Transfer case or hub hum in front end

TheGlue

I just bought a 2004 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1l and 4.10s. Part of the purchase was a transfer case replacement. I verified they had put in the correct case (NV246-NP8). The problem I have noticed is that I'm hearing a hum that you would usually associate with the 4WD being on but it's not. The symtoms are most noticeable after getting up to speed on the fwy and then slowing down to an exit where it sounds like i've got nice offroady tires or that the 4WD drive is engaged and slowing down giving me that typical growl down especially in the last 30mph and down. Someone said I might have a hub that is stuck locked on and told me to get up under the truck and see if the 4WD shaft is turning while moving forward in 2WD. It does. I can switch it in and out of 4WD drive and it is the usual noticeable sound and turnability. Iwas also concerned since the "fine" folk who installed the drive were...you know...yeah. So I'm also wondering if during the installation that they may have removed the transfer case motor and reinstalled incorrectly and the tcase may still be partially engaged. Any thoughts? Wish i could take one of ya for a drive...lol. since i'm not sure if its a stuck hub i instructed my wife to predominantly drive in 4WD hi as often as possible and keep it 50mph or under (I told her she can turn it off for turns) that way everything is turning together in case its not in 2wd.

Archived