ATTENTION anyone with oil pressure issues

For those of you that have noticed oil pressure drops, etc. There IS a screen below the oil pressure sending unit that does become clogged!! I have an 07 GMC Sierra, 4x4 Crew Cab, SLE2 package, 144,000 miles. 5.3 litre. I change my oil faithfully at 3000 mile intervals, use Castrol GTX High Mileage oil and Purolator oil filters. Air filter gets replaced every other oil change. Now for what happened...... very cold day, pulled out onto the Interstate and accelerated only to hear the truck rev, and go nowhere. Dropped it out of overdrive and got going, then lost that gear. Limped it to a shop in 2nd....yes the tranny went out. Had a new tranny installed and the mechanics called me and said when they test drove the truck, it had lost oil pressure and shut down. They replaced the oil pressure switch, and it had 40 psi of pressure but slowly dropped down to nothing and shut off. By now the first thought was oil pump or pick up. I called a couple of shops to get answers, and no one ever mentioned (or had even heard of) a screen located just below the oil pressure switch. Called local GM dealer and did confirm that there indeed is a small screen below the switch. $5.80 filter screen. We pulled the old one out, put in the new screen, reinstalled the new pressure switch and all is good. Now some of you may know about this little screen/filter. But I did not, and neither did a few reputable shops. Basically I am posting this to inform others. That's what we're all here for. I'm not sure if this filter is installed on other engines, or even what model year. Maybe someone that knows can chime in. In this case it really paid to call a GM dealership with a good service department. I might have been pulling an engine over a $5.80 filter screen. As to why it plugged up, I'm not sure. We cut apart the oil filter, and no sludge or foreign material. Hopefully this post will help inform someone and save them some big bucks............Or maybe I live in an area where we are way behind on our info on GM vehicles....lolpost-64870-0-99138800-1424401336_thumb.jpg

post-64870-0-99138800-1424401336_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

VIN 2GTEK13M57******* Engine code M

I'm curious if this problem is related to the active fuel management issues these engines had. This truck was built in Jan '07. I started having oil consumption issues at around 50,000 miles. Fought with GM over and over. Starting using well over a quart of oil every 3000 miles. GM stated that was "acceptable". But that is another topic covered on here extensively.

Always when changing an oil pressure sensor on an AFM engine, that filter is supposed to be discarded and replaced.

If equipped with active fuel management perform the following step, using J 41712 oil pressure switch socket or equivalent, remove the oil pressure sensor (706) and washer (707).

Remove and discard oil pressure sensor filter (452).

Edited by newdude
  • Like 2

Thanks a lot! My 2008 Silverado just started do the same thing over the weekend. I love my truck but this thing has been in the Dealership shop for oil burning issues and pressure issues multiple times before. I am going to check this on my own this time.

• Like 2

Here is the update. Took my truck to a friends garage over the weekend and pulled the sending unit and installed new. It definitely had gunk and debris in the screen. We went ahead and changed the oil even though I had 85% life left just to be sure there was nothing in the oil. Fired it up and running great. So a big thanks to everyone for the posts.

• Like 3

On a 2007-2013 Silverado/Sierra 1500 4x4, in order to drop the oilpan to install a new, clean screen, don't you have to remove the front 4 wheel drive differential and remove a frame brace (transmission brace?) just to be able to drop the oilpan? If so, it seems like a heckuva lot of work just to be able to drop the oilpan.

On the old Chevy/GMC's, you just removed the oilpan bolts and dropped the pan.

On a 2007-2013 Silverado/Sierra 1500 4x4, in order to drop the oilpan to install a new, clean screen, don't you have to remove the front 4 wheel drive differential and remove a frame brace (transmission brace?) just to be able to drop the oilpan? If so, it seems like a heckuva lot of work just to be able to drop the oilpan.

The older 99-07 were the same way...something I'm probably looking at having to do eventually...no fun.

The oil pressure sending unit and screen are at the back top of the motor, under the intake manifold, on top of the afm manifold.

• Like 1

Just behind the intake drivers side there in the pressure switch on the engine block. The screens get cluged you can replace just the screen the pressure sensor very rarely screws up. If you have oil consumption problems make sure you have the updated valve cover with the new pcv baffle and if you do have it your looking at piston rings

• Like 1

Happened to the wife's 07 2 springs ago. Driving down the highway and oil press light came on. Googled it and found out about this screen. Changed it and the sensor just in case. Truck has almost 165,000 miles and has been running great since. Uses a little oil but it doesnt bother me.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...