Differences between Sierra Denali and Silverado High Country?

mdrew

Figured I’d ask this audience for input. I don’t want to buy a High Country, then two months later regret it after finding out the Denali had some cool feature the H-C does not. (or vise versa)

Other than obvious Chevy / GMC exterior differences, what else is different between the two?

I will be getting the 6.2 liter with the 8 speed, that’s a given; as well as the crew cab with 6’ 4” bed. I’m a bit irritated that I cannot order the Sierra Denali with 3.42 gears, or with the larger tow mirrors. This truck will be a dual purpose vehicle. Comfortable long distance trips, and also used to tow my car hauler around (20’ / 7000 pound loaded).

I do not want the stiffer rear springs, they are not needed. I rarely have over 500 pounds in the bed. I just want the friggin 3.42 gear ratio…. Grrrrrr…. That really pisses me off that the Denali cannot be ordered with that gear ratio and the 6.2 ltr / 8 speed combo….

The fella I’m working with (who orders trucks for the dealership), thinks he can order the High Country with the 3.42 gears (max tow option), AND the 6.2 / 8 speed. He’s trying to get confirmation on this combination now. He's not sure if the H-C can be ordered with just the 3.42, and not have to select the max tow option.

The grill is the most obvious difference. Chevy / GMC front fenders and hood. I really do not have a preference between the two.

The Chevy/H-C has dual head lamps, which I think is an advantage over the single housing GMC’s have.

The Denali has the Mag Ride option, which could improve ride comfort.

The Denali has a configurable electronic gauge cluster, which may or may not be a plus.

The H-C has unique leather, which I do find more appealing that either of the two leather colors that the Denali has. (I like the brown H-C interior)

Anything else I’m missing?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you drive a lot at night, the headlights are much different, and many GMC owners do not like their headlights at all, including me. Also, some people have complained about the ride quality of the H-C. I test drove one (2-14), and it was very stiff. It's possible the dealer ordered something different for that particular truck, I don't know. My '14 GMC SLT rides great (std. susp.). I don't know if GM has changed anything since early 14 or not.

No go on NHT and High Country. NHT and 6.2/8 speed with 3.42 gears is 1LT and 1LTZ only. High Country will be 3.23 with 6.2/8 speed.

Are you sure about that?? I hope not.

So far, the reason for not allowing the NHT option for the SD, is due to the mag ride. I'm baffled why the HC would not have it, if you can get it in the LTZ. That's just, well....stupid. Not shocking though, as GM often has mystical reasons for doing stupid things.

go with the 1LTZ so you can get the mechanical setup you want, all the HC has that you can't get on the LTZ is cosmetic. matching bumpers (which everyone says chip anyway), the brown seats, different grill. You can still get all the same creature comforts. Pretty sure the HC has the same suspension setup as every other non-Z71 chevy, so it shouldn't be harsh at all.

What's wrong with the hatred seats? They work great in my Denali. Not sure about the cooling part yet since its winter time up here

Do the bottom of your seats get warm? 2014 or 2015? Mine don't, in fact it's at the dealer right now for the 3rd time. A lot of people on here are having problems.

What's wrong with the hatred seats? They work great in my Denali. Not sure about the cooling part yet since its winter time up here

Do the bottom of your seats get warm? 2014 or 2015? Mine don't, in fact it's at the dealer right now for the 3rd time. A lot of people on here are having problems.

15 1/2. 2500 6.0L Yes the bottoms get plenty warm. Warm enough where if I'm going any length other than across town i got to turn them off. Sucks that your having issues.

go with the 1LTZ so you can get the mechanical setup you want, all the HC has that you can't get on the LTZ is cosmetic. matching bumpers (which everyone says chip anyway), the brown seats, different grill. You can still get all the same creature comforts. Pretty sure the HC has the same suspension setup as every other non-Z71 chevy, so it shouldn't be harsh at all.

The reason I am considering the HC, instead of the Denali, is the leather. I know, vanity. Pathetic. I will have the painted bumper treated with 3M film. I learned that lesson on my last Denali. GM screwed up when they dumped the plastic cover over the bumpers and went to a painted steel bumper.

15 1/2. 2500 6.0L Yes the bottoms get plenty warm. Warm enough where if I'm going any length other than across town i got to turn them off. Sucks that your having issues.

Oh man I hope they get mine working like yours. Had mine on high on trip for 2 hours, barely got warm. Wonder if the elements are different in a 2015 1/2

My Denali rocks. It has everything and my heated seats work fine. The headlights do suck but a new bulb fix is in the works with GM. I can't tell you about ride comfortbecause mine is a 3500. The best truck I have owned.

Archived