12142 miles on my lY6 and the dealer is pulling it out.

818silverado

Question

If they are going to pull the engine that usually means it is beyond anything cam related. Without know how the dealers history is with warranty work, of if GM sent someone to hear the noise, about I can offer is that they are likely going to use the process of elimination route. They will verify all clearances in crank and rod connections, and if those are within spec, they will look at wrist pin clearances, and after all that, they will likely look at the piston skirts to see if they are all the same still.

or

they will drop a rebuilt short block into it. When I last worked in a dealership auto companies were starting to move all machining repairs by the dealer out of the warranty books, and were shipping short blocks mostly, with the odd long block. No idea what they do now. The last engine warranty work I had done (in 88), dealer insisted it was a problem with pistons, Ford said short block, dealer did pistons(they were trying to recover their image at Ford Warranty Claims), then 10 days later it ended up getting a brand new drop in 5.0. That dealer went out of business about a year later.

Had an intermittent knock at 16k or so, tore the engine down, GM Engineer didn't like the look of the #8 Piston.....he claimed they are free floating Pistons and the #8 seemed to hang up at times. Replaced the piston, and she's been quite for a few thousand miles now. I was hoping for a new short block, but was told they would not replace a 12k motor just to give me a sense of security

I doubt they will give you an "upgrade" on engine selection. GM will most likely only authorize the same type engine to be installed into your vehicle.

What he said , no waaaay warranty will do this even with a cash difference, it's just to hard to do..... Lol

In my experience, the dealer does as little as possible to get you through warranty period - that's their main goal. Repairs with engine longevity in mind, and doing things right the FIRST time only happen when you complain.

My buddy has a V6 camaro that spun a bearing at 18k miles or so. They dropped the pan, and just bearing-slapped it. I couldn't believe it! 2k miles later, he arrived back at the dealer on a flatbed. They finally did it right that time ...

I disagree with ya there JS, they are going to do the cheapest way UNTIL that cost to fix it goes over a unit replacement ,

It's like that for transmissions and engines ,,,

I see how it SEEMS but it's not a minimum thing at all and no one at a dealer thinks that

Oil pump and pickup screen was changed. When I start the truck the noise is gone, but when it warms up I can still hear a tapping sound like a lifter and the truck seems to be a slug now, I didn't get it to race it but when I punch it the truck seems to be sluggish. It's going back to the dealer.

Couple of possibilities on being down on power, first is if the ECM has battery connection removed long enough, it will have to relearn your driving habits, and the possibility is likely what is happening. That ticking you are hearing may be setting off the knock sensor, which will retard timing.

Also keep in mind that atmospheric conditions will also impact how the engine feels. It is far more noticeable in the summer months though. My 2000 GTP would lose power to the point that the girlfriend would notice it on hot humid days when she was driving.

I hear ya --- these L series engines are getting crazy ...

Mine is a LMG ... which is the same as a LY5 (non-flex fuel) ... and the LH6 is the same as that except for an aluminum block. No idea what an LY6 is. Must be a newer version of the LY5 .. ???

At this stage I'd be content with an Edlebrock carburetor, and a set of points .... so sick of damn computers in every aspect of my life. They're great ..... WHEN they WORK ... :nonod:

The Vortec 6000 LY6 is a Generation IV small block V8 truck engine. It shares the same bore and stroke as its LQ4 predecessor, and also features variable valve timing. Cast iron block, aluminum heads.

LY6 applications:

* 2007-present Chevrolet Silverado HD
* 2007-present GMC Sierra HD
* 2007-present Chevrolet Suburban 3/4 ton
* 2007-present GMC Yukon XL 3/4 ton

Most jap motorcycle/ off-road engines have full floating pins - I have yet to hear one make any kind of noise, other than timing chain noise on Hondas, or valve tick on air cooled Kawis. I think manufacturing quality at GM, and some others, has taken a turn for the worst. Never had these kinds of issues back in the day. Nobody would have tolerated it!

For reference, the engine code is the 8th digit of the VIN. To find the engine, use this link https://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vincards/. Select the right model year and vehicle class.

In the case of this thread where there is no VIN mentioned, use this link http://www.ls-guy.com/ly6/. Generally, another GM engine designation can be entered in place of the "ly6" to get a summary.

All I can say is if my 2011 5.3 gives me any serious issues after the warranty is up, it will be a crate motor for me, a 6.2 drop in! With the cost of labour, your better off just throwing in a new engine instead of rebuilding half of an old one.

Archived