2002 Yukon service 4wd

snowfool

Question

Started having issues recently. Can drive all day in 2wd......when shifted to 4wd we can sometimes drive a mile, sometimes 5 miles until we get the service 4WD message and the pushbutton lights go out. Restarting the vehicle usually lets us shift back into 2HI. I've swapped the pushbuttons with my silverado thats known to work and also swapped the transfer case shift motors thinking it may have been the encoder. Anything else I can do to save a trip to have it scanned. Its really difficult with younger kids in half day school, one full day, working nights and all things in between for me to get to a dealer while the light is on for it to be scanned. I'm planning on cleaning the grounds under the door when the wife gets home. TCCM related maybe? Thanks for any help.

7 answers to this question

As far as life changing events in the driveline....I did remove and reinstall the transmission twice in last 30k miles. Theres 156,XXX on the vehicle. First, Sunshell broke so I installed a rebuilt unit from finish line transmissions. Second time, yank convertor was slamming when it locked up and took out the pump. Couldn't believe all the friction material in the pan from that. Trans work was done in the September/August time frame so we wouldn't have noticed 4WD issues until the winter. Not sure if they'd be related. I found out a friend that I'm going riding (snowmobile) with this weekend has a solus pro scanner so we'll scan it before leaving for the weekend. Nothing worse then wasting time and money.....and swapping the shift motors didn't take all that long. Just wondering if anyones ride had the same symptoms and maybe understand how and why the system operates how it does.

Thinking back on my truck....I've repaired cold solders on the switch and also replaced the clutch discs in the case when they were toast. I would think that if I screwed up the speed sensors some how that I would have a fault in 2HI but maybe not. Whe does it look at those and for what?

Just wanted to give an update....scanned the Yukon tonight and two codes were there. Something about the front transfer case speed sensor and shift not completed. So, I'll start there when I get home Sunday. Man I'll be pi$$ed and glad at the same time if its something as simple as missing that connector when I did the tranny work.

Can you think of something that may have happened about the time this started happening? New tires, fixed a flat, new brakes, or something else along that line. Looking for something that happened to any of the parts between transfer case and each tire. Is there just the one driver for Yukon, or is it shared between other family members? Do the other family members always tell you when they have heard something, or that they did something they are not proud of?

When you drive the Silverado along the same route that you drove the Yukon, does it behave normally? It would be best to get both trucks out at the same time and follow each other until the Yukon gives error. That way we will know for sure that it is not something stupid in the road conditions or something like that.

Just wanted to give an update....scanned the Yukon tonight and two codes were there. Something about the front transfer case speed sensor and shift not completed. So, I'll start there when I get home Sunday. Man I'll be pi$$ed and glad at the same time if its something as simple as missing that connector when I did the tranny work.

Actually you should take a lot of pride in finding the fault without turning to a parts toss. If this is in fact your issue, you should learn to always check old school first. This applies to any issue that comes up. For engine sensors, you just need to remember what the various sensors replaced when engine was moved to EFI. Not saying it is always going to find the issue, but I am saying checking old school is just about always free. Checking for something within the EFI system usually ends up with someone replacing parts that were not failing.

Started having issues recently. Can drive all day in 2wd......when shifted to 4wd we can sometimes drive a mile, sometimes 5 miles until we get the service 4WD message and the pushbutton lights go out. Restarting the vehicle usually lets us shift back into 2HI. I've swapped the pushbuttons with my silverado thats known to work and also swapped the transfer case shift motors thinking it may have been the encoder. Anything else I can do to save a trip to have it scanned. Its really difficult with younger kids in half day school, one full day, working nights and all things in between for me to get to a dealer while the light is on for it to be scanned. I'm planning on cleaning the grounds under the door when the wife gets home. TCCM related maybe? Thanks for any help.

You can't keep tossing parts at it , that's called guessing ,

You need it scanned , plain and simple

Archived