16k and rear axle is leaking

Noticed today while washing the truck the RR wheel has gear oil on the inside of the rim. Crawled under the truck and the RR wheel seal is going. Gear oil over the tire, rim, back plate etc. Gear oil everywhere. I cannot believe that a new truck with 16k on the clock has a RR axle seal going bad. My '94 Toyota made it to 140k and then I rebuilt the axle when I did gears and lockers. Well, I need to take it in to the dealer, and hopefully get a loaner.

What is the purpose of this thread?

You took the truck to the dealer, under what appears to be warranty, and they denied you an acceptable means of fixing the problem?

Or - you immediately complained on an internet forum about a mass produced vehicle having an issue that now apparently is being taken care of at your dealer?

What did you expect to get in between your original post and going to the dealer? Every reasonable response would have been "go to your dealer".

I had a new 98 2500 Silverado that had a leaking axle seal that would get changed, then start leaking again after about a month of driving (2000 miles). It got changed 4 times along with the entire housing, using my original guts. Clearly the axle seal surface that rode on the seal was wearing out the seal. The series of dealers and GM customer service never were organized enough to figure it out, nor listen to me. Chevrolet bought that truck back after a year.

Noticed today while washing the truck the RR wheel has gear oil on the inside of the rim. Crawled under the truck and the RR wheel seal is going. Gear oil over the tire, rim, back plate etc. Gear oil everywhere. I cannot believe that a new truck with 16k on the clock has a RR axle seal going bad. My '94 Toyota made it to 140k and then I rebuilt the axle when I did gears and lockers. Well, I need to take it in to the dealer, and hopefully get a loaner.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm within 200 miles of 16k. I Will look for that one this week. Don't let some GM plant try to scare you off from posting your experience. With all that clunking around in the transmission and rear end, it's a wonder they all aren't leaking. Hopefully they get you fixed up and on your way? Let us know how it turned out.

Point is heads up to other members. Some may not even notice. Dealer fixed it quick yesterday. Hopefully it's done deal and not coming back leaking in 2k miles like the above member. Most people don't even look for something like this on a new truck. The quicker you catch it, the better. I had a few 80's and 90's Toyotas. Reason I'm not driving a Tundra now.... I owned a new '09 TRD off-road Tacoma, custom ordered. Last Toyota I'll ever own. They more than lost their way. They just build appliances now. I'm not upset. Dealer got me in and out. no issues on my end. plus I got to stare at two Camaros and a Tahoe.

• 3 months later...

Anyone following this topic:

I may have a leaking axle seal and wondering if the leak would show up while truck is sitting - that is, if I clean up inside the drum, then let it sit a couple days, will I start to see new signs of leakage around the seal? Asking since my problem may be that or it may be leak from WC. Definitely putting in new WC, but want to be sure seal is OK before I button it back up.

• 2 weeks later...

Look at the outside of the wheel, back into the rotor, between the rotor and the backing plate, on the bottom. I now have 24k on my truck and it's leak free. Still loving my '14. Just spend 6hrs this evening detailing it inside and out, which it deserved. Filthy. The upside for me was I got my break-in gear lube changed out for free. the dealer did not put in the purple stuff... not sure what they used, but it's clear. Smells good. At 30k I'm going to pull the cover and go M1 75-90. I just topped it off today with M1.

Look at the outside of the wheel, back into the rotor, between the rotor and the backing plate, on the bottom. I now have 24k on my truck and it's leak free. Still loving my '14. Just spend 6hrs this evening detailing it inside and out, which it deserved. Filthy. The upside for me was I got my break-in gear lube changed out for free. the dealer did not put in the purple stuff... not sure what they used, but it's clear. Smells good. At 30k I'm going to pull the cover and go M1 75-90. I just topped it off today with M1.

Correct rear axle lube is SAE 75W-85 Synthetic Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. 19300457, in

Canada 19300458).
For the front it's SAE 80W-90 Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. 89021671, in
Canada 89021672).

My output shaft on the tranny was leaking the first week i had the truck. No big deal, It was fixed and then i got got rid all the other issues with the truck.

redwngr- You are correct. They call for a 75/85 syn rearl axle lube and 80/90 conventional oil in the front diff. I am not paying the outrageous GM prices for some lube that will help THEM pass CAFE MPG regulation by .01mpg better. And then they cut thier cost by running cheap dino 80/90 up front b/c it doesn't affect the CAFE test. I rather run M1 75/90 syn in both diffs and be well protected and not break the bank. Nothing wrong with running M1 in both diffs. The G80 is mechanical. LSD additivies don't bother it one way or the other. At 30k I'll be doing M1 75/90 in both diffs. I use Auto 4wd a lot in FL b/c of the rain and being in a unloaded truck. More useful than I expected. And I use 4wd on the job site.

Archived