BFG TA KO2 Review+ Balancing Issue

****Update On BFG Customer Service/ Warranty

So I called BFG Canada and they said the KO2's are still production, and they are willing to have the tires replaced for free. I will have to pay mount and balance as they would only cover it within 30 days or 1000km of purchase. The representative is very friendly and helpful so overall experience with BFG is definetly satisfactory.

** Update On Vibration Issue/ Warrenty:

I just got the full report and it says I have excessive lateral runout on 3 out of 4 tires. Talked to KAL Tire and they are willing to replace the tires free of charge but I will have to pay mount and balance. With that being said, they also said this tire is no longer in production and there are no ETA's of this particular size. Da fuq?? Really? BFG would stop producing the most popular AT tire on the planet? Anyways I will try to contact BFG directly and see what they say.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been 8000km on the KO2's I'd thought I'll do a quick review and talk about some of the problems I ran into.

First Impression

Definetly a really good looking tire, better than the old KO's in my opinion. Having said that, it could use a little more work to avoid looking like the Grabber AT 2's.

Winter&Around Town Performance

This canadian winter haven't been all that cold so I have quite a few chances to plow through thick slushes and glossy icey roads. The truck usually stay in 2hi for 95% of the time but does require 4hi when trying to get going after a red light. Stoping on snow packed streets feels quite secure and with little drama. Although traction is not as good as dedicated snow tires but sastifactory when compare to stock all seasons.

Off Road Performance

I admit I only took it off road once back in December but what it did was simply mind blowing. Most of the dirt road was cover in a knee deep snow on a sheet of ice and frozen ground. I kept the tires at 40psi to see just how far I can go.To my surprise, 40 psi provided me enough traction for the entire 2 day journy into the Rockies in the dead of a Canadian winter. We tread through steep rocky hills, snow covered river banks and icey hill climbs. The traction was simply unreal in 2hi and I feel unstoppable in 4hi. Way better traction than the MT 33's on my uncles tundra in my opinion.

Highway Performance

The KO2's are quite a bit louder than your "P" rated tires at highway speed, but nothing you can't cover with a louder radio. Having said that it does firm up the ride a lot, partially eliminating some under damping the 4 ply stock tire provides.

Balancing Issues

I've been getting vibrations at highway speed since day one. Had them spin balanced twice with very little results. After some inquires with you party animals on this forum, I took the advice and had them road force balanced. The result just came in and 3 out of the 4 tires on the truck is bad, 3 out of 4! I understand this is a new tire for BFG and some manufacturing error is well justified but 3 out of 4?! This is a bit alarming. Anyways I will send the tire shop the report and have them sort this out. I will update on BFG's customer once this issue taken care of.

Final Thought

I dare to say it's the best tire I've ever had(beside the obvious vibration issue). If you're looking to get great traction on all type of terrain and under all conditions, this is the tire.

post-136081-0-16480300-1422308758_thumb.jpg

post-136081-0-93797600-1422308766_thumb.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got them about 2 weeks ago... 275/60/20.. went on a few highway trips ( 200 miles each) so far my review..

1. The new KO2 look is flat out awesome

2. Noise - I had the Goodyear SR tires before.. the ones that comes on the GMC AT. These new BFG are surprising quiet. I was expecting much more noise just based on the way they look. Driving around 30-40mph.. there is a touch more noise. Highway speed ( where it really matters to me) the noise difference is hardly noticeable compaied to the goodyear street tires... again I was surprised.

3. The ride is about the same.. but I'm still playing with the PSI. No balance or wobble issues with my set

I just got them about 2 weeks ago... 275/60/20.. went on a few highway trips ( 200 miles each) so far my review..

1. The new KO2 look is flat out awesome

2. Noise - I had the Goodyear SR tires before.. the ones that comes on the GMC AT. These new BFG are surprising quiet. I was expecting much more noise just based on the way they look. Driving around 30-40mph.. there is a touch more noise. Highway speed ( where it really matters to me) the noise difference is hardly noticeable compaied to the goodyear street tires... again I was surprised.

3. The ride is about the same.. but I'm still playing with the PSI. No balance or wobble issues with my set

It is indeed very quite given the aggressive tread pattern. And I just set it at 38psi cold to get a better mpg.

Easy way to find the correct tire pressure to run:

Take the weight of your truck and divide it by 4. Then take that number and divide it by the load rating on the tire. That will give you a percentage of weight on each tire. Then take that number and multiply the max tire psi of your tire and there you have it, your recommended psi!!

Here it is in a formula:

6000 lbs. (weight of truck)/ 4 (number of tires)= 1500 lbs (approx. weight on each tire)

1500 lbs. (weight on each tire)/ 3525 lbs (what your tire is max rated for)= 0.4255 (move the decimal two spots and that's your percentage, but keep it in decimal form for right now)

0.4255 X 80psi (max tire psi)= 34 psi

34 psi is your recommended psi based on the max load of your tire and weight of your vehicle!

Hope this helps someone. Remember, this is recommended psi for best tire wear and overall performance. Of course you can change it up to find where you like it best

I have had to true every set of of BFG tires I have ever owned. 3 or 4, can't remember. After that they rode and wore really well.

Just had a pair of the new ones in the shop. Guy bought em elsewhere and had some vibration. We trued them and all good after that.

when they road forced the tires did the actually spin the rubber on the wheels? or atleast give it a try? Whether or not the balancer doesn't ask for it makes a world of diffrerence usually.

8,000 miles on mine so far. They've been good. We don't get the weather like you get up there... nice rims. What sive tire did u go with

Did you see a difference on mpg? Mine went from 20mpg avg on stockers to17mpg avg on the new tire/wheel combo. Lost about 200km to the tank.

Archived