Bilstein shocks thread

Is this with them removing the struts or did you remove the struts?

They did everything. I had the Bilsteins in a box. Kept my old ones just in case I thought the new ones were to harsh. So far so good. I have the NHT package and they work great.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the rear shocks over the weekend on my truck. What a pain in my rear that was. Apparently someone really torqued down on the shocks mounting bolts! I took all the bolts out and had to pry the top out of the mounting bracket. There was no way to get the top back in without opening the upper mount. I had to devise a way to spread the upper mount. The first shock took about an hour and a half to change out. The second one took about 20 minutes.

Next up is the front shocks. Is there any gotcha's that I need to be aware of before I get in there?

Are there any wear items in the strut that may need to be swapped out so I can get them here in advance of the job?

Is there a torque spec for the shock mount? Particularly the rears.

I've got a terrible creak coming from my rear ranchos whenever they get even remotely wet. Sounds like a 20 year old beater. Figure just upgrade them rather than try to get the dealership (who already can't replicate) to replace with one.

Just got an email back from Bilstein saying the 6112s will net 1.85" of lift. Folks are getting more than that from 5100s, right?

Appears to be the same as the 5100's. I got about 1 -7/8" out of my 5100's. Wish it was a tad more so when I get tone I'm adding the RC 1/2" spacer I the top.. Especially now that I got rid of the stock black in the back and put in a 3" block. I tow and haul every day so this got rid of the say and gives me the illusion that I have a 2500 HD.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Excellent review. We suspect is was the spacer, as the leveling spacers limit the already limited travel these trucks have from the factory. The 5100 is a superior shock to the 4600 in ride quality as well.

So are you saying that the 5100 is a superior shock over the 4600 on a totally stock 2016 sierra CC Z71?

• Like 1

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to a level "kit" spacer, etc vs the bilstein 5100's set to middle or max height? Im thinking about getting the 5100's as an overall upgrade to my stock black shocks. I've had them on other vehicles and always loved how they ride.

Getting ready to go out in the garage and take the front shocks off so I can get a shop to remove the springs for me tomorrow. Also going to install new alignment pins for the ones that are jacked up.

woo hoo!

Hopefully this goes well and I get it done at a reasonable hour.

5100's not cutting it?

They're working great, for a direct replacement using stock springs they are light years better than Ranchos. The 6112 should be awesome. The Toyota guys love them and say they're comparable to KINGS/ICONS

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Getting ready to go out in the garage and take the front shocks off so I can get a shop to remove the springs for me tomorrow. Also going to install new alignment pins for the ones that are jacked up.

woo hoo!

Hopefully this goes well and I get it done at a reasonable hour.

Got the front factory coil overs off last night in about an hour. Did not need to loosen the sway bar. I also installed new pins so the alignment cams can do their job. Took the bilsteins and the old stuff to a local shop and had them install the bilsteins this morning. Got an alignment at the dealer and the truck seems to be better now. The factory black shocks are in the trash and gone.

...the truck seems to bounce or "skitter" over bumps. It did this with the Rancho's as well... Has anyone else noticed this and have recommendations? Or am I expecting too much?

I had the same "skittering" experience with my first Sierra All Terrain with Ranchos. It caught me by surprise one day while driving on a paved road that transitioned into a dirt road. As I approached the transition I didn't think much of it. I figured it was the type of road my All Terrain was built for. I was wrong. My tail hopped and swung all over the place and I felt like I was in a paint shaker.

I chose Monroe Reflex shocks for the rear of my current All Terrain and Bilstein 5100 on the second highest setting for the front. So far I'm quite happy

I drove on a dirt road today that was not well kept. I avoided the big holes and ruts as much as I could but inevitably I still drove over a lot of them. The truck handled much better. It was planted, no skittering all around. When it hit bigger holes, it dipped and returned to level driving. No harsh impact and no tail end temper tantrum. It didn't even wake up my 2 year old who was asleep in her car seat.

My current tires are also bigger than the stock ones on my previous All Terrain. Same rims but now I'm running 275/65R20 STT Pros which are 34.5" in diameter. I'm sure they contributed a lot to the improved ride and handling.

The Monroe Reflex shocks are $50 each. I say give them a try and if you like them, you can probably sell the rear Bilsteins and come out close to even.