wiring 2014 Suburban 1500 LT

teddyv2

Question

My 2014 Suburban LT 1500 didn't come with Homelink in the roof console. Although the roof console has the mount for the Homelink transmitter there is no pigtail for the Homelink. Since Homelink is in many GM truck roof consoles, the wire loom feeds all of female connectors comming in. However the male connector that plugs in does not have a homelink pigtail commming out, but does have unused pin locations.

A Homelink has three wires: a 12v lead, a ground lead and an accessory lighting lead. Although Chevrolet Parts has no pigtail to retrofit a Homelink, it should be a simple matter to utilize the male connector's unused pin locations ... but which ones?

Does anyone have a GM diagram for the 2014 Chevrolet Suburban roof console wire loom that identifies the pin connections? Thanks to anyone who has any information.

• Answers 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Bob, for the alldata.com website. I'm trying to figure it out right now, but it seems a bit complex to get to the source for information. I'm surprised the site only goes to 2013 Chevy Suburban, but figure '13 and 14 should be pretty much the same. Tried to submit their mailing list but keep getting sent to error page so will call them tomorrow.

Aaaa ... try the Veal????

Thanks for the information.

Yes, from what I can see, the colors from the feed loom are there and I'll need the connectors for the overhead wire junction to feed the homelink GDO. The Homelink has three wires which on testing I believe to be; orange (12v), green (12v accessory light) and brown/white trace (-/grnd).

I just went to the Mouser site and will need to search for the insert pin connectors to connect wires to the harness. I'm miffed that GM doesn't sell the separate components like the harness and blank cover with the cutouts for the components. You have to buy the whole console w/components and, according to the GM parts schematics, you still might not get the harness for it … makes no sense. Unless there something GM did with the computers that read the ohms loads.

That's why I'm a little paranoid that connecting the wires to the Homelink may send some kind of weird ohms signal to the computers that there's an imbalance somewhere and screw something else up … POS computers again! I'm trying it anyway.

No luck with T&C.com Can I use any of Mouser's terminals below to do this the right way? Because I'm thinking of soddering the wires flat, filing to terminal size and pushing them into the connector.

Remove Product Detail
Customer Part #
Order Qty.
Price
(USD)
Ext.
(USD)
Mouser #: 829-15304722 qvBtn.png

Mfr. #: 15304722-L Manufacturer: Delphi Connection Systems Desc.: Automotive Connectors MALE 280 SERIES TIN CBL RNG 1.85-1.20MM RoHS: RoHS Compliant Info: View Additional Product Info

Availability
10 Ships Now
$0.22 $2.20
Mouser #: 829-12191138 qvBtn.png

Mfr. #: 12191138 Manufacturer: Delphi Connection Systems Desc.: Automotive Connectors MALE GT280 TIN PLT CBL RANGE 0.80MM RoHS: RoHS Compliant

Availability
10 Ships Now
$0.12 $1.20
Mouser #: 829-15304702-L qvBtn.png

Mfr. #: 15304702-L Manufacturer: Delphi Connection Systems Desc.: Automotive Connectors TERM GT 150 MALE RoHS: RoHS Compliant Info: View Additional Product Info

Availability
10 Ships Now
$0.16 $1.60

By submitting your order you agree to these terms and conditions.

For additional information on availability, click on the Mouser Part #. MERCHANDISE TOTAL: $5.00 SHIPPING CHARGE: Estimate

Connector looks like Delphi 13516907

It uses terminals 15304701-L for 20ga and smaller wires and 15304702-L for 18ga wire.

My guess is the pigtail 13505907 is to plug to the homelink unit. Service connectors usually have only about 6" wire s and usually they are all the same color, such as all white.

My Homelink installation turned out fine. It's nice to be able to press the button on a console rather than the old remote that wasn't always efficient.

The next thing I wanted to do was add puddle lights. I thought I could simply order the parts and install them into the mirrors and plug them into the switch and I'd have them. But I'm finding that it's not that simple. The puddle lights seem to only be on mirrors that have power folding with indicators … the DL3 option. Are you aware of any other way that puddle light can be installed?

