Max Trailer Pkg or Not

gmyeah

Question

I have a 2008 z71 3.73 heavy duty trailering package (is it really heavy duty?). Max trailer weight is 7900# per the 2008 book for 3.73 gears / 5.3L V8, etc.

So, I've been looking at the 2015's since mine is starting to nickle/dime me to death with throwing codes. They only offer a 5.3L z71 with 3.08 or 3.42 gears. Interestingly enough, the 3.42 has a maximum trailering weight of 9200#...more than my current 2008. So I guess GM upped the GCWR somehow....good for me. Did they up the payload too? If I go with the 3.73 gears it throws me to a max trailering package which boosts me up to 11,000# max trailer weight for a 5.3L V8. My only gripe with my current vehicle is I could use a little more towing capacity, but definitely some more payload. I looked on the GM site and they mention the max trailering pkg comes with bigger rear axle, higher rgawr, heavier duty leaf springs.....so i assume more payload? I couldnt find any payload #'s with this setup. how much more payload compared to the non-max trailering package.

If i were to go this route with the max trailering package, would i get about the same gas mileage as my current 3.73 2008 z71 5.3L. Seems like it would be close. I just don't want to say later....I might as well have gotten a 3/4 ton. I do a fair bit of firewood/renovation/etc.....so I sometimes only use the bed and it really gets loaded......but even squats pretty easily even with a light load. Thoughts?

10 answers to this question

I carry about a thousand pounds in my truck on a daily basis (tools, ladder, tool box, equipment). I've had over a thousand pounds of tile, thin set, grout, etc, etc... My ½ ton handles it just fine, it did squat down with all the tile in the back, but carried it with no sweat.

You should be able to get the dealer to run your VIN to find out exactly what your truck came with. If you have the 5.3, then you do not have the max trailering package (the package with the 6.2, 3.73 gears, 4 wheel disc, heavy duty rear end (12 bolt), etc).

The big issue with trailering capacities is that the big three did not want to be the first to follow the SAE J2807 standard. Toyota started following it in 2013 I think. Ford announced they would follow the standard in 2015, and GM announced after that they would also follow the standard in 2015 models. I would imagine Dodge will also follow along. The SAE standard defines a standard way to define capacities. All vehicles have to follow the same tests. Don't try to compare ratings between the old way of defining them, to the SAE J2807 standard, apples and oranges again.

I sure wouldn't want to make a habit of pulling a 11,000lb trailer with any ½ ton truck. Mine has all that with the 6.2, and brake actuator, I guess once and a while, but on any regular basis I would want a 2500. Just because they say you can, doesn't mean its safe. My mileage went up 3 pts from my 09 5.3 to the 14 6.2 BTW.

I sure wouldn't want to make a habit of pulling a 11,000lb trailer with any ½ ton truck. Mine has all that with the 6.2, and brake actuator, I guess once and a while, but on any regular basis I would want a 2500. Just because they say you can, doesn't mean its safe. My mileage went up 3 pts from my 09 5.3 to the 14 6.2 BTW.

You should be able to get the dealer to run your VIN to find out exactly what your truck came with. If you have the 5.3, then you do not have the max trailering package (the package with the 6.2, 3.73 gears, 4 wheel disc, heavy duty rear end (12 bolt), etc).

The big issue with trailering capacities is that the big three did not want to be the first to follow the SAE J2807 standard. Toyota started following it in 2013 I think. Ford announced they would follow the standard in 2015, and GM announced after that they would also follow the standard in 2015 models. I would imagine Dodge will also follow along. The SAE standard defines a standard way to define capacities. All vehicles have to follow the same tests. Don't try to compare ratings between the old way of defining them, to the SAE J2807 standard, apples and oranges again.

Couple of things to clear up here......I have a 5.3 L z71 with 3.73 gears. I called it a heavy duty trailering package sarcastically since that's what they use to call it in 2008 (not max trailering package.....just heavy duty). It came with the small leaf springs and a 7000 lb gvwr - 5300 lb truck.....my 1700 lb payload......minus gear and people, maybe I'm at 1200-1300 lbs. I've put just under 1200# evenly distriuted in the bed when the truck was basically new.....and it looked as if I'd break my truck. It was ugly. I split the load and made 2 trips. My point on all this is that I'm considering going with the max trailering package because it states it comes with larger springs, bigger axle thus higher grawr. Anyway, I'm not planning on towing 11000 pounds with a 1/2 max package anymore then someone should tow the max rating with a 3/4 ton. My point is, I'd rather not feel the load I'm pulling now...in addtion to having some more payload. The max trailering seems like a good compromize without spending huge bucks on the 3/4 ton and having it be a pig at the gas tank. they offer this max trailering package on the 1/2 tons....with a 5.3L (3.73) or a 6.2L (3.42). Just trying to get some concrete information on this max package....seems to be hard to find......and figure out if it's just a scam to increase the numbers on the truck. Any info (besides saying, 'just get a 3/4 ton') are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

I haul a 13 000 pound 5th wheel camper with my 1500 5.3 and I set the cruise at 110km/h it takes it like a champ other then she's a bit weighed down but I have the 5th wheel hitch slid all the way forward so it weighs the whole truck down it actually pulls it very good I'm going to put 1ton leaf springs in my truck plus air bags so people with quite flashing me at night time while towing or hauling stuff.

