Fuel Pump life

Hello, I have a 2005 Silverado 1500 right at 166000 miles. I'm still running the original fuel pump. I expected it to go out somewhere between 100000 and 130000 miles but its still holding strong. Should I have already replaced it or going this long common? I'm not sure if I need to have a new pump on standby in case the day comes. What are some of the longest lasting (mileage) pumps that you know of? Thanks.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just listen for the telltale whine. Mine whined about 8 months before it died. Croaked at 125k miles. Fortunately, it happened less than a half mile from my house. Of course, I'd just filled up the tank, so that was a PITA.

You can probably help it by keeping your tank at least half full at all times, especially in the hotter weather.

Mine didn't completely fail but showed signs of issues by the truck not starting on the first turn of the key. It had 130k on it at the time, now 162k. It always took a second start to get it running. I changed out the fuel pump and now it starts on first turn. Also I found out that there were different pumps for my 02 silverado. So I had a friend that works at a chevy dealer look up what I needed part number wise by my VIN and I used that number to get my pump. There are various brands, I went with an AC/Delco. Rock Auto is a great source. If you need one faster Amazon had the same pump for $5 more. Being a Prime member I get 2 day free shipping. I had to get it from Amazon since Rock Auto was going to take a week to get it in.

Mine went out at 150,000. Some people are still on the original pump after 300,000 miles. If you want to be ahead of the game, order a new pump now and replace it the next time your tank is almost empty. Don't forget the fuel filter too!

If it ain't broke (yet) don't fix it!

Mine failed somewhere around 230,000 miles... It's a crap shoot really.

If I were you, I'd go ahead an buy a new one and set it on the shelf as well a fuel filter.

Keeping the tank half full or better is great advice.

FYI... I found it MUCH easier to raise the bed rather than drop the tank.

I loosened the bed bolts on the passenger side, removed the bed bolts on the drivers side, disconnected the fuel filler neck and picked the bed up. Propped it up with a 2x4. Easy peasey!

Assume that when it goes, it will be worst possible scenario, potentially costing you a couple thousand $.

With 148K on the clock, I planned to do mine this Spring.

Didn't make it.

400 mi.s from home...10:30 on Christmas morning!

Died on road. No warning.

You're a "worrier" like I am...lol.

If you buy the pump and filter change it now for your peace of mind and keep the old (still working) one as a spare to get you over the holidays. That's when it is most likely to happen. When you least need it.

so long

j-ten-ner

Lift out box liner, cut an 8" hole in box floor above pump. These cheap aftermarket parts I buy don't seem to last as long as the originals, but I like the Auto Zone lifetime warranty (on most parts).

It may be a good idea to keep the fuel filter fittings well lubricated so they don't sieze up.

Assume that when it goes, it will be worst possible scenario, potentially costing you a couple thousand $.

With 148K on the clock, I planned to do mine this Spring.

Didn't make it.

400 mi.s from home...10:30 on Christmas morning!

Died on road. No warning.

a couple thousand???? try about $500 at a garage.

a couple thousand???? try about $500 at a garage.

Operative words in my post were "...worst possible scenario,..."

i.e: Middle of the George Washington Bridge on a Saturday afternoon (in winter).

Tow in NY city.

Dealer closed.

Cabs or rental car, Hotel, Food.

Monday, dealer has to order pump (of course).

Another couple of days of Cabs or rental car, Hotel, Food.

Such a scenario would put you >$2K.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived