Warning, check fluid levels on new trucks

Had a OCD attack after reading this thread. Check all fluids and all is normal.

Makes me want to check mine. I "assumed" the factory would have it right but I guess I'm wrong.

LOL! No need to OCD over this! It just shows that one is wise to check things on a new vehicle, or a used one for that matter. Quality control is a little lacking at some of the assembly plants nowadays. What is truly sad, is how the dealers are not doing their due diligence and thoroughly checking things, even though they are paid by the OEM to do so. And even with that, they tack on some dealer prep charge so that they are getting double to do what they are required to do anyway, yet are not doing at all. Sad business ethic we have to deal with these days.

• 1 month later...

I just did my rear diff at 50k miles. Didn't look too bad. But, here's the scoop on how to fill it up. It can be below the fill plug by a certain amount, but if it is below that you simply fill to the bottom of the fill plug. My 8.6 took close to 3 quarts (regardless of how much the "approximate" capacity is stated to be in the shop manual). I also found the listed approximate capacity of my sister's Cruze transmission for drain/refill to be off also.

1. Remove the rear axle fill plug.
  2. Inspect the lubricant level:

The lubricant level should be between 1-19 mm (0.04-0.75 in) below the fill plug opening for the 8.6 inch axle.

The lubricant level should be between 15-40 mm (0.59-1.57 in) below the fill plug opening for the 9.5 inch LD axle.

1. If the level is low, add lubricant until the level is even with the bottom edge of the fill plug opening. Use the proper fluid. Refer to Fluid and Lubricant Recommendations

• 2 weeks later...

With a grease gun with a tip from an air blower, remove ABS sensors from hub, 30 pumps into hubs while checking for any weeping out of seals. Reinstal ABS sensors and call I a day.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

On my 2019 I needed the DEF filled at 450 miles.  Dealer tried to argue that was not part of PDI and I said it is a fluid and I expect it at proper level.  "you filled up the fuel take right?"    Needless to say it was short argument and they filled it.

• 10 months later...

I just jacked up my 2015 Chevy Silverado and check bearings to my surprise it made a heck of noise and so I checked rear ended and it was 2 quarts low !!! I couldn’t believe it had it since it had 28,000 miles on it !! Bought from a dodge dealer and five star  ? right. It had a wobble in. Truck they put new tires on it and was suppose to service it well now at 100,000 planing a long trip and it was shaking again so checked. Rear END  level I couldn’t even touch fluid WTH !!!!   I notice a paint mark that was on plug and housing of reared , it was not broken so I’m assuming it was done at factory , can any tell if that’s how they do that ??  I know it didn’t leak out because of no dust collected on area where it would be leaking or no drops where I park every nite ??? I will be calling GM  then Red River Dodge of Herber Springs AR 

Edited by Jellybilly
Spelling

On 11/5/2018 at 5:56 PM, GMC4Zee said:

Cowpie, what is the recommended rear diff fluid for the 2500? Still the 75-90 weight mobile one syn?

Yes, 75w-90 is the recommended fluid.  You can look up your vehicle here to see what all is recommended.

16 hours ago, Jellybilly said:

I just jacked up my 2015 Chevy Silverado and check bearings to my surprise it made a heck of noise and so I checked rear ended and it was 2 quarts low !!! I couldn’t believe it had it since it had 28,000 miles on it !! Bought from a dodge dealer and five star  ? right. It had a wobble in. Truck they put new tires on it and was suppose to service it well now at 100,000 planing a long trip and it was shaking again so checked. Rear END  level I couldn’t even touch fluid WTH !!!!   I notice a paint mark that was on plug and housing of reared , it was not broken so I’m assuming it was done at factory , can any tell if that’s how they do that ??  I know it didn’t leak out because of no dust collected on area where it would be leaking or no drops where I park every nite ??? I will be calling GM  then Red River Dodge of Herber Springs AR 

Is the 2015 2500?  6.0 or 6.6?  Had it been sitting long enough for the fluid to run off housing and gear set?

From 2015 OM:

For all 6.0L 2500HD Series applications, the proper level is from 0 mm to 13 mm (0 to 0.5 in)
below the bottom of the fill plug hole, located on the rear axle.
Add only enough fluid to reach the proper level. 

For all 6.6L Duramax Diesel 2500HD Series applications and all 3500 Series applications, the
proper level is from 17 mm to 21 mm (0.6 in to 0.8 in) below the bottom of the fill plug hole,
located on the rear axle. Add only enough fluid to reach the proper level.

Well it sat for a few hrs so yes it had time it is a 1500 v6  4wheel drive , I have a video  it won’t let me load it but I jacked one side up and turn wheel and you could hear metal on metal  and it was two quarts low  yes I filled it up till I could fill it first knuckle of pinky finger   That’s why I think it wasn’t filled at factory , some one in hurry for Friday nite or hang over Monday !! I’m up set about that issue and I’ll call GM and I want this issue taken care of