SDM reset, Collision data still present. Concerns of accidental deploy

bobejones

Question

2009 sierra was in a mild front collision. bags and belts were replaced and module sent in for reset.

With everything plugged in, SRS lamp was still lit and Snap-On scanner detected 4 codes, one being the dreaded 51 code. As I understand it, the scanner cannot clear any soft codes of the 51 is present?

I am also told a new SDM would need to be programmed for the VIN? Someone else said it is not really the VIN, just that year, make, and model? This truck has WT trims with single stage bags so not sure if the modules are set for this or if 1 stage and 2 stage are the same at the module level?

My biggest concern is while messing with this, we could have an accidental deployment of the new bags? However, some reading said that the bags might also have their own G sensors so the frontal G sensor and the bag sensors would have to exceed their threshold PLUS the module will need to be outputting deployment voltage to the bags?

I am further told that once an SDM is in service and programmed, it cannot be reprogrammed for anything else? IE, I may have no choice but to order a new module and have a guy reprogram for the vehicle?

5 answers to this question

It probably depends on what DTC body code list you are looking at. I have one that indeed lists the B0051 as "deployment commanded"

As I understand it, GM purposely does not provide the ability to reset the SDM, how ever, many other OEMs do. GM wants to sell parts! From what I understand, there are about 4 "licensed" facilities in the states authorized to reset these, effectively just rinsing out the bit tables that record all the crash data just before and during the collision. The module has to be removed and sent in for this work. There is further software provided to download and review the crash data for purposes of lititation or other analysis. Something I find interesting, especially since there are some vehicles having issues with accidental deployment and OEMs refusing to repair. I would think someone smart coul use this function to build a case against an OEM.

I realize some probably do not advocate this work but I can see no real concerns with it as the modules are not damaged in a collision and go through a thorough systems self test or will render themselves inactive and throw a light.

As I understand it, GM purposely does not provide the ability to reset the SDM, how ever, many other OEMs do. GM wants to sell parts! ......

Shocker .... :nonod:

Have nothing to add in regards to how to get around this, but, do have an opinion on why it is like this.

GM is currently paying through the nose for people that panic if their engine shuts off at highway speeds, because the driver likes to carry every key they have ever owned, plus a couple of fobs, and some charms on the key ring. They still have brakes and steering, it just takes a bit more effort. I would figure the adrenalin from the panic would offset that and provide more than enough extra strength to turn and stop the car..

The way the public becomes litigious at the drop of a hat is creating issues like this air bag issue. If GM or any other manufacturer(and I seriously doubt GM is the only one doing this) allows air bags to be treated like seat belts, they would be gone financially in a year. Seat belts are also a one use item, how many get replaced after an accident though?

With the rules being so confusing(assuming the OP is 100% accurate in his account) there is no way I would attempt fixing it myself. Removing, yes, fixing, no. Just not worth the possible results of ignoring or breaking the wrong rule. At least if they are removed they can't go off unless I put them inside the couch for some youtube hits.

Archived