Steam from front end in cold snowy/rainy weather?

Anyone getting a lot of steam billowing from the radiator/front end area during cold rainy/snowy conditions? I am not surprised when hot metal meets moisture you get steam...but it seems excessive like when I'm stopped in traffic looks like my truck is puffing a stogie!! Could be my mind playing tricks on me but I also feel like I smelled coolant as well

Nothing coming up on DIC and gauges are all normal driving is normal

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine has done it since the day I bought it. I thought I was over heating at first when I saw the steam coming up from the front of the hood. Found out it's the water on the hood area that goes forward onto the radiator top, etc that creates the steam.

I noticed this with my truck as well. When it snows or rains I see the steam. I am glad I am not the only one that has this issue.

If it didn't release some of this steam once a week it would likely rear up and do uncontrollable 1st gear wheelies down your neighborhood streets. And we ALL know the outcome of that

Mine has done it also. It really got my attention the first time I saw it - thought I had a major problem. I pulled into a parking area and checked everything - no problems. I've been scratching my head trying to figure it out, and the only thing that made sense is what has been reported above by others.

• 2 weeks later...

happened to me after I decided to stop at a car wash.. truck is a week old... late Jan in upstate NY...outside temps hovering below 32. first stop light after car wash the steam is billowing out from under the hood... I just assumed the when spraying/rinsing the grill, got the whole radiator wet. watched the temp guage for a bit, nothing unusual.. so forgot about it until reading this topic...

Yep, that's exactly it, with such large grille openings and hot rad/coolers right there, out the front is the most direct place for all the steam to vent out of, with that plastic shroud on top.

I'm glad someone posted this, I was wondering the same thing. I was never really concerned about it and assumed it was just steam from the evaporating water since it only happens when its wet outside or just washed, but it is noticable for sure at a stop.

Archived