ATTENTION anyone with oil pressure issues

So my 2005 Sierra with the 4.8 had the same issues. It got so bad that after driving just down the road I would lose oil pressure and the engine would be knocking like crazy. I did my research and decided it was probably the oil pump. After hours and hours of changing that out (this was a difficult job as stated before) I started it up and it was idling at 40 and was responsive and running good. Well the next day on my 30 minute drive home from work the oil pressure dropped down extremely low after I got off of the highway and the engine started knocking. It only does it after driving for about half an hour, at first start up and quick drives the pressure stays right above 40 and is running like a dream. If I would have known about these strainer screens I would have done that also but I'm not sure if that is the problem. Any and all input is welcomed!

• 1 month later...

@Mmarch 

what oil and spec are you using?

did you only notice the oil press loss randomly 1 day or did it gradually get worse?

how many oil changes & filters have you gone through since it began happening? Tried using something different?

When you replaced the oil pump, you also replaced the pickup tube Oring?

if all of that checks out you can try heavier oil. Hard to believe you have bearing probs if the oil and air filter was replaced on schedule. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If you have this problem, be prepared to advocate for yourself. I'm having a similar issue, or maybe the same one on my 2013 Silverado 5.3. At about 60K the oil pressure dropped to near zero. The local dealer replaced the oil pump under warranty and said that was unusual but not unheard of. At 90K, same thing. The dealer (a different one, because we had moved) replaced the oil pump (also under warranty) and said they didn't see a reason for the second pump to fail. I asked about the screen, bypass, etc., and they said it was all fine, and that they didn't see anything else wrong, but that if the problem returned we'd be covered. Now at 97K the same thing has happened, but this time they say there's a cam bearing issue causing the pumps to fail and that GM won't cover the repair under warranty because we're 62 months into ownership and this is a different problem. This truck has had excellent care since new, has never been used to tow, and gets mainly highway miles. It's really frustrating that GM won't cover the problem even though it first appeared well within the warranty period. So, if you have this issue, be prepared to be really insistent about finding the root cause when it's under warranty, because if they can get the truck out of the warranty period, you're on your own. Thanks for nothing, GM. We've purchased more than 10 new GM vehicles over the years, but it looks like my next new truck will be a Ford.

• 1 month later...

New here, just purchased 06 Silverado 1500 5.3L 134K miles. My issue is the oil pressure gauge is pegged @ 80. When I start it it goes to 80 and stays there no fluctuation at all. The other day I start it and the gauge goes to 30 then drops to 0 and stays there. I listen for lifter noise and nothing, I shut off and restart goes to 30 then back to 0 and stays. Start again and same thing, still no noise from engine so I drive. After a few miles the gauge goes back to 80 and stays there again with no fluctuation when slowing to idle or speeding up.

Do you think this could be the sending unit? Could it be the gauge in the dash. Any thought will be appreciated

Jeff.

• Like 1

If you can get a oil pressure tester set, you can find out for sure what the exact oil pressure is. If you don't have one you can rent one from an auto parts store. Simply find the correct fitting and screw it in. On the older 5.3 L test port is at bottom of where oil filter housing is.

It can be the oil pressure sensor switch which is in the engine block or the sending unit itself or gauges etc.

Test oil pressure with gauge first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, GMC-AT said:

stepper motor on gauge would be my guess or Oil pressure sender.. both cheap easy fixes

My first try will be the pressure sending unit. Isn't it alot of trouble to tear the dash apart to do the stepper motor?

19 hours ago, GMC-AT said:

no, entire gauge cluster comes out in 2 min.  The motor on the back is easy to change... see youtube for video

Thanks watching now.

• 6 months later...
On 2/22/2019 at 7:28 AM, GMC Sierra fan said:

Common problem doesn't seem to matter what oil I use had this 3 times now always change oil before required full synthetic I've heard of people just removing the screen but I'm to uneasy to do that

Check out my above post/video on how to fix this the right way. If you blow out the passage it tends to fix it. Now, if you just have low oil pressure it could be bacuse of multiple different things from the oil pump pickup oring, the cam bearings failing, the oil pressure relief stuck or weak. But if you do it the way I posted above... I normally don't have any return problems.

• Like 1