You should start a new topic regarding install of puddle light mirrors. I am guessing with out power fold mirror they will NOT work. Upgrade to power fold mirrors MAY require mirrors, switch(es) (driver, possibly passenger too), maybe wiring harnesses to switches. Then you still might need dealer programing? Sorry I do not have an answer.

Wow … you are a wealth of information. I'll check into that next to see where this block is. Is X14 located in the Center Inst Panel fuse block under dash and left of column?

As far as the pins go, I would order the the 20ga pins too, but Mouser shows out of stock and a 9 week wait. I'll have to find them. By the way, I've asked these questions over at the dealership and all I usually get is we can't do it. With your knowledge of electrical you should teach GM techs and upfitters.

Found the pins I need … have to spring for the minimum order of 15.00. While at the terminals and connectors site I had a look at the Delphi GT 150 block assembly and disassembly. After I crimp on the wires, am I understanding this correctly that you just push in the new pins till they click to lock position and that's it?

Correct. If the connector has a Terminal lock, it goes in next.

You will need an "open barrel" crimper/crimping pliers if you do not have one. That will help make the $15 minimum if you have to buy one.

I did some research on Delphi connectors and think it's:

16 Way Black GT 150 280 Unsealed Male Connector Assembly Part #13513961

But no terminal connector for 18 and 20ga wire on this either. Do you think I can make terminal 15304702 work?

If this is the correct connector, can you determine if you need GT 150 or GT 280 terminals?

From your picture earlier I guessed it was Part number 13516907 which is a 16 way GT 150 series connector. Meaning it does not use GT 280 terminals.

GT 150 are 1.5mm wide male blade

GT 280 are 2.8mm wide male blade

T

Still have to find the 20ga terminals (PN 15304701-L). It's been a while, but might go to a juck yard to see what I can dig up. I'll disconnect the battery negative before I install the Homelink to avoid any voltage spikes, but I'm still concerned about messing up a computer.

Try terminalsandconnectors.com, just leave the "-L" off the part number

Made mistake on last post. Colors aren't important but the terminal locations are Homelink purple w/white tracer to #9 splice (negative grnd.), orange to terminal #10 (switched ign.); green to #11 (accessory lighting).

No luck with T&C.com Can I use any of Mouser's terminals below to do this the right way? Because I'm thinking of soddering the wires flat, filing to terminal size and pushing them into the connector.

Remove Product Detail

Customer Part #

Order Qty.

Price

(USD)

Ext.

(USD)

Mouser #: 829-15304722 qvBtn.png

Mfr. #: 15304722-L Manufacturer: Delphi Connection Systems Desc.: Automotive Connectors MALE 280 SERIES TIN CBL RNG 1.85-1.20MM RoHS: RoHS Compliant Info: View Additional Product Info

Availability

10 Ships Now

$0.22 $2.20

Mouser #: 829-12191138 qvBtn.png

Mfr. #: 12191138 Manufacturer: Delphi Connection Systems Desc.: Automotive Connectors MALE GT280 TIN PLT CBL RANGE 0.80MM RoHS: RoHS Compliant

Availability

10 Ships Now

$0.12 $1.20

Mouser #: 829-15304702-L qvBtn.png

Mfr. #: 15304702-L Manufacturer: Delphi Connection Systems Desc.: Automotive Connectors TERM GT 150 MALE RoHS: RoHS Compliant Info: View Additional Product Info

Availability

10 Ships Now

$0.16 $1.60

By submitting your order you agree to these terms and conditions.

For additional information on availability, click on the Mouser Part #. MERCHANDISE TOTAL: $5.00 SHIPPING CHARGE: Estimate

Of these:

First is GT 280 series for 22-20ga wire

Second is GT 280 series for 18ga wire

Third is for GT 150 series for 18ga wire

I did some research on Delphi connectors and think it's:

16 Way Black GT 150 280 Unsealed Male Connector Assembly Part #13513961

But no terminal connector for 18 and 20ga wire on this either. Do you think I can make terminal 15304702 work?

Have you determined your wire size?

Have you determined terminal series?

15304702 is GT 150 series for 18ga wire. If you are putting it on 20ga wire simply strip more insulation off and double (fold back) the wire this will make 20ga slightly bigger than 18ga and work.

Archived