I own a 2015 Suburban LT and I say NO NO NO!! Dont' do it! Stay with your 20 inch wheels. If you prefer form over function then fine, otherwise, I repeat don't get 22 inch wheels.

Unfortunately, I listened to the masses on this thread about how it would not affect the ride quality and went ahead and purchased a set of KMC 705 slide 22X9 wheels with a set of Lexani 285/45/22 tires for $1869. I installed them 2/1/18, tomorrow 2/4/18 they are coming off and the 20's are going back on. While they looked amazing on the truck, the ride quality was absolute RUBBISH! My 2003 suburban with a 3 inch lift and rockstar MT tires rode better than this! You literally feel every bump in the road. I can not believe how bad the quality of the ride is now.With the 20's the the truck would glide over bumps like butter, now...well I think I summed it up. 

I am buying the same wheels in 20's.

If anybody is looking for the set that I bought, let me know. You'll save some coin. Less than 75 miles on the tires.

20180201_115427 (1) (1).jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It’s probably the Lexani tires. My 22” Bridgestone tires road just as smooth as the 20” OE wheel/tire setup. My only issue is the 22’s have a bit less life expectancy and if you’re on a trip it’s easier to buy an in stock 20” vs trying to locate a 22”. 

Just my .02

• Like 1

If you use your vehicle in deep snow or off road, less wheel, more rubber is way better. Cheaper. more options for tires. But if you are asking, you probably don't drive under these conditions.

I ordered my 2018 specifically with 20's, so can't say what 22's feel like. I have had Jeeps and corvettes and know, more rubber feels better, rides better.

It is the exact same reason people always complain about the ride quality of runflat tires... The stiff sidewalls  / lack of sidewalls, makes for a very stiff ride. If that's what you want in a truck, so be it. The irony is performance cars / tires have always had stiff sidewalls for that reason, now people on sports car forums complain about runflats!!! The only advantage I see in 22's is a bit more response when steering, and looks, although to me big wheels on a truck scream "ON ROAD VEHICLE".

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2018 at 9:43 PM, Sidewayz said:

It’s probably the Lexani tires. My 22” Bridgestone tires road just as smooth as the 20” OE wheel/tire setup. My only issue is the 22’s have a bit less life expectancy and if you’re on a trip it’s easier to buy an in stock 20” vs trying to locate a 22”. 

Just my .02

Sidewayz, I here what you're saying and you could be correct. A bunch of my friends recommended the same thing, but I'm not about to dump another $1000+ on new tires only to have the ride marginally better. Also, I see you own an LTZ which has the magnetic ride control, that helps tremendously with the ride quality. Although, the shocks are being pushed to the limits. Unfortunately, I read some articles explaining this after I purchased the package. 

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/04/important-advice-buy-gmc-yukon-denali-doesnt-look-like-yukon-denali/

• 2 months later...

I can tell a yuge difference in ride quality on my 08 ltz Tahoe, maybe cause it's a 5.3 an not a 6.2 the 22s look beautiful I get looks an compliments all the time but the 20s ride 10x nicer. I got a drive shaft bearing that needs to be changed now an this weird dif noise up front from the weight of the 22s. Maybe since I'm 30 I'll still love them but once my 20s fo back on in the fall they're staying on 20180327_124131.thumb.jpg.43aa6c581ea876ba226af98949d446ba.jpg

My wife’s ‘13 Escalade ESV has OEM 22’s and my ‘15 Yukon XL Denali has OEM 22’s, both have magnetic ride control and I think they’re both are very smooth nice riding vehicles. 

As fas as as a previous poster using Lexani tires, I can guarantee your experience would have been different with a higher quality tire.

Wheel weights can vary quite a bit depending on the wheel style and type, not just diameter. Do not assume because it is a larger diameter that the whee is heavier.  In regards to OEM wheels as far as weight of 20’s vs 22’s, I would guess the weight difference between the two including tires is 7-9 lbs. +/-.

Here are some interesting wheel weights that you may find useful:

Escalade OEM 22’s w/ 285/45/22 tire came in at 89 lbs.

24” x 10” OEM Replicas w/ 305/35/24 tire came in at 95.2 lbs.

26” x 10” DUB Future w/ 295/30/26 tire came in at 88.4 lbs.

• 2 months later...

After test driving the 20" last minute looks of the 22" I said why not. I dont tow that much..... but after my second long trip 4+ hrs on the highway at 70+ MPH the 22's are NOT as soft as the 20" i test drove. I took it in for a balance, they said two were above well above 10 on the balance machine.... they re-balanced the wheels and it feels a lot better but still not as smooth as I would prefer from a $65k vehicle but I blame myself for the last minute decision. 

2" of more rubber buffer on the road makes a noticeable difference to me 

• 11 months later...

Just found a set of used 22s with brand new Michelins for $800. Couldn’t pass up the deal. Wheels and tires were cheaper than a new set of tires in the original 20s. Definitely rides rougher and you feel every defect in the road. Sure looks good though. On the 20s it just floated down the road.....

53C83F3F-A250-442A-8635-716D09D0BA55.jpeg

Edited by Racindave
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think the 20's look just fine on most Suburbans. I don't even think that the 18's look bad on the LT's, but 20" is definitely ideal I think and suits the vehicle well. If you're talking about a Denali or an Escalade you really "need" the 22's, though. Those just don't look complete without them. I think most of the 22" OEM wheel styles look pretty nice, and there's a lot of them!  

I had actually intended to buy a Burb with 20" wheels, but the one I wanted had been sold the day before. The one I got was identical, just had 22" wheels and the added anti-theft package that I wanted anyways, so bought it. Ride was definitely not ideal with the factory Bridgestones. It was definitely on the harsh side, but acceptable to all. I just swapped them out for Michelin Premier LTX not because of ride complaints but because of durability concerns on the Bridgestones. The ride is WAY better, like 75% better, with the Michelins vs Bridgestone. No more mild but annoying highway buffeting at the few speeds the Bridgestones did it at (63 and 66 mph), and much improved low speed "body booming" over bumps too. Definitely worth the upgrade. So if you have 22" wheels and aren't happy with the ride, definitely get a set of the Michelins.

Roads are pretty well maintained where I live, but if I lived in NYC or Michigan where some of the roads are downright awful and not maintained well at all, I'd never get the 22's even with the Michelins. 20" tops. Sometimes you need the extra sidewall!   

Edit: Saw a few Yukon XL's today with the 18" wheels and I think they look fine, just base. 

IMG_3282ap-HD.thumb.jpg.ccfe138dcb5df6238eb1be3332617a99.jpg

Edited by S P