said, if you use a long enough coil with the 5100's to achieve top out of the shock on the perch you are using, you will begin to preload the coil and that preload will increase with every perch you move up.

Here is where I stand but need some opinions. I currently have the stock Ranchos and a 2" level (below the shock only). I can:

1. Keep the level, and install 5100s on the bottom level. The problem with this is the 5100 is a longer shock so coupling this with the level is no bueno.

2. Lose the level and install 5100s on the highest level. This will give me about the same height, but having the shocks at the highest level preloads the springs, giving me a worse ride.

3. Keep the level and install 4600s. This will give me the same height and an improved ride with the Bilsteins over the Ranchos.

Choice 3 seems obvious to me but am I thinking choice 2 correctly? Does the ride get worse as you raise the spring bases up? I've read on here that it does but since the whole point of raising the spring bases is to raise the truck, I'd think the spring should have the same preload on it no matter the level.

Halp?

Great to hear!!

Thank you for the business!! These will be a nice upgrade over the stock gear.

We JUST got a new boatload of these shocks (50 units) but Im already down to just 12 pairs.

6848902c79bbb5a19fed26da7cc12c50.jpg

Super fast shipping, great prices. Thank you ! Highly recommend MRT.

They came in already...looking forward to installing them when I have some free time. Going to PM you on some wheel prices here in a little bit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Halp?

I've only heard one member say he's running a 2.5" level kit with bilsteins at the lowest setting but has a spectacular ride. I want the best ride but still achieve the 2-2.5" of lift - bilsteins are ordered.

more confused each day.

• Like 2

A buddy of mine went with Bilsteins on the lowest setting combined with the ReadyLift leveling kit, which uses small spacers that sit at the bottom and top of the strut. It's more expensive than the RC kit but I like the way it's designed. My buddy's truck looks perfect - it has just under a 1/2 inch rake (not noticeable) and rides great. That said, I didn't see a major difference when driving his truck versus mine with only has the Bilsteins at the highest setting

I've only heard one member say he's running a 2.5" level kit with bilsteins at the lowest setting but has a spectacular ride. I want the best ride but still achieve the 2-2.5" of lift - bilsteins are ordered.

more confused each day.

I got my set of billys on all four corners for a steal a couple years ago bc another member was running them with a spacer on top of them. Said the ride was horrible, took them off after less than a week. Adding a spacer with the billys above stock setting kind of defeats the purpose of them.

Sent from my kayak

Just got a set for the front . Now I'm thinking I should be doing the rear at the same time. I don't want to raise the back should I still go with 5100s . Also read somewhere but can't fund it that maybe better to use a different model. I will be towing a travel trailer cross country this summer . Any recommendations? I think I read the maybe 5160s would be better?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just got a set for the front . Now I'm thinking I should be doing the rear at the same time. I don't want to raise the back should I still go with 5100s . Also read somewhere but can't fund it that maybe better to use a different model. I will be towing a travel trailer cross country this summer . Any recommendations? I think I read the maybe 5160s would be better?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I would definitely do the rears too. I don't think they make any 5160s that are meant for stock ride height.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I had 4600s on the front with a 1.5" level. It was terrible. Had it replaced with 5100s on third setting. Night and day difference.

If anyone in Houston wants some front 4600s that have less than 3000 miles on them, PM me.

I had 4600s on the front with a 1.5" level. It was terrible. Had it replaced with 5100s on third setting. Night and day difference.

If anyone in Houston wants some front 4600s that have less than 3000 miles on them, PM me.

Is that the 1.6" setting on the 5100s? How much did it lift the front? I need 1.5-2.0" on my Yukon.

But do you know if it was the kit or the 4600s? Did you run either setup by themselves?

Is that the 1.6" setting on the 5100s? How much did it lift the front? I need 1.5-2.0" on my Yukon.

1st setting - 0"

2nd - 0.75"

3rd - 1.26"

4th - 1.85"

Installed mine today at the highest setting. I also upgraded the stock 255/70r17 tires to 285/70r17 Nitto's

Before:

FD 38 1/4

FP 37 7/8

RD 38 1/4

RP 39 1/4

After:

FD 40 7/8

FP 41

RD 39 3/8

RP 40

646BC1A2-091F-477D-AE8F-8465F7109CE5_zps

• Like 1

Truck looks great! Thanks for posting the before/after heights!

I would definitely do the rears too. I don't think they make any 5160s that are meant for stock ride height.

No, those are "supposed" to be released with the 6112s up front.

Anyone else have the bilsteins coupled with a level or spacer? Looking for feedback asap.

We dont recommend this, just use the preset heights on the Bilstein for the optimum ride.