I bought a 2014 Silverado LTZ with zero miles less what i put on it during the test drive and 3 months after driving it off the lot it started having issues. Biggest issue is while doing 85 on the interstate the truck downshifted from fifth to first very briefly. Took it in to be serviced but the dealership could not duplicate and GM says theres nothing they can do about it. I have to take it in when it happens. Thing is, next time could be deadly for me. after stating that all I got was, well I'm sorry but I don't know what else to tell you. Also while at the dealer, they worked on the vibration. First GM wanted them to switch the wheels with another like truck but realized that was not the issue. Next they told the dealer to change the rear end only to realize they didn't have any to send the dealer. Then they told the dealer to change the shims only to realize they didn't have any to send to them. One day out of the blue, shims show up. The dealer puts them on and says the truck is fixed. There is also a squeak in the rear end but the dealer says they can't duplicate it. All they have to do is listen. Well, after being in the shop for 45 days the vibration is still there. Can't put my head on the head rest without getting a headache, the squeak was never touched so it is still there. The auto heat and cool seat were reported as working to spec although I can auto start the truck twice for a total run time of 15-20 minutes and the seats are ice cold. Run my wifes 2015 malibu for 10 minutes and the seats are very warm to the touch. I have lost all faith in GM. I do not feel they care about anything but the dollar. When I stated that should I, a passenger or other drivers be injured should the truck downshift again they will be out of more money than just replacing the truck and the reply I received was, I'm sorry but I don't know what else to tell you but we can't change the vehicle.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing you are complaining about has to do with safety. Heated seats are not a safety issue. Neither are vibrations. Why are you doing 85 on the highway?

A truck downshifting won't injure anyone so please whatever you are smoking pass it to the rest of us.

You are nitpicking about your inconveniences if anything.

Welcome to the forum!

Also the speed I was doing is nothing to you. Who are you the speed police And a truck downshifting that low going that fast is dangerous because it cause the truck to fish tail. Why don't you stop trying to counter what everyone says. You must work for GM

The transmissions on today's vehicles won't actually downshift....unless it's a manual with a clutch.

No, I don't think he's the speed police.....just concerned with YOUR safety!

Have you taken the dealer for a ride to demonstrate the squeak you are hearing?

Have you remote started the vehicle in front of them to show them that the seats do not warm up properly?

Have you tried taking your vehicle to a different dealer? Or anyone else for a second opinion?

Welcome to the forum!

A downshift to 5th or 4th while doing 85 is not a safety issue. My truck will hit triple digits in 3rd. The safety issue is breaking the speed limit. There is no justification for breaking the law unless your truck belongs to emergency services and you were on duty

And I gave you one. The downshift isnt a safety issue and the truck felt to maintain your speed it needed a lower gear. 4th is 1:1 and both 5th and 6th are overdrive gears. It wouldnt necessarily be a safety issue but it downshifting to 2nd or 3rd would be a problem. If you feel all these are safety issues please by all means take it up with GM and the BBB so you can Lemon Law your truck

The Op said from 6th to 1st, that would be a safety issue. At that speed you would blow past the electronic rev limiters and could cause mechanical damage, also it could cause the rear wheels to lock up which as the OP said could cause the rear end to get out of control.

This is something we dealt with when racing motorcycles, if you dropped too many gear and then dumped the clutch out the same problem would rear its head, if you didn't catch it you might end up on your side.

The Op said from 6th to 1st, that would be a safety issue. At that speed you would blow past the electronic rev limiters and could cause mechanical damage, also it could cause the rear wheels to lock up which as the OP said could cause the rear end to get out of control.

This is something we dealt with when racing motorcycles, if you dropped too many gear and then dumped the clutch out the same problem would rear its head, if you didn't catch it you might end up on your side.

You mean you could read what he wrote? LOL. No way it went to 1st but I bet that it sounded (RPM wise) like it did. If it hit 1st he'd be out an engine.

Look, I had a police car and ambulance in front of me and two police cars and a rescue vehicle behind me. My profession is none of anyone's business. I did not post to divulge my career. I posted for adult replies about my truck.

Paparazzi?

Are you sure you weren't going 95? Cause man, as soon as that governor kicks in on these Silverados the truck feels like its done dropped a few gears. I second the other posters on here when they say you'd be out a truck if it dropped all the way to 1st at 85.

And no, it is not anyone's business to know why you were going that fast other than the police. But you can get on here an make an uproar about safety then get all pissy when people ask why you're going 85....

The vibrations at highway speeds have been a known issue as well as the auto heat seats not getting very warm. But trust me they heat up, i used an IR thermometer on my truck to tell for sure. Also, they do not engage unless your truck registers a certain ambient temperature. Same for the cooling feature.

I bet you anything you were hauling 90+ and had your governor and limiters kick in the truck takes on a whole other persona when that happens and the first time mine did that I didn't know what the heck was going on.

Also you may want to check into a recent recall on the Silverados, An Unwanted Transfer Case Shirt to Neutral.

You're in the process of learning your truck. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Archived