• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, I've been very busy. I was not going 95, I am positive I was doing 85, the tailor button was not engaged or any other questioned action. I did not get upset about some of the replies although some people should focus on the issue rather than my personal actions without knowing the facts. I have been arguing with GM because the problem happened again today. The truck is scheduled to go back to the shop tomorrow and I will see what happens from there.

Do you have the 5.3 with 3.42 gears. Someone just posted yesterday that GM has a new tune to clean up the shifts, more firm shifts and better shift points.

Thank you, I missed my scheduled appointment but will bring it up when I take the truck in.

And swiflty you will be hit with a dumb look from your service advisor.

This is something they are well versed in ., Acting like they have ZERO clue and everything is running normal .

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that GM is not taking care of their safety issuesI have a 2014 GMC all terrain package I was passing a car on the turnpike and 80 mph speed limit is 70 mph had a very bad vibration from rear-ended luckily it wasn't snowing that day I could have been in a accident , also have a flexible gas pedal bracket that GM does not want to take care of ,so I had to drill holes through the fire wall to secure the gas pedal bracket , did call GM corporate about these issues they did not do anything about them so again GM is not taking care of their products.

I had a 2014 allstar 5.3 double silverado that would randomly down shift when ever it wanted, didnt matter what speed i was doing, could be 35, or 55 and it would bark the rear tires. It didnt happen all the time but it always happened when i let off the gas. And guess what, the sevice department could never duplicate the issue, nor could they ever get rid of the vibration issues i had with that truck. The issue is that it should of never down shifted in the first place, it really scared the crap out of me when it did. So i can understand what you experienced. Work with your service department, dont take no for a answer, there are test on the transmission they can run to see if there is an issue with the computer.

My dealer recommended filming intermittent malfunctions. That would be good enough for them to prove the problem exists. Maybe a gopro attached to your window looking at your DIC? Otheer options are some of the code scanners that can record data over time. Anything that can possibly capture what is and is not happening. Best of luck.

I havent read the entire thread but if the truck downshifted to 1st at 85, the rear end would have locked up due to the drastic change in rpms. That would have caused the truck to wheel hop in the back and likely fishtail unless you were a great driver or very lucky. You would have spunout and possibly flipped. Im guessing the truck dropped into 5th gear, not 1st.

In my ls1 swapped '91 mustang I have a 4l60e and I once thought i was in 4th gear until i hit the rev limiter too early. I panicked tried to shift into 4th but the shifter got stuck. I let off the throttle and the exact thing I described above happened. Luckily I only spunout and didnt flip. But doing that at 90mph was pretty scary.

About the op driving 80mph. Really who cares? Here in texas the toll road by my house the limit is 80. Further away from the city it bumps to 85. Driving that fast is not unsafe if you are an attentive driver.

The truck skid and fishtailed very briefly but it was enough to make me pucker up. After explaining that to GM, I got the can't be duplicated crap. I replied, so you want me to wait for it to happen again and possibly get me and/or my passenger and another driver slamming into the rear end hurt or killed? The rep replied, as I have stated if it can't be duplicated we can't do anything about it and that is not a reason to replace your vehicle. Now I don't know about anyone else but that statement sounded to me like GM does not care about our safety.

This is by no means a safety issue. It sucks that you're having this problem, but it isn't a safety problem. Nobody will slam into the rear of you unless they're following illegally close - this won't cause you to stop any faster than when you slam on your brakes. Anti-lock brakes will stop you faster in any situation than locked brakes can. And FYI, all recent GM vehicles have a limp mode that causes RPMs to drop immediately to <1000 rpm when certain engine problems occur. It could be at 100 mph or even when pulling out into traffic - still not a safety issue. This happens occasionally on my wife's Yukon and we haven't been able to find the cause. Just remain calm and apply your brakes.

And how did you know your transmission dropped into 1st gear? There's no gear indication on these vehicles.

You've got to look at this from GM's point of view. If they replaced everybody's truck that "claimed" to have a safety problem, they'd be bankrupt again. Look at the other threads in this section - there are dozens of people complaining about every little thing, and they all think they're buy-back worthy.

And yes, there are 85 mph roads here in Texas. Most of the back roads are now 75, and the nice new interstates are 80-85 outside of populated areas.

Archived