HID Headlight Shootout - All three options tested

Hey Dangerdick,

Have you had any problems with the HID's in your 2015? I had Shaw GMC in Calgary install Bright Source in my SLT 2015 and they have gone through four kits and gave up and went back to stock saying its not possible with the 2015 GMC Sierras SLTs. Initially mine worked for a week and then would not come on when -14 C for an hour. Recommendations?

No issues at all. I did mine myself and used a TRS kit. It's totally possible and they're just jerking you around.

I sell the Brightsource for the Dodge applications as they build the CANBUS system into the ballasts and it's much cleaner than the interface kit from Beamers, but for the GMC's I'd go with TRS for sure.

Shoot me and PM and I can give you more info if you want.

I tried to PM you but it won't let me, inbox full maybe?

Aside from the bowing, how did you like the beam pattern of the 350s vs the FX-R?

It doesn't really bow. The beam pattern is very wide. I think it's a great light. I have CBIs in them and was simply plugging them into the TRS 35w ballasts in my truck for tuning.

I'll dump some PMs and try it again tomorrow.

I would love to do the FxR Retrofit but getting ahold of an extra set of headlights is kind of expensive and so far they are not offering a core exchange program.

I purchased a set of "Surplus" SLT/Denali headlights on eBay from "mini-genie". The part numbers for the SLT/Denali versions with the LED's are L/H 23130715 ($488.99), R/H 23130716 ($438.99). I also found a site (Rydell Surplus OEM http://store.surplusgm.com/14-15-GMC-SIERRA-LH-LED-HEADLAMP_p_35023.html)that sells the same headlights but when I talked to them on the phone, they charge $50 Core per headlight plus shipping.

I know I spent a lot of money on mine, but I figured since I bought a brand new 2015 truck and I'm opening an expensive set of headlights, I might as well keep the stock set for as long as the warranty period if there is ever an issue with the electrical system related to lighting. I bought the FX-R retrofit kit from Fast Headlights and just waiting for a pinched nerve in my neck to heal before I can tackle the job.

• Like 2

I purchased a set of "Surplus" SLT/Denali headlights on eBay from "mini-genie". The part numbers for the SLT/Denali versions with the LED's are L/H 23130715 ($488.99), R/H 23130716 ($438.99)....

OK, I honestly don't know... do these solve the issues we've been having?: poor reach-out-and-touch, awful left side illumination. I just haven't heard or read anyone mention the SLT/Denali LED lamps. Doesn't mean anything... as much interest and traffic there has been on the lighting, I'm sure I missed some things.

EDIT: Nevermind... I thought these were lamps with LED headlamp illumination. My bad...

Edited by lrymal

If your mod caused a problem, you ought to fix it on your nickel.

Yep. No argument there. I have the TRS Sierra Spec kit in there now and haven't had any trouble from it and don't anticipate any. I'm just not satisfied with the output of the stock projectors after having done the mini h1 retrofit in my 2001 Denali XL. By keeping the stock set, if something does go south, I'd at least be able to put it back to the stock configuration and start troubleshooting from there to make sure the OEM system works...(Peace of mind, more than anything)

I'm excited to begin work on my RX350 Retrofit and I have already preordered new DRLs :)

11025168_10152999052896084_4786633789006

where did you preorder those from?

EDIT: nvm, just found them on oracle's website

http://www.automotivelightstore.com/2014-2015GMCSierraORACLEColorSHIFTDRLKitPRE-ORDER.aspx

$400 is quite high for some color changing DRLs IMO

Edited by Mike1220

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dangerdick,

Have you had any problems with the HID's in your 2015? I had Shaw GMC in Calgary install Bright Source in my SLT 2015 and they have gone through four kits and gave up and went back to stock saying its not possible with the 2015 GMC Sierras SLTs. Initially mine worked for a week and then would not come on when -14 C for an hour. Recommendations?

I have had my TRS kit in for about a month now with Temps reaching -28C in the morning. Zero Issues. Hghly recommend.