3rd gear just went out HELP PLEASE

rockmissjess

Question

im a girl... i dont know jack about mechanics... my husband doesnt know jack either which is why im here... need ALL THE HELP i can get PLEASE

Ok so i bought a salvage 2006 z71 tahoe... the guy didnt tell us about anything... we just dumped 5k into the engine... and finally got it back from the shop... noticed it shifting weird at 3rd gear around 45mph is when it shifted.. but drove fine... (had it out of the shop 4 days) today on our way into town on the highway 3rd just went out.. everytime you try the rpms just go high... so we drove 40 back home.... sounded like it was in neutral or something the whole way... any idea whats wrong??? please god cut us a break and hope its not a new tranny ... frown.gif

NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT
ITS A AUTOMATIC
NO 4x4

please tell me it could be the clutch plate or the solinoids

My truck went in today to my GM dealer up the road. I know I probably could have found it cheaper going elsewhere, but I've had good luck and a good relationship with them. They quoted me $3100 for a rebuild tranny as mine was indeed on its way out. I don't understand why since I never tow with the damn thing and I've only got 82,000 miles on it. Quite frustrating to be honest. They said it should be done tomorrow as they had everything including the tranny in stock. After this I don't know that I'm going to buy another GM vehicle...

You have a 3 yr warranty on that new tranny , you are among the zillion people that have had their 3-4 clutch poop the bed including ME .... THATS RIGHT MEEEE , lol I bought my 93 c10 with 500,000 km on it , the 3-4 clutch crapped out after I put my 85 6.2 diesel in it , I bought a SRTA before I left GM lol for the discount lol

You are not alone is my point bud , but being gun shy is why I own toyotas now and to many new trucks on my hoist as a GM tech back in 08 when I darted to my gov job lol

aamco did a amazing job not a problem was completely smooth.. they want me to go back in 10 days just so they can make sure everything is ok.. and i get a tranny flush every year now from them for $60 badass.. i must say

Flushes are a wallet/purse flush only Jess , pan drop and filter and refill is all that is required

Got my truck back this afternoon. First thing I did was take it out for a spin around town. Seems good. Went to get onto the highway and it did the same exact thing it did when I dropped it off. I drove directly back and the tech went for a ride with me. He knew what I was talking about as soon as it did it. He blamed it on not clearing the adapts, so he did that and told me to give it a week. Even after the clear it is still doing it. I don't have much faith that the problem is the transmission if a brand new one (reman) is doing the same thing...

uh oh.... i just got my tahoe back today im taking it out for a spin in the next hour ill let you know if i feel it like i did before...

Glad yours is all fixed up! Mine is still doing the same thing. I'll be going back next week if it continues. I have also reached out to GM Customer Service/support and they are contacting the dealership. We'll see what comes of that.

Did they show you the clutch plate did they show you your transmission apart before they put it together? i dont let anyone do anything unless i see it.. before something is done..

Let me know how this goes. My 06 Sierra is starting to display some shifting issues with 3rd gear... :( Sad part is I only have just under 82,000 miles on it.

ok so yeah my 3-4 plate is COMPLETELY SHOT.... the guy at aamco said you need to get yours checked out asap (told him your having the same issue)

apparently our transmissions are INFAMOUS for having this 3-4 clutch plate issue... sadly ... they said it will do more damage if you ignore it...

Was it a full rebuild ? I hope so , not a bad price , what warranty did ya get ? 1 yr 12k miles ?

Nice pic Jess , cutie !!!

3 years 50k warranty on entire tranny

I find the engine work highly suspect! Was the engine pulled? I have seen pinched wires, damaged oil lines, etc. We have one on the lift right now that is a no shifty. Actually it will run in any gear manually but will not shift on its own.

PInched oil line to the cooler will do your bill up nicely...

I might be looking at the engine guy a bit here.

My truck went in today to my GM dealer up the road. I know I probably could have found it cheaper going elsewhere, but I've had good luck and a good relationship with them. They quoted me $3100 for a rebuild tranny as mine was indeed on its way out. I don't understand why since I never tow with the damn thing and I've only got 82,000 miles on it. Quite frustrating to be honest. They said it should be done tomorrow as they had everything including the tranny in stock. After this I don't know that I'm going to buy another GM vehicle...

well at least you are getting it fixed before it goes out on you down the highway like it did me lol had to drive home 30-40mph all the way home in a 70mph zone... about 30 miles.. that sucked.

Let me know how this goes. My 06 Sierra is starting to display some shifting issues with 3rd gear... :( Sad part is I only have just under 82,000 miles on it.

I'll let you know as soon as i find out something from the shop... it will be a few days tho im sure..

mine has 108k on it...

I find the engine work highly suspect! Was the engine pulled? I have seen pinched wires, damaged oil lines, etc. We have one on the lift right now that is a no shifty. Actually it will run in any gear manually but will not shift on its own.

PInched oil line to the cooler will do your bill up nicely...

I might be looking at the engine guy a bit here.

Its not the work that was done it was having the issue before we had the work done on the front end.. even the guys at aamco said we can see your just had alot of work put into it... we are like yeah 5 grand.. in + tranny work now hahah

Archived