2014 Silverado stuck in 4 wheel drive anyone know wht could be wrong?

Hey guys got a 2014 silverado 4x4 and had it in auto and parked it.Got back in it and started it up put it in reverse and it didn't move so i pressed on the gas a little bit more and nothing and put it about half way down and it started going in reverse.I am like what the heck and then i put it in drive and had to give more pressure then normal to get moving.I look at the dash and it says service 4 wheel drive so i am like i guess there is something wrong so i take it out of auto and put in 2 wheel and nothing stuck in 4 wheel drive.Everytime i try and turn on the pavement it wants to hop so that is how i figured it was stuck in 4 wheel.I even tried backing up for quite a ways in reverse and still did nothing.Also there is like a low grinding noise coming from the back when i make a turn real slow just sounds weird.So anyone have any guesses on what it might be?I did take it to the dealer a little bit ago and they said they would ley me know.They are going to change the oil and rotate the tires while it is there it just turned 3,000 miles.lol.

Take it in. Alot of problems with shutting the vehicle off in below freezing temp in 4wd or auto 4wd, starting back up and being stuck in 4wd with the shift knob display not working. The only thing the dealer can do is clear the codes and tell you to shut the vehicle off in 2wd until they come up with a fix. Per bulleting No. PIP5250

Thanks guys it is at the dealer and the service manager said there is a recall on some 2014's but when he put my vin in it didn't come up with any recalls or bulletins but hopefully that is all it is i already want it back.lol.They gave me a 2015 gmc terrain to drive that was nice and gm pays for a rental car when your under warranty so it didn't cost me anything.

PIP5250: Service 4 Wheel Drive Message With DTCs C0398 Or C0326 Setting When Vehicle Operated Below 32 Degrees (0 C) - (Dec 22, 2014)
Subject: Service 4 Wheel Drive Message With DTCs C0398 Or C0326 Setting When Vehicle Operated Below 32 Degrees (0 C) 999999995.gif Models: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500, Suburban Tahoe 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Yukon Yukon XL 2015 Cadillac Escalade 4 Wheel drive equipped with RPO NQH or NPO

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment on a Service 4WD message in the DIC. Technicians may find that the vehicle has a C0398 or C0326 stored in the Transfer Case Control Module.

Recommendation/Instructions

Ensure that the TCCM has the latest software/calibration files. DO NOT re-program with the existing software. Record the freeze frame records and clear the codes. Then operate the vehicle in all available transfer case positions.

If any diagnostic trouble codes reset then perform published diagnostics.

If no diagnostic trouble codes reset and if the vehicle is operated in areas where the ambient temperature is below 32 * F (0*C), then advise the customer that G.M. engineering is investigating this issue and this PI will be updated when a repair is available. Dealers with a technical assistance case will be sent a communication when a repair is available.

To prevent the condition from occurring while a fix is developed, please instruct the customers to perform the following

1. PRIOR to shutting ignition off select the 2wdr position on the transfer case shift control knob/switch.
  2. Instruct customers to wait for the DIC "Shift In Progress" message to go away and 2wd shift indicator light in the switch to turn on solid. This will ensure that the transfer case is in the 2wd position when the vehicle is shut off.
  3. Turn ignition switch OFF.

After startup and during normal driving conditions customers may use any transfer case modes.

Note: If the transfer case shift control switch is left in any other position (4Hi, Auto or 4Lo) during shut down these code(s) could be set. If this is the case, transfer case range selection will only be allowed when dtcs are cleared.

If the above procedure does not work please call technical assistance at the number you have been provided.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Well i guess that explians it.lol.But i am not putting the truck in 2 wheel drive before i turn it off.lol.gm will continue to pay for my rent a cars until the issue is solved.I paid alot of money for this truck with the auto function and i will not turn it off.

I have been buying 4x4's for many years. I detest the auto function, and would not have it if I had a choice. I want to make the decision if it's in 2wd or 4wd.

I was of the same opinion after having old floor shift/locking hub trucks, until I started using the "Auto" function on heavy rain days on pavement. I've been very impressed. Not just with this truck, but the 2008 I had before this one as well.

The only time auto is good or even necessary is if the asphalt changes conditions from one spot to another, like icy or snow on some parts while dry or just wet on others. In normal driving just having it in 2wd is needed. I've heard of auto 4x4 systems going into 4x4 just on wet spots during or after a rain storm so 4x4 is defiantly not needed for wet roads. Traction control and Stabilitrak is all that's needed for a wet road. Plus if it's raining or after it rained you're supposed to adjust you're driving for the less than normal conditions. If I could handle wet roads in my old 86 Custom Deluxe 2wd and then my 98 Silverado Z71 that didn't have auto 4x4 then I think someone can handle a '14 Silverado on wet roads in normal 2wd.

Also saying you paid for a truck with auto so you won't turn it off doesn't make much sense to me. Does that mean you always need something in the bed? Do you always need the cab filled so you don't waste the seats? Do you always have a trailer hooked up to the hitch?

Well i guess that explians it.lol.But i am not putting the truck in 2 wheel drive before i turn it off.lol.gm will continue to pay for my rent a cars until the issue is solved.I paid alot of money for this truck with the auto function and i will not turn it off.

And you will continue to pay for a truck you wanted and not drive it. All because you don't want to turn the switch to 2wd before shutting it off? Usually the only people who drive in auto 4wd are soccer moms.

that would be stupid on your part and I wouldn't be surprised if GM made you foot the rental bill after the 3rd or 4th time. i'ts not that big of a deal, when you park put it in 2wd. they are working on a fix, what else do you want them to do? I mean it's not like they are saying that is how the truck is and you will just have to deal with it. geeez.

Sounds like this only pertains to those that have the higher than base model where you use a button to change electrically to four wheel drive...........whereas those like me that just have the lever on the floor to shift it manualy into four wheel drive don't have that problem to worry about.

I state this because I drive in four wheel drive 90% of the time in the snow up here last three months and it is always parked and shut off in four wheel drive , ......probably one of the few times a base models simple functions are an advantage. (that and price)

ok saying you will not put the truck back in 2wd just because GM needs to pay for a rental is the craziest thing I have read so far. Why be difficult, put the truck in 2wd when you park then put into 4wd when you leave. The shift literally takes maybe 5 seconds each way. Once GM comes out with a fix I am sure all of us will be notified. I don't use 4wd much so it doesn't bother me as much but I will get the fix once it comes out.

Archived