I was able to test the second protype tonight and the fit was great, so I will now start shopping for options to produce them for others as the printing cost me $200 each. I was shocked when he told me that, but wanted to get this thing going ASAP. I already have a quote from one place that I will call tomorrow and sort out the details, but if I understand it right then that option will be $110 a cap. That option would need to have 10 people at a time to do orders and I'm sure different options will require different numbers needed to do a complete order. So, for that reason if you are interested in getting a set PM me and I can work on getting a count to know what options are viable.

Details. I made the sides thicker .100 when the factory are .070". The top is .125". The cap is .750" deeper than stock, so more than enough room to clear fxr projectors and maybe something else crazy someone might try. The width of the tower was widened .125" in the middle and .250" on the ends. This was limited by the core support of the truck, so I pushed as far as I thought could be done and work with variables between trucks. On the first one I noticed the little flares could clear all the way out, but I didn't want to do it at first because I thought it would make it so we had to remove the headlight to get the cap off. So, I tested removing the stock cap on the truck with the HID light power corded connected and you can't get it off anyways. I don't know, but maybe this will help some people doing LED bulbs with the large cooling fins on the back. Pictures at the bottom.

Buying options so far, I will post others as I lock down the details for them.

1.) If for some reason someone can't wait or just doesn't care to wait and is okay with the printing price, I can get those done quick and I'll add $10 to each one to cover gas plus time. The guy is a good ways from me, so it will just have to be $420 a set, plus shipping.

2.) First quote was confusing and I did read it wrong, but it's still a good bit cheaper. This is a short run injection molding place and they would work out to be $130 a cap, so $260 a set plus shipping. This one would need 10 buyers at a time.

3.) Got another quote back and I see no way it can happen since the initial molding is $15,000 and then each cap is $10 after that, so about 95 sets to get $200 and 250 sets to get $100 a set. This also doesn't include any shipping and I know don't know what a huge order like that would cost to ship.

4.) I have another quote into another place suggested by a friend, but it's printing and the prototypes were way to expensive.

I'll update with other options as I get them.

Here are a few pictures of the first prototype:

20150127 202305

20150127 202314

20150127 202325

Here are some pictures of the first and second together:

20150127 202402

20150127 202432

20150127 202447

More details of the final design:

20150127 202458

20150127 202513

Testing the fit:

20150127 202544

20150127 202815

20150127 202847

The install of it on my driver side headlight, so I have one finally sealed up:

20150127 205413

20150127 210509

20150127 210737

20150127 210758

20150127 210853

20150127 210947

20150127 210954

Reserved

Edited by Crf450r420
  • Like 1

Hi, new to the forum.

I just ordered a set of FX-R projectors from TRS yesterday and was making the comment to them that they needed to sell a deeper dust cap for the silverado lights. Then out of the blue today I came across your post! If these will fit a 2015 Silverado 2500 I would probably be game.

Okay. I'm not sure, but best best is to call the dealer and see if your caps part number is the same as the 2014 1500. I'll try to remember to check on that tomorrow.

Edited by Crf450r420

Found a place with a much better printed price and I can set it up so everyone can order them straight from them directly. I just ordered one to check the quality and fit. This way there will be no need to do a group buy and if someone want them they can just order them when they are ready. Down side is it's super fast. The one I ordered will be here at the end of the month, between Feb 23 and Feb 27th.

Yes, and with the current demand it isn't an option. This option will be up soon for them at $110 a cap plus shipping. It will be high grade and polished. If they start selling I would get a printer, but even a cheap one that will do good quality is about $1000, so at current demand I'll be in the hole for a long time unless I sell them for more than that price as my time is also of value. My cousin will go in with me on a great on and I'd like to do it. But again there is no demand leaving me in the hole further as this will be $1500 each.

Yes, and with the current demand it isn't an option. This option will be up soon for them at $110 a cap plus shipping. It will be high grade and polished. If they start selling I would get a printer, but even a cheap one that will do good quality is about $1000, so at current demand I'll be in the hole for a long time unless I sell them for more than that price as my time is also of value. My cousin will go in with me on a great on and I'd like to do it. But again there is no demand leaving me in the hole further as this will be $1500 each.

Have you talked to TRS to see if they would be interested in including them with their kit? Include that with the upcoming fastheadlights adapter and this setup is a must for silverado owners.

Why not simplify your design into a dome rather than the OEM knob look? Should be cheaper to print and design, and also allow more room back there. You have tons of space in the middle, but the sides not so much where you left it shallow, like the oem covers.

Just a thought...

Edited by PirateDiesel

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/crf450r420

Here it is. I have not got mine yet. It moved to production phase today. I have made one on a local printers machine and have that one on my driver side light now. I just have not seen it from this service yet, but this price is way better than the $200 I paid to get the first two made. Give it a try and let me know, plus provide pictures. Thanks.

• Like 1

Why not simplify your design into a dome rather than the OEM knob look? Should be cheaper to print and design, and also allow more room back there. You have tons of space in the middle, but the sides not so much where you left it shallow, like the oem covers.

Just a thought...

If you look at my pictures of the install you see you are limited by the core support on how big it can be. And since the other headlight is blocked in the same way one on the opposite side this is the only way to do it and have one cap work for both. If people doing LED lights find they need more room that can be done by making one for each side and there is a enough demand, I will look into doing such.

Have you talked to TRS to see if they would be interested in including them with their kit? Include that with the upcoming fastheadlights adapter and this setup is a must for silverado owners.

I emailed them about the idea, but as they stated they are a small company and take a while to get around to their emails.

• 7 months later...