Fuel MPG in the 6.0 engine?

So let's say you drive 15k per year. Let's call it 12 mpg gas, 15 mpg diesel, assume prices stay the same:

Gas - 15,000 miles, 12 mpg, 1250 gallons at 2.30 per gallon is 2875.

15,000 miles, 15 mpg, 1000 gallons at 2.50 per gallon is 2500.

At current prices you would expect to save roughly $375 per year on fuel using a diesel. You pay more for oil changes and other regular maintenance costs, not to mention MUCH higher costs if you need a major repair to the Duramax or Allison.

The bottom line is, you should buy a diesel because you need it for heavy towing usage and/or because you want a damned diesel and you are going to buy what you want. If you buy a diesel thinking it is going to save you money, you are probably going to be disappointed unless you tow heavy and often.

The only way diesel can be justified from an mpg standpoint is when it is something that is 2L or less in a car.

Edited by Cowpie

Do those feully numbers breakdown MPG loaded vs. unloaded and towing vs. not? I'd expect unloaded that the diesel would have a nice margin over the 6.0 that it'd give up while hauling and, in some cases, it might be worse than the 6.0 because the diesel can carry so much more weight. But from a cost analysis, fuel economy shouldn't play into the 6.0 vs. diesel decision with anywhere near the same importance as towing capability.

So let's say you drive 15k per year. Let's call it 12 mpg gas, 15 mpg diesel, assume prices stay the same:

Gas - 15,000 miles, 12 mpg, 1250 gallons at 2.30 per gallon is 2875.

15,000 miles, 15 mpg, 1000 gallons at 2.50 per gallon is 2500.

At current prices you would expect to save roughly $375 per year on fuel using a diesel. You pay more for oil changes and other regular maintenance costs, not to mention MUCH higher costs if you need a major repair to the Duramax or Allison.

The bottom line is, you should buy a diesel because you need it for heavy towing usage and/or because you want a damned diesel and you are going to buy what you want. If you buy a diesel thinking it is going to save you money, you are probably going to be disappointed unless you tow heavy and often.

Don'f forget the added expense of the motor itself at the time of vehicle purchase. I agree 100% with you....buy because you want one or you tow heavy and often.

I love diesel but it has got to the point that it is not worth it for me .

pro's for it

1 plenty of torque and power

2 can go longer on a tank of fuel.

con's

1 cost about $10K up charge when ordering

2 fuel is more $ vs the old days when diesel was cheaper than gas

3 maintenance cost are higher

4 added weight lower carrying capacity

5 now you have to add def and another added problem to break and put truck out of commission .

• Like 1

I love diesel but it has got to the point that it is not worth it for me .

Same with me. I'd love a 2016 Duramax but the maintenance and complications just aren't worth it to me especially in cold weather. I know if I see a Duramax out-towing and passing me up the Rockies I'll wish I had it but when I get to the top reliably and remember the L96 only needs cheap 87 octane and basic oil changes once in awhile I'm happy lol

I don't tow enough weight or often enough to justify a diesel. But I wouldn't mind better mileage from my 6.0. With that said I wouldn't want better mileage at the expense of reliability. I doubt a more powerful engine would get better mileage under load either. As technology becomes more reliable and proven I can't see an improvement from the internal combustion engine. If you want better mileage drive something lighter duty, if you can't do that, learn to live with it. I have.

Same with me. I'd love a 2016 Duramax but the maintenance and complications just aren't worth it to me especially in cold weather. I know if I see a Duramax out-towing and passing me up the Rockies I'll wish I had it but when I get to the top reliably and remember the L96 only needs cheap 87 octane and basic oil changes once in awhile I'm happy lol

Haha amen

Diesel Smiesel, I don't tow heavy and modern diesels have been nutered by the EPA, as usual, they make good power, but the reliability is gone compared to the early diesels. I get 13 to 14 mpg, not good but ok, can fuel up anywhere and buy parts anywhere, and work on it anywhere.

• Like 1

Agreed! Plus, you'll have over $8,000 more money in your pocket, haha.

• Like 1

Diesel Smiesel, I don't tow heavy and modern diesels have been nutered by the EPA, as usual, they make good power, but the reliability is gone compared to the early diesels. I get 13 to 14 mpg, not good but ok, can fuel up anywhere and buy parts anywhere, and work on it anywhere.

2 more things I forgot to add getting anyone to work on a diesel besides a dealer is hard to find and getting fuel is almost as bad not every station carries it or def for that matter you have to go to the auto parts store

Just wanted to add right now i am getting like 4-5 mpg plowing in 4 wd and as far as millage lucky if i'm making 10 but most if not all my driving is local so i expected that

Edited by cat320