I'd like to start off by thanking you all for stopping by to read this post and helping me out...!!! :fingersx::thumbs:

This summer I plan on throwing a 6 inch lift kit from BDS onto my 2008 Silverado 1500 Ext cab 4x4.

Here is a link to the kit: http://bds-suspension.com/product?ma=5&mo=1&ty=1&yr=2007-2013-

But before I throw it on, I'd like to know some options I have for locking difs.

I plan on running 4.56s or even 4.10 (I still haven't made my mind up yet). I am currently running stock gears which are 3.73 on 33" tires. When I do the lift her, I'd like to run 35s (maybe on 17s or 18s).. haven't decided on that either; don't know which would look better with 35s).

Now, my truck has the RPO code that states it has the Eaton G80 Locker. I picked her up in early to mid October of 2014, and since owning the truck I have yet to notice the locker engage.

I've been through some deep snow, ice, gravel roads, and some light mud with terrible tires and even then haven't noticed an engagement..? At this point, I'm feeling like I may not actually have a locking dif :shakehead: .

So, I start looking briefly at some locking diffs online (one of them was the Detroit Truetrac). But I read somewhere that they don't suggest tires over 33s; reason being that the tire is too big and the locking dif won't engage.

Because of that, I'm lost on what locking difs are available/ones I should consider looking into.

I don't plan on beating my truck into the ground, nor do I plan on doing extreme off roading/jumping my truck. More like nice casual off-roading with some buddies, going to our fishing/hunting grounds, and exploring new areas. As well as going mudding wherever & whenever we can :D

Appreciate any help any of you can give me.

Thanks!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The gov-loc the trucks got with the G80 code is awful IF it were functioning and you were changing gears to compliment the tires I would still recommend changing it. The person who designed it needs to be kicked in the sack, then kicked in the face when they are down.

Still don't know many options for lockers..

The gov-loc the trucks got with the G80 code is awful IF it were functioning and you were changing gears to compliment the tires I would still recommend changing it. The person who designed it needs to be kicked in the sack, then kicked in the face when they are down.

Um...ok there bud lol..

Still don't know many options.

In my street/strip car which has the same 8.5" axle and was for a time my daily driver through Wisconsin winters I have been satisfied with an Eaton clutch style posi, I might try a Torsen next. I really don't know what to say for a truck though, offroad and larger tires present differnt challenges than a pair of Michey Thompson slicks on a glued surface.

What I do know is my truck has athe gov-loc and it is awful, drives badly and creates substantial risk of breakage.

It waits till the tire speed difference is at a certain threshold but below I think 15mph and then a cast iron pawl engages and instantly engages the second tire. If you have one tire on ice and one on dry pavement it feels like you got rearended, then it sticks and binds the tires up. There is substantial chance of breakage when it engages instantly locking the second tire to the first is a LOT os shock.

Well in all honesty can't say I've ever felt the g80 for my self..

and as good as I am with my truck. I'd just like to see an hear opinions about lockers an if I should get one.

Now like I said I don't do Hardcore nor will I but I'm open to suggestions an options to look at.

I heard ARB make really good manual lockers but I can't find out for my truck. So figured they don't make em?

It's been a while since I've read up, but from what I remember, lots of guys on GMFS run the Detroit trueurac with some fairly large setups.

From the brief research I just did, eaton now allows up to a 38" tire although the manual still says 32".

Go to the very bottom where it says Detroit truetrac and look at the warranty response.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Vehicle/Differentials/FAQforDifferentials/PCT_1124162

It's been a while since I've read up, but from what I remember, lots of guys on GMFS run the Detroit trueurac with some fairly large setups.

From the brief research I just did, eaton now allows up to a 38" tire although the manual still says 32".

Go to the very bottom where it says Detroit truetrac and look at the warranty response.

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Vehicle/Differentials/FAQforDifferentials/PCT_1124162

Oh ok, I'll give them a check again an see prices for unit an install ect.

What you guys think of one up front as well?

I was originally thinkin just rear but my ears listening an my eyes opened if any one wants to suggest anything :D!

Thanks a bunch blackout :D

Factory G80 lockers survived nearly 5 years of ownership in mjy 2003 6" lifted 35" tires silverado towing alot and off roading. Never had an issue. The truck did have 4.10 gears. It not that bad. I've had 4 GM trucks and never had an issue with G80 lockers.

Also, if your doing a gear swap, go 4.56. The 4.10's will get the job done and still give you decent mileage, but will leave you wishing you had a little more gear. If I would have kept the truck, that was on my list of "ta-do's".

Ye I think I'll do the 4.56's.

I can't seem to find any one that's running a trutrac with 35s on their truck.

You know any one or video links or something?

Wana see its performs before I even look into specs for my vehicle.

You'll know when the G80 engages. It makes a pretty good clunking noise.

I don't off road, but my truck has 155K on the clock now and I can say that the rear has performed as designed everytime I've needed. Is it junk? No. Is it the best option out there? No on that one as well.

You'll know when the G80 engages. It makes a pretty good clunking noise.

I don't off road, but my truck has 155K on the clock now and I can say that the rear has performed as designed everytime I've needed. Is it junk? No. Is it the best option out there? No on that one as well.

An yes. I agree with Steven. No way I'd consider less than 4.56. As a matter of fact I greatly preferred the drive ability of my truck with 4.88s and 35s than I do now with 37s.

with 4.88s is that more torque?

Between the 4.56s and the 4.88s

which would be best?

I know the 4.56s will bring her back to basically being as if she was stocked with them an the lift with 35s.

If 4.56+tires is mathematically the same as what you have now then you want the 4.88s, the extra weight of the tires and the extra wind resistance of being higher are going to reduce the performance even if mathematically the final drive stays the same.

To those happy with a gov-loc, have you even driven another posi or locker? Often folks are happy with things when they just don't know better yet.

My Z71 is frankly a station wagon, on road use only unless you count grass in my yard, and onroad in snow the gov-loc SUCKS. In snow or deep snow the more severe lack of traction might soften the engagement. You get one tire on pavement and one on something slock and it is violent.

I only have a Z71 because a used decently equipped 2wd crewcab in Wisconsin is hard to come by.

Archived