I understood your original post. Are you also saying that with 1200# in the box, the rear end squatted down so far that the front end started pointing up? The extra hardware in the Max Trailering package see to be a fairly good deal, especially since you no longer are forced into the 6.2. Not sure I would trust the new 8 speed to not crap out a week after warranty ends though.

The recent change to actually following the SAE standard should let you feel a bit more comfortable with the ratings, when comparing across manufacturers. That standard also forces manufacturer to provide a specific environment that will meet the requirements of the standard. Prior to this, manufacturers made up their own way to allow them to claim the higher than actual numbers. I think this one change will make a huge difference in what knowledge GM will be passing down to the consumer.

The 2007-2013 Max trailering package all came with the 6.2. I think that once they got the direct injection on the engines, they stated allowing the 5.3 for the Max Trailering package. As for the "heavy duty trailering package" I have that as well. It simply means not a bumper mount I think. Don't know how they can call it heavy duty when they actually have a more heavy duty package as well. To me this means they have a base trailer hitch package, and a heavy duty (max trailering package). Sort of like when movie theaters stopped selling small drinks, they start at medium now.

I have a friend that lives about an hour away. He is a general contractor, and carries some large loads sometimes. For whatever reason, he has been driving Dodge half tons for the past 10 years. All were the gas engine, all were half ton, and all were not pleasant to drive with a load. He recently picked up a used Cummins Dodge truck(2500 series) and says the difference is night and day on how the truck drives with any load on it. He is one of those drivers that rarely goes past the speed limit, hell he rarely gets to the speed limit. Last time I talked to him he was saying that had he known how much difference a diesel makes he would have got one years ago. He also said his fuel mileage has doubled with the diesel. He has the 24 valve engine. I know this has nothing to do with your question directly, I was just pointing out that with the diesel, you do not tend to "feel" the load on forward driving, load is still there on braking though. You have to keep in mind that a diesel does not feel fast on acceleration, but it does feel almost the same with no load or a large load. GM is supposed to be coming up with a small diesel for the 1500, Dodge already has one I think.

I'm hearing the new Dodge with that little diesel is going to be one kick-ass setup. GM had better get their head in the game if it even wants to come close! My next truck will probably be an early Cummins with a NV5400 if I can find it, or build it. That way I can run on used motor oil if need be, and get killer mileage, plus a little performance to boot.

I've had a 2,200 lb. pallet of coal in the back of mine a few times. It actually rides nice and soft. Guess those bump stops are pretty strong, lol. This was very pre-airbag too.

I've towed 12k with my half ton 5.3 about 12 miles or so - definitely not something I'd want to do every day, nor for long distances ... and I would have never even attempted it without a weight distribution setup. Was a '69 Case 580 with backhoe and bucket, plus my 2k lb. flatbed car hauler. Towed at 45 mph max. on the backroads no problem ... but you could FEEL that load back there, no question about it. I would never take that load on a 65mph + highway run ... ever.

If I get 100k out of this driveline without any problems, I'll be shocked and amazed ...

I'll bet you overloaded the trailer too. At 2K lbs, I doubt it was made heavy enough to haul 10K lbs.

I've towed 12k with my half ton 5.3 about 12 miles or so - definitely not something I'd want to do every day, nor for long distances ... and I would have never even attempted it without a weight distribution setup. Was a '69 Case 580 with backhoe and bucket, plus my 2k lb. flatbed car hauler. Towed at 45 mph max. on the backroads no problem ... but you could FEEL that load back there, no question about it. I would never take that load on a 65mph + highway run ... ever.

If I get 100k out of this driveline without any problems, I'll be shocked and amazed ...

GVWR is 9990 ... which means a max weight of 7990. It's a well built trailer though - brakes on both 6k lb. 6-lug axles, load range E tires - it didn't even flinch with that load on there.

I think the main reason I didn't feel safe taking it up to highway speeds was the fact that the backhoe made the load very tail heavy. That makes for a scary ride. Without that hitch I have, I would've wrecked being that tail heavy. I had 5 psi in my air bags ... didn't need a pound more!

Archived