New 2015 Silverado Custom - The right truck for you?

Gorehamj

Silverado custom 15.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
2/12/2015

Answer these quick questions to see if you might be interested in the new Chevy Silverado Custom trim level about to be introduced at the Chicago Auto Show. Do you:

• Expect to keep your trucks for a long time.
  • Want a truck that is as dependable as you are.
  • Prefer a stylish exterior and a clean, functional interior.
  • Want a vehicle that will be easy to maintain and inexpensive to repair.

Chevy says these are the things its designers had in mind when they configured the new Silverado Custom. Chevy started with the double-cab Silverado LS. Then Chevy added the following to features to that base truck:

20-inch aluminum wheels - chrome bumpers - body-colored top cap above the front bumper - chrome mirror caps and door handles.

The Custom has a lot of other standard features starting with full doors and Chevy MyLink with 4G LTE WiFi.

Silverado custom graphic.jpg

Sandor Piszar, marketing director for Chevy Trucks explained that although the high-end of the Chevy truck line is selling very well, “... there are also millions of customers in the heart of the market who want a great looking, well-equipped truck at an affordable price."

Chevy plans to price the new Silverado Custom 2WD with the 5.3-liter V8 at about $34,000. A 4WD version will start at about $38,000. Expect trucks to begin arriving at dealers in early spring.

Silverado custom 15.jpg

Silverado custom 15.jpg

Silverado custom 15.jpg

I wonder why they haven't shown any details on the C/K 10 package for the LS trim (what was 2WT).

NEW! C/K 10, includes (RHO) 20" x 9" silver painted aluminum wheels, (QSS) P275/55R20 all-season, blackwall tires, (E20) chrome door handles and (DP9) chrome mirror caps

EDIT: It appears GM is just retarded when it comes to naming. This is the C/K10 package but they are calling it "Custom." Odd considering there is Custom Sport Truck and now this. I feel like they were aiming for a "Custom Deluxe" style revival.

So it's the same LT all star edition like my 2014 for the same price? Got it.

No no no. It's a "Custom" truck now.

The sad part of that is the description. You now have to buy a "Custom" truck to get these qualities?

• Want a truck that is as dependable as you are.
  • Prefer a stylish exterior and a clean, functional interior.
  • Want a vehicle that will be easy to maintain and inexpensive to repair.

Kind of raises the question, what do you get with any other model?

"I guess I'll stick with my '94 that's been paid off for 17 years now."

That's the way I felt about my '97 Silverado, until it was totaled last May by a lady in an F-150.

Nothing to jump at for sure...I will keep mine...

2010 GMC 2x4 LMG 5.3 6 spd auto Reg Cab WT with 17x9 MT Classic Black

Looking at Edelbrocks Supercharger as THE upgrade...

Anyone else done the build?

Built a 2004 Reg cab LQ9 added 6 speed hurst shifted giddy up!

Given GM's track record on reliablility the past 20 years, I'll wait and see on these claims ....

$34 - $38k is "affordable" ?? Affordable to me is $1k .... so they were close. :crackup:

To me it looks like a re-named All-Star Edition. Personally, I like the name "All-Star Edition" better.

GM has always done this. Slap some stickers on a certain model and call it a special edition: Marketing.

It will attract some buyers for sure.

But, just like the All-Star, after several months, Chevy will run a promotion featuring huge discounts on the "Custom Edition". I think the last All-Star discount was something like $7,500. So it would be worth the wait IMO.

Complete crud. GM Dealers will not schedule or work on trucks older than 10 years. Some will, but most are sticking to this "rule". I had to open a complaint case with GM HQ to find a dealer to fix my A/C on a 1995 Yukon a few years ago when I was in the lower 48. Three service managers actually argued with GM that they wouldn't look at it. Actually kept us from buying a new car from the same netowrk of that dealership. "Like a rock, keep your trucks for a long time, longest lasting trucks on the road"...but we won't fix them.

Like said earlier, those four characteristics are what I want in EVERY vehicle.

GM Dealers will not schedule or work on trucks older than 10 years.

My '94 has never been back to a dealer since I bought it new off the lot. 220K miles and runs like a champ. I've had some repairs but nothing too expensive - water pump, fuel pump, alternator, muffler, catalytic converter, etc.

Normal scheduled tune ups, oil changes, and filter replacements plus a transmission flush every 70K miles.

Complete crud. GM Dealers will not schedule or work on trucks older than 10 years. Some will, but most are sticking to this "rule". I had to open a complaint case with GM HQ to find a dealer to fix my A/C on a 1995 Yukon a few years ago when I was in the lower 48. Three service managers actually argued with GM that they wouldn't look at it. Actually kept us from buying a new car from the same netowrk of that dealership. "Like a rock, keep your trucks for a long time, longest lasting trucks on the road"...but we won't fix them.

I had my 12 year old Silverado to a couple of dealers after 10 years. No problem at all getting it serviced.

I have receipts to prove it.

Why should they work on them? The truck is 10 years old or better and why would you take a 10+ year old truck to the dealer to get it fixed, is that not what the family owned and operated auto repair shops are for?

Why should they work on them? The truck is 10 years old or better and why would you take a 10+ year old truck to the dealer to get it fixed, is that not what the family owned and operated auto repair shops are for?

My current dealer IS family owned. Why take it to the dealer? Jennings will fix it RIGHT and guarantee their work. Pricing is competitive too, and no knockoff parts.

Archived