Tips for getting most MPG out of 5.3 V8

Below is the link to the thread i mentioned. A bunch of people go back and forth about the flash counter and warranty.. I still don't know what is actually the truth on tune and warranty topic.. so if anyone has any definitive answers one way or another please share!

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/158551-2014-engine-transmission-tuning/page-2

post 79 has a good explanation in that thread

Thanks! I think I have actually read that thread before. I'll call Diablo about it right now and post an update by days end.

Suburban driving kills your mpgs, where I live nothing but stop signs and red lights. Mpg around 10 to 12 .

Yeah, to get optimum gas mileage out of these trucks you have to just barely feather the accelerator pedal.....

Like there's no more fuel on earth and you have to make it last forever!

Stop sign to stop sign, your screwed.

The winter blend and extended idling has brought my average tank from 18-19 to 15-16 in mixed driving. Typical scenario, but still bugs me wondering if it'll come back up to "normal" in the spring/summer. All that being said, I've lost about 1 mpg from level and going from 18s to 20s. Still in low 20's on the highway under 75, in most cases.

Thanks! I think I have actually read that thread before. I'll call Diablo about it right now and post an update by days end.

Hey Crafferty, did you get any clarification from Diablo? curious as to what they have to say

Hey Crafferty, did you get any clarification from Diablo? curious as to what they have to say

Sorry about yesterday, my first phone call ended up taking longer than expected. However, I was able to call Diablosport today. GM does has a flash counter, no argument there. But what they told me is that when the tuner flashes the modules in the vehicle it is not record. Basically, GM has a certain procedure that they follow when they flash a vehicle that registers a new flash. Diablosport does not register a new flash, period. They also assured me that their product is still undectable and they prise themselves in that and will continue to do so.

I put a K&N CAI on mine yesterday and driving it 110 miles today was impressive. The MPG's jumped two or three, maybe more if I would quit romping on it to hear the CAI. I'm being honest, I am thoroughly impressed. All of the negative posts on here about CAI not doing much and being a waste of money was totally not my experience. It should be mentioned that I have a 6" Zone lift, 35" mud tires, Hypretech programmer. I also added an oil catch can when I put on the CAI. This has been the biggest jump in MPG's I've had. The tune did a little, but the CAI made it into a different truck.

Sorry about yesterday, my first phone call ended up taking longer than expected. However, I was able to call Diablosport today. GM does has a flash counter, no argument there. But what they told me is that when the tuner flashes the modules in the vehicle it is not record. Basically, GM has a certain procedure that they follow when they flash a vehicle that registers a new flash. Diablosport does not register a new flash, period. They also assured me that their product is still undectable and they prise themselves in that and will continue to do so.

And if it is detected, do they agree to cover the repair costs that would have been covered by GM?

And if it is detected, do they agree to cover the repair costs that would have been covered by GM?

That sounds like a great question for you to ask Diablosport (561-908-0040). Just think of it like this guys. You have two fisherman, fisherman A only fishes for crab while the fisherman B fishes for crab, tuna and lobster. More than likely fisherman A will be a better fisherman than fisherman B because fisherman A specializes in only one area. While fisherman B is spread across the board and has to divide up his time. That's how I view Diablosport vs the automotive manufactures. It's like when Apple comes out with a new version of iOS. Usually within a couple weeks that new iOS is already jailbroken and the 3rd party app world is up and running again on the newest Apple products (just a quick easy example). Bring on the flame!

perfect thanks for following up on this!

They can't deny warranty work just for having the tune, they have to show that the tune caused the damage.

Oh so very true!

Just a quick update for the OP. Yesterday I went on a little road trip that equated to exactly one tank of gas. I drove a little over 400 miles from Tuscaloosa, AL to Lynchburg, TN. In the city I averaged about 12.7mpg, on the highway through hills I hit 17-18mpg and on the highway on flat ground I was between 19.5-21mpg. Overall trip I averaged 17.7mpg, this includeds 50 miles of city driving and the rest highway (75-77mph). I would have picked up another 1-1.5mpg but on the way back I had my tonneau cover completely off. So thats why I feel your numbers are spot on and of course on the highway you'll be doing better than me with your 5.3L.

Archived