6.2L Max Tow, Anybody have one?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just drove a Sierra double cab SLT 6.2L with max tow today... dealer had two of them in stock, both identical. Not bad, but I was actually kind of underwhelmed by it. First and only 6.2L/8-spd. I've had the opportunity to drive and it didn't have anywhere near the amount of grunt or power that I was expecting based on what I've been hearing, but the gearing did have it settling in at 70MPH pretty effortlessly.

I'll chalk the less than stellar acceleration up to the "towing" calibration, I guess.

I just drove a Sierra double cab SLT 6.2L with max tow today... dealer had two of them in stock, both identical. Not bad, but I was actually kind of underwhelmed by it. First and only 6.2L/8-spd. I've had the opportunity to drive and it didn't have anywhere near the amount of grunt or power that I was expecting based on what I've been hearing, but the gearing did have it settling in at 70MPH pretty effortlessly.

I'll chalk the less than stellar acceleration up to the "towing" calibration, I guess.

That honestly doesn't surprise me. I have my expectations set low for my truck w/o a tune.

If anything the lower gear ratio of the Max Tow would be a benefit not a liability. I too test drove a 6.2 8 spd crew cab two weeks ago and was less than impressed after reading many report stellar performance. I also own a 2015 C7 z51 with the 7 spd manual and at 3300 lbs it IS truly impressive. I guess I too was expecting a little more ump as well.......but at the end of the day it's still just a pickup and not a performance car.

If anything the lower gear ratio of the Max Tow would be a benefit not a liability. I too test drove a 6.2 8 spd crew cab two weeks ago and was less than impressed after reading many report stellar performance. I also own a 2015 C7 z51 with the 7 spd manual and at 3300 lbs it IS truly impressive. I guess I too was expecting a little more ump as well.......but at the end of the day it's still just a pickup and not a performance car.

Right... just like the 3.73 gears in my current Sierra with the 5.3L/4spd. correlated to a slight acceleration bump.

I was just hoping it would be a significant jump from the new 5.3L and it really wasn't; though to be fair I've only driven one other 2015 so far, a Denali with the 5.3.

Regardless, I'm still leaning heavily toward the 6.2L under the premise that it should have more potential to eventually be unlocked. I miss the insane acceleration my Trailblazer SS had for a 4000#+ SUV.

Regardless, I'm still leaning heavily toward the 6.2L under the premise that it should have more potential to eventually be unlocked. I miss the insane acceleration my Trailblazer SS had for a 4000#+ SUV.

I have the same problem with comparing acceleration. I had a SRT8 Jeep years back, and doing a full throttle brake stand launch in that thing was freaking insane. My Z06's and my GT500 couldn't touch that as they just couldn't hook up.

Just wish my trucks could do that now, haha.

That sounds disappointing, my 2011 NHT 6.2 is leaps and bounds faster then any 5.3 I have tried including a 2014. It is a night and day difference even with tuners and intakes on the 5.3. The 6.2's 3.5" stock exhaust probably helps a lot.

I am expecting my new 6.2 to be even faster with DI and more horsepower and more importantly more torque.

When you guys go for your test drives, make sure you have the traction control turned off. When you try and drive it "briskly," even on dry pavement it will be kicking in and making the engine feel lazy.

When you guys go for your test drives, make sure you have the traction control turned off. When you try and drive it "briskly," even on dry pavement it will be kicking in and making the engine feel lazy.

I never once saw anything pop up on the DIC/IPC indicating stabilitrak or traction control kicked in... or do they not do that anymore?

Incidentally I had Stabilitrak/TC enabled when I drove the 5.3L Denali and without even intending to I got it to bark the tires, nothing ever kicked in then either.

Most of the time it's kicking in you don't know it. The light only comes on in a severe, sustained "intervention." If you log your driving with a scanner, you'll see it's pulling timing quite often when taking off from a stop or getting on the gas at low speeds. It just gives the general feeling of lousy throttle response.

Now don't get me wrong, with the stock tune the throttle response still isn't great even with the TC off, but with the TC on it's really, really bad because it's doing what it was designed to do.

I am most curious about how the transmission handles the additional towing capacity. Not calling the transmission crap, but there's enough problems floating around on it that makes me think it won't like additional stress. Or perhaps the gearing will make it happy. Time will tell....

Archived