Bilstein shocks thread

Yellow/Blue = 4600

Silver/Black = 5100

Both a big upgrade over the stock shocks. Go with the 4600 if you want to keep stock height or are needing maximum control for towing or want to run a leveling spacer. Go with the 5100 if you want to level the truck without a spacer or if you like to go offroad.

Running stock 16 1500 crew z71. I have a Leer cap on back which probably adds 300 lbs and already squats the back a bit over stock. Would there be a noticeable benefit to just do the rears with 4600 or 5100 simply because I can do it myself? I don't go off road that much and would like a smooth ride on the highway.

Do the 5100s that are adjustable, do they actually raise the front all by themselves? Or is it just to account for a seperate lift or spacer? If I wanted to raise the front say an inch to level it out a bit would you need to replace other suspension parts and get an alignment, or is all you need the are the 5100s?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

5100 front shocks have a circlip that raises a perch that the coil spring rests on. Raising the circlip raises the front of the vehicle. I have mine set at the third setting which leaves me about 1" of rake. I also have a topper (ARE) on mine.

You will need an alignment if you raise the vehicle.

5100 front shocks have a circlip that raises a perch that the coil spring rests on. Raising the circlip raises the front of the vehicle. I have mine set at the third setting which leaves me about 1" of rake. I also have a topper (ARE) on mine.

You will need an alignment if you raise the vehicle.

Thanks for the info. How was the ride quality after the 5100s with the cap on the back? I noticed adding the cap alone really tamed the rear bounce from how it drove with an empty bed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You should only see improvements in the way it handles and carries the weight of the cap. We recommend you go with the 5100s. The front shocks have an adjustable spring seat to level out the front. All you need is the shock set, they come with everything required to install and level the vehicle, no additional parts needed :)

• Like 1

Well to be honest I'm not too thrilled with the rear ride. It's a little jarring. I had a Tacoma with Bilstein 5160 rear reservoir shocks that rode much nicer. I may put the stockers back on.

Edited by Threerun

Could I clear a 285/50/22 Nitto G2 with Bilstein 5100? That is a 33.2" tire at 11.2" width. Or even without any mod? The stock 285/45/22 is 32.1" and also 11.2" width.

275/60/20 fit without any modifications--that's a 33" at 10.8" width.

So, according to the pdf, are we really only looking at 1.8 of front lift on the Sierra/Silverado with the 6112's?

Anyone know if these numbers are confirmed?

Thanks.

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/pdfs/off-road.pdf

Not confirmed yet - check out this thread for the most recent 6112 info: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/190363-bilstein-6112-coilovers-5160-rear-shock-interest-thread-50-sets-co/?hl=6112

I have been thinking of putting lowering shackles on mine to try and even the rake. Would either of these shocks be good for this. I would like to take some of the bite out of the Z60 harshness. Sprinkle GSM in front would really probably help. I am 2wd and extended cab.

What the heck does Sprinkle GSM in front would really probably help. My phone must have auto corrected that. I was thinking springs in front would probably really help.

Would my truck benefit more from 4600 or 5100's? I am wanting some of the Z60 harshness taken away. Expansion joints on the interstate and bridges currently suck.

LOL! If you are lowering the truck, go with the 4600 as they are shorter than the 5100s.

Thanks man for the reply. At this time I only want to lower the rear with shackles. No plans for the front.

• Like 1

I have a 2017 CCSB 4X4 with the 6.2L (L86) and Max Trailering Pkg. I tow a 34' Airstream trailer (9,100 pounds and 1,100 tongue weight. I want to maintain the factory ride height, but I'd like a more controlled ride, especially towing. I want the damping to be more controlled...not harsh.

Would the 4600 series Bilsteins be an improvement over the factory shocks?

Thanks,

Steve

• Like 1

Are their any Bilstein's for lifted trucks? I have a 7" lift on mine but I'm not too impressed with the shocks that came with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1