Bilstein shocks thread

Recently installed Bilsteins all around set at the top setting, netted ~2" in the front. Sitting near perfectly level but I may opt for the 1" lift in the rear for towing and hauling purposes.

Wheel/tire combo is 285/70/17 Cooper MTP's on 17x9+6 Pro-Comp 83 Series/Vapor

Very happy with the ride/stance/response and look. The truck feels very stable in all conditions but still a little bouncy in the front (attributed mostly to the tires and PSI)

Did you do the 1" in the rear yet? I just had the 5100's installed at the top setting and now I need to get a little more rake back for towing a camper. Not sure if I should go 1" or 2".

Did you do the 1" in the rear yet? I just had the 5100's installed at the top setting and now I need to get a little more rake back for towing a camper. Not sure if I should go 1" or 2".

You really should consider your wording before you post!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat and I just ordered the rear blocks. The truck sits perfectly level but I need take for towing and hauling.

A 2" rear block will give you an extra 1" of lift as the stock block is 1" tall(tapered)

Keep this in mind.

Ok I got the Bils 5100 put on my truck, all around, and I have a few questions.

First, the rear wheel wells look a little different, i think they removed the wheel well liners and didn't put them back in. Does the 2016 silverado lt z71 come with stock rear well liners? I could've sworn there was a liner in there that's gone now.

Second, they installed the rear shocks boot up, with the logo at the bottom upside down. I've sen varying opinions about what's correct installation and seems like most people on the forums say boot down. However, the Bilstein installation instructions and Bilstein 5100 advertisement video on their own website show the boot up in both cases, so why is everyone on the forums saying boot down? Does it even matter?

Thanks for any help,

Danny G

I installed them at all four corners the front at the highest setting and also put in a one inch upper spacer.. i love the ride.. i had the z71 ranchos on it. And they were crap... as for ride it rides like a truck..i also installed three inch blocks in the rear..

Pics??

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Ok I got the Bils 5100 put on my truck, all around, and I have a few questions.

First, the rear wheel wells look a little different, i think they removed the wheel well liners and didn't put them back in. Does the 2016 silverado lt z71 come with stock rear well liners? I could've sworn there was a liner in there that's gone now.

Second, they installed the rear shocks boot up, with the logo at the bottom upside down. I've sen varying opinions about what's correct installation and seems like most people on the forums say boot down. However, the Bilstein installation instructions and Bilstein 5100 advertisement video on their own website show the boot up in both cases, so why is everyone on the forums saying boot down? Does it even matter?

Thanks for any help,

Danny G

I just put these on the rear recently and put boots down. Besides the label being the right way someone made a good point in saying that the rod can take a beating but if the cylinder gets punctured the shock is toast so put the cylinder higher up out of the way more. Also a lot of people have talked to Bilstein directly and they say boot down also but I believe they also say it doesn't matter ride wise that they will work either way...

• Like 1

3rd highest setting, stock wheels and tires, air dam removed. 0ce4395920be5adf174c4fb0c6283474.jpg31958e4f524364ff335bba6b5eb6ce81.jpg7cc209047c5b9df19ea4d76af222898a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Finally!! someone else with a double cab and using the 3rd setting. I think I'm sold on it now. Do you have any other pictures? I have been battling back and forth on which setting. I'm looking to keep stock wheels and tires for now and still need to haul a utility trailer every now and then. I had 1.5 inch motofab and wanted to keep it about the same as that. How's the ride with these shocks for you at this setting?

Finally!! someone else with a double cab and using the 3rd setting. I think I'm sold on it now. Do you have any other pictures? I have been battling back and forth on which setting. I'm looking to keep stock wheels and tires for now and still need to haul a utility trailer every now and then. I had 1.5 inch motofab and wanted to keep it about the same as that. How's the ride with these shocks for you at this setting?

Here are some other pictures of it empty, towing and loaded. The ride is much better than the ranchos. I had a 2.5 inch rc level on it with the ranchos and the ride was pretty terrible with that and I personally didn't like the look with stock wheel/tires. I am plannimg on taking them up to the top setting and adding a 2" block to the rear and then getting 275/70r18 KO2s with the stock wheels. That should increase my rake by .5" from what it is now. I really like them at this setting but want some more height and a tad more rake for towing and hauling. 7206d76799d0616a49f23c0b8580b4d3.jpg5a83e35296408bca6aff4ce822e39629.jpg4fc151bbb6b0fe956330fa66b3155852.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you! I'm looking to go a similar route. Once the stock tires wear out I'll go with something a little bigger plus a 2 inch rear block. So until then I'll stick the 3rd setting

If you plan on bringing them up to the top setting I'd just do that from the start. It's not worth having to pull the struts out and compress them again. But that's just me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of creating a new thread I figured I'd ask here...

I'd like to make my front end sit a little higher and am considering getting Bilstein 5100's on all four corners, however I don't won't a perfectly leveled truck as I'm seeing many people doing. I do pull a trailer from time to time so I still want my rear end to sit a bit higher than my front so when I tow then the truck will be level and not have the rear end squat.

Will the Bilstein's allow the front to sit higher, say 1.5 - 2 inches higher and also make the rear sit higher than it is now to keep the rear higher or do I need to do something else to the rear end?