Bilstein shocks thread

I had my fronts done yesterday at a local Tire Kingdom. They quoted me 1.6 hours which was $175 in labor. I added an alignment for $75, and was out the door for a bit over $250. I did the rears myself, took about 20 minutes. All you need for the rear is a couple 21mm (i believe that was the size) wrenches. All together I have a little under $600 in the setup.

Ok I'll call my local Tire Kingdom. Did you buy the shocks online and then just have them install them? Also, can the shocks level the truck or are they just adjustable to accommodate a lift as the dealership told me?

Ok I'll call my local Tire Kingdom. Did you buy the shocks online and then just have them install them? Also, can the shocks level the truck or are they just adjustable to accommodate a lift as the dealership told me?

The shocks have a method of doing the lift it's self. Your dealer smokes too much wacky weed.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I bought the shocks through Autoanything.com and took them with me. The shocks can be adjusted up to 1.87" i believe in the front. I left mine stock height since I already had a level up front.

Auto Anything will match prices as well, I got all 4 shocks for $344.

post-167554-0-51493600-1500658728_thumb.jpg

The different groves in the shock body is what gives you the lift, hence "ride height adjustable". The fronts are the only ones adjustable. The rear 5100's are designed to accommodate 1" lift. If you cane change your own oil you can replace the rears. An extra set of hands are handy to compress the shock while installing the bottom bolt, but not required.

http://www.mrtmotorsports.net forum sponsors and good pricing.

• 2 weeks later...

My new Bilstein 5100's came in over the weekend and I already installed the rear ones. It made a big difference. I am going to have a shop install the fronts, but I am having a hard time deciding what height to set them at. From what I have read on here the top setting will ride stiffer and will almost completely level the truck. I am looking for a good ride and to get rid of some of the rake- not necessarily a complete level. I still have stock tires (255/70/17), so I dont want the tires to look small. I will be getting new tires next year and will probably up the size to 265/70/17 or 275/70/17 (these may even fit on stock setting). I am leaning towards the first notch above the bottom or possibly the second (just below top setting). I think either of the new tire sizes would fit. Can anyone give me some advise and has anyone compared the ride between the two settings? Will my truck look dumb on the third setting with stock 17" wheels noted above?

My new Bilstein 5100's came in over the weekend and I already installed the rear ones. It made a big difference. I am going to have a shop install the fronts, but I am having a hard time deciding what height to set them at. From what I have read on here the top setting will ride stiffer and will almost completely level the truck. I am looking for a good ride and to get rid of some of the rake- not necessarily a complete level. I still have stock tires (255/70/17), so I dont want the tires to look small. I will be getting new tires next year and will probably up the size to 265/70/17 or 275/70/17 (these may even fit on stock setting). I am leaning towards the first notch above the bottom or possibly the second (just below top setting). I think either of the new tire sizes would fit. Can anyone give me some advise and has anyone compared the ride between the two settings? Will my truck look dumb on the third setting with stock 17" wheels noted above?

Doesn't matter which setting all 3 ride about the same. I have mine in highest setting rides no different than one I drove that was on middle setting. I spoke at length with bilstein engineers on the phone regarding this. Basically the reason the highest setting doesn't 100% level the truck but it's the max they could design without adversely affecting the ride quality. They are designed so all 3 setting produce the same ride. The certified internet Google trained mechanics may say otherwise but I went straight to the source. Also have a truck right down the road set in the middle setting if I put you I either one you'd never know they are different settings other than a bit more rake on one of em.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I have them set on the top notch and the ride is great. Better than the Rancho's for sure. I also added a 1" lift in the back to keep the rake since I haul a travel trailer. Next is to replace the rears with 5100's too. You wont be disappointed if you go to the 4th notch. It basically put my nose up almost 2" and left me with about .5" rake, (then I added the rear block).

I installed a Rough Country 2" level on my 15 at around 900 miles. It has around 9,000 on it now and would like to upgrade my shocks.

Should I ditch the RC level and install the the 5100's at max height?

Can anyone comment on ride quality at max height setting vs a 2" front level?

I guess my other thought was to keep the level and go with the 4600's. I think it does alright on decent highways, but my complaint is basically everything else, like sharp city street bumps, railroad tracks, washboards on gravel roads.

I installed a Rough Country 2" level on my 15 at around 900 miles. It has around 9,000 on it now and would like to upgrade my shocks.

I guess my other thought was to keep the

I guess my other thought was to keep the level and go with the 4600's. I think it does alright on decent highways, but my complaint is basically everything else, like sharp city street bumps, railroad tracks, washboards on gravel roads.

I fabbed my own 2" spacers and with the Ranchos it wasnt bad, little stiffer I guess. I upgraded to the 5100's, the ride is better but it's not huge. Also, it's not a 2" at top setting so if you want your truck level these won't do it. My truck sits 3/4 higher in the rear. And it is not recommend to add spacers with the 5100's to compensate. IMO, leave it alone, your gonna pay$$$ for a little bit better ride and you will have to replace them anyways in the future and pay$$$ again. hope this helps.

Hello all! We have been away from the forums, super busy with our new retail store in Las Vegas..

We heard from Bilstein on Monday and wanted to updated everyone on the status of the 6112s.

GM is set for September at the moment. We will have a kit for 07-13 and 14+. Sorry this is taking forever!
We should also have more Ford application done by September as well. We will be releasing the Frontier/Xterra 6112 in August. This should be a good seller.

The new 5160 Rear Reservoir Shocks are now released & in stock and shipping! They are 1.5" longer than the 5100 rear shock and will accommodate up to a 2.5" rear lift block!

90b9d4da-16f1-48b8-b6f5-45082ee00786-420

PN Bil 25-242515

$340 a pair delivered

Hello all! We have been away from the forums, super busy with our new retail store in Las Vegas..

We heard from Bilstein on Monday and wanted to updated everyone on the status of the 6112s.

The new 5160 Rear Reservoir Shocks are now released & in stock and shipping! They are 1.5" longer than the 5100 rear shock and will accommodate up to a 2.5" rear lift block!

90b9d4da-16f1-48b8-b6f5-45082ee00786-420

PN Bil 25-242515

$340 a pair delivered

These look sweet! Has anybody tried them out yet?

• Like 1