Fuel MPG in the 6.0 engine?

anyway, you know what costs more than gas? replacing your truck. with the reliability of the 6.0, 6l90, and the gm hd trucks overall, if you replace it chances are you did so because you wanted to, not because you needed to. that is worth a few mpg in my book.

• Like 4

Driving down the road with the cruise set @ 62 playing with a camera....priceless.

Don't know what you're looking at, but the cruise isn't set. Can't even tell that he's moving, just that it's at 13-1400rpm.

How's the view from that pedestal?

Don't know what you're looking at, but the cruise isn't set. Can't even tell that he's moving, just that it's at 13-1400rpm.

How's the view from that pedestal?

I'm pretty sure he is moving. My mpg gauge only shows mpg when moving, it shows a -.- or something when stopped. He may be going like 5 or 10 mph though.

I'm pretty sure he is moving. My mpg gauge only shows mpg when moving, it shows a -.- or something when stopped. He may be going like 5 or 10 mph though.

I couldn't say one way or the other on that, I never look at that screen. I just use the trip screen or whatever it is. I'm not too terribly interested if he is or not anyways

• 4 weeks later...

So an interesting fact on gas mileage. My 2006 8.1 litre used to use 26 litres per 100 km when pulling my cargo trailer. My 2016 6.0 used 29.9 litres per 100 km when pulling a cargo trailer this week.

Drug a trailer for the first time with this truck. We did a 300 mile round trip through low mountains, speeds 60-70, trailer is a 14' enclosed cargo and weighed just over 3200 pounds today. DIC showed 10.5 mpg, my calculation at fillup showed it to be 10.7 mpg.

Edited by Dale L

So an interesting fact on gas mileage. My 2006 8.1 litre used to use 26 litres per 100 km when pulling my cargo trailer. My 2016 6.0 used 29.9 litres per 100 km when pulling a cargo trailer this week.

Sounds like GM needs to come out with a direct injected big block. 7.4 or 8.1

No, I don't like direct injection. Had it on my 2014 1/2 ton.

Nothing to clean the oil mist off the intake valves when the fuel is direct injected. And gm wants $200 every 40,000 km to fog the intake to do it. We just need the old tried and true big block again!

I look at it this way - the money I would spend on maintenance with a diesel or high-tech gas engine I just wind up spending in gas instead with the 6.0. But at least I save myself the hassle of dealer appointments and such.

There's a lot that can be said about reliability. :)

• Like 4

I doubt any new direct injected or turboed engine will be any better on gas when in a 2500 or 3500 environment. If it was they would already have introduced it. Take the almighty 6.2- very powerful and fuel efficient in a 1500 application- still may need excessive maintenance for a reliable emgine. In a 2500 or 3500 application where maintenance may be neglected somewhat failures would be common. If I'm wrong then GM is in cahoots with the oil companies or the 6.2 and direct injection isn't worth the failures they know that they would deal with.

• Like 2

I think GM is more in cahoots with the fleet buyers who pick up most of the 2500/3500 production. Fleet buyers want reliability and low maintenance requirements. They are not into the latest and greatest goofy stuff that seems to cause the private sector to swoon. Ag and construction buyers are also in the fleet mindset. While I might have jumped the gun a little in doing so, but I bought my 2015 2500 6.0 because I was concerned that GM would screw things up for 2016, since they had already changed things in the 1500 lineup.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

You can keep your direct injection, carboned up valves requiring the heads to be removed for cleaning does not sound fun.

Give me a 7.0 version of the 6.0, beef the 6L90E up and tune it so it doesn't shift flair, add 4.68 gears so it has even more power getting out of the hole and 6th gear becames half way useable.

• Like 2