Fuel Pump life

When it does go out do yourself a favor and buy OEM, either ac delco or Delphi. I'm on my third one but the second one was a random no name brand that i regret using and also gave me issues with the connections becoming loose and shutting the truck off.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was told these trucks don't have fuel filters. Where is the fuel filter located?

99-06 has them tucked in the drivers side frame rail. Use caution my fuel filter threads on my 99 was partially seized and ended up breaking a fuel line back by the tank from the line moving around slightly (Must have been ready to go). I ended up replacing all the lines. After that I went to change the filter on my 03 and that one was giving me trouble too so I am getting ready to do the same to it.

2 trucks with over 300k on the original fuel pumps. I've been lucky tho seeing as from what I've seen 100k to 150k seems to be the norm

99-06 has them tucked in the drivers side frame rail. Use caution my fuel filter threads on my 99 was partially seized and ended up breaking a fuel line back by the tank from the line moving around slightly (Must have been ready to go). I ended up replacing all the lines. After that I went to change the filter on my 03 and that one was giving me trouble too so I am getting ready to do the same to it.

While my 2000 had a fuel filter in this location my 2004 does not have or period. Not sure when this was started or maybe I'm just blind

Are you sure about that on the half ton trucks? The 3/4 and 1 tons that I worked on had the fuel filter right where you're talking about. My truck has no fuel filter within eye sight.

Strange both mine, 99 2500 and 03 1500 do. I googled it and it said all 99 - 06 has them there. I will go investigate further.

I'm finding conflicting info but it looks like they may have started putting them in the tank in 04. And supposedly the only ones after that that are serviceable are flex-fuel trucks. Not sure when or if the flex-fuel trucks stopped using them but it looks like they made it to at least 06 which may explain the conflicting info I was finding.

My 04 had the filter on the fuel pump. I believe all the drive by wire trucks 2004- present went to the lifetime pump filter. They were also a return less fuel system too.

Strange both mine, 99 2500 and 03 1500 do. I googled it and it said all 99 - 06 has them there. I will go investigate further.

I'm finding conflicting info but it looks like they may have started putting them in the tank in 04. And supposedly the only ones after that that are serviceable are flex-fuel trucks. Not sure when or if the flex-fuel trucks stopped using them but it looks like they made it to at least 06 which may explain the conflicting info I was finding.

If the flex fuel trucks had them, would it be by the tank? I will crawl under mine when it dries up.

My 04 had the filter on the fuel pump. I believe all the drive by wire trucks 2004- present went to the lifetime pump filter. They were also a return less fuel system too.

My 03 is drive by wire, But yes it looks like most 04+ went with in tank filters.

If the flex fuel trucks had them, would it be by the tank? I will crawl under mine when it dries up.

From what I am understanding it should be in the same spot but it's all shrouded in mystery lol. yours is a 07 + up so it may have it in the tank even on the flex-fuel model... I will see if I can find anything about it.

I'm not finding any info on the flex-fuel 07+ trucks, I'm guessing even the flex-fuel models went with the in tank filter at that time.

So to clarify for anyone wondering,

All 99-03 have the fuel filter on the frame rail.

04 + have them in the tank.

04 -06 flex fuel models have them on the drivers side frame rail.

07 + have them in the tank.

After a lot of searching believe this is correct but I could be wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

I did go ahead and buy the pump and I have it on standby, I'd rather spend the money now and be ready than to be caught unprepared. My 05 does not have the filter on the rail, it's a part of the pump assembly itself.

Whelp... My fuel pump shit the bed this morning, Luckily, it was in my driveway!

I replaced the OEM pump at 230,000 miles... With an Airtex from Autozone.

I was in a bad spot, stuck on the side of the road, short on money, short on time...blah, blah, blah...

So I did the best I could at the time.

The fuel level sensor failed about 4 months ago at about 305,000 miles, so I went the cheap route again and bought a replacement fuel level sensor for $20 on RockAuto and swapped it out.

A month after replacing the fuel level sensor, the pump started it's death whine. It made it another 5000 miles.

Dag-nab-it!

Delphi pump and Delco filter en route...

One key to long fuel pump life is to always fill the tank when getting gas. That provides the greatest amount of cooling protection to the pump motor. By adhering to this I have had a factory pump for 185k in my folks pickup (that I previously owned).

• 1 month later...

Archived