Fuel MPG in the 6.0 engine?

• 3 weeks later...

I average 12.6 - 13.0 mpg empty (depending on the wind) going to the lake. It's a 60 mile trip with a combination of 2 (55 mph) and 4 (65 mph) lane roads and three towns where the speed limit is 35 ish and there are a couple of stop lights.

Pulling the boat, I got 10.0 mpg. The boat weighs about 4700 lb.

My 2016 DMAX got 15.0 - 15.6 mpg empty and 12.6 mpg pulling the boat. I didn't notice any difference between the trucks in how the boat pulled. Being only 4700 lb I wouldn't expect to. When I was using my 2014 1500 with the 5.3 there was a definite difference. The 1500 didn't brake as confidently and getting up to speed meant thrashing the crap out of the 5.3.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Since I levelled the front and did 295/60R20s it's like 11 mpg average.  It's a gas pig HD... who cares lol.  Since my 17 has 3.73s next on my list is 4.56s and a Detroit Locker in the back... that should get stabilitrack throwing fits.

Edited by SierraHD17

9 hours ago, SierraHD17 said:

Since I levelled the front and did 295/60R20s it's like 11 mpg average.  It's a gas pig HD... who cares lol.  Since my 17 has 3.73s next on my list is 4.56s and a Detroit Locker in the back... that should get stabilitrack throwing fits.

You would be my hero if you installed 4.56's, these trucks should come with them as the 6.0 does not have the power to hold 5-6th gear, might as well gear it down and make the two overdrive gears useable.

• Like 2

You would be my hero if you installed 4.56's, these trucks should come with them as the 6.0 does not have the power to hold 5-6th gear, might as well gear it down and make the two overdrive gears useable.
I'd be interested in seeing the results...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SierraHD17 said:

I just pull the antilock brake fuse. Dash is lit up like a Chrsitmas tree but no more computer driving for me :)

Yeah I hate the lights on when I am driving so I am not pulling fuses.  Most of the time it will be fine but the issue will be ice and sliding as when one rear tire locks both do because of the locker.  Both my 04 and 05 have Detroit's in them and the abs works with no alarms but you can tell it's not happy about it lol.  Probably in the new year I will look at getting the work done on it.  The worst part is I have to buy an open carrier first as the Detroit for the 14 bolt FF only comes as a lunch box type.  Provided the older 10.5 parts are the same swapping to an open should be free beyond new bearings. 

Yeah I hate the lights on when I am driving so I am not pulling fuses.  Most of the time it will be fine but the issue will be ice and sliding as when one rear tire locks both do because of the locker.  Both my 04 and 05 have Detroit's in them and the abs works with no alarms but you can tell it's not happy about it lol.  Probably in the new year I will look at getting the work done on it.  The worst part is I have to buy an open carrier first as the Detroit for the 14 bolt FF only comes as a lunch box type.  Provided the older 10.5 parts are the same swapping to an open should be free beyond new bearings. 
Let us know how it goes. I asked about this and searched on it with not much success. I considered doing this swap way back when I first got this truck. The next truck will probably be swapped as soon as we buy it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

If you look at outfits like Randys ring and pinion they don't show parts available for the 2015 and newer HD trucks.  Well I am pretty sure nothing changed whatsoever since 2011... and with the rear diff in truth probably hasn't changed significantly since 1973 so I should be alright.  I'm never going smaller than the current 34" tire and might go to a 35" when these wear out so I may as well gear accordingly lol.   I don't "fear the gear" Haha.  And quite frankly this will get me out of the drone zone my exhaust currently has at like 1750 at 70 mph so it's all win!

Edited by SierraHD17

• 1 month later...

I'm light on the pedal most of the time. Getting anywhere between 10-12 MPG empty. 

My Sierra 1500 was only 15-16 in winter. I expect maybe 15 or so come summer fuel mix/temps (yeah I know...optimistic). But Love the 6.0L HD! Sure, better MPG would be nice, but I like this sooo much better than the 1500, and love not having AFM!

• 3 weeks later...

3753A174-61DD-4C14-93D0-68D8CD0786F3_zps

That's 3100 miles roughly in 15 days, combination of highways and city from the prairies, through the rockies to the coast and back in a combination of weather from 40 fahrenheit and wet snow to -34 fahrenheit and just straight ice.  Computer tells me its 19.5 l/100km which is about 12 mpg. Stock Duratrac 18's, lifted about 3" front and 2" in the rear, otherwise stock.  Wallet felt like the computer was pretty close lol.  Fuel prices ranged from about $1cdn per liter to $1.48cdn per liter at one spot.

• 8 months later...
On January 1, 2018 at 7:27 PM, Bhurt said:

3753A174-61DD-4C14-93D0-68D8CD0786F3_zps

That's 3100 miles roughly in 15 days, combination of highways and city from the prairies, through the rockies to the coast and back in a combination of weather from 40 fahrenheit and wet snow to -34 fahrenheit and just straight ice.  Computer tells me its 19.5 l/100km which is about 12 mpg. Stock Duratrac 18's, lifted about 3" front and 2" in the rear, otherwise stock.  Wallet felt like the computer was pretty close lol.  Fuel prices ranged from about $1cdn per liter to $1.48cdn per liter at one spot.

huh?  how many deutch marks per centiliter again?  how many yen per imperial gallon?  i am confused!  'murica!!!!!!!