2011 GMC Dropped Cylinder/Misfire - Any fix?

FlyingRazorback

Question

My truck has dropped a cylinder for the 3rd time in 12-18 months. It's the same every time, the truck starts to idle rough and in a minute or two the thing feels like it's trying to shake itself apart. The Traction Control light/Service Stabilitrak comes on and the check engine light comes on.

The last couple of times the code reads that there's a mis-fire on one or two cylinders. They replace some spark plugs and I believe they replaced a valve cover.

My question is, is this something I'm going to have to live with every 4-6 months, 2-3,000 miles forever? This sucks. But I've got a paid off truck and I'd rather it get fixed for good than buy a new one.

2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 SLT.

2 answers to this question

Well it took them a week but I just got my truck back today. This is the 3rd time oil was fouling the plugs and causing a misfire in either #1 or #7. In the past the valve covers had been replaced.

When they got down in it this time they found that the #1 cylinder was oil fouled. They took everything apart and 6 of the 8 oil rings were stuck in the ring lands on the piston.

So this time they replaced all 8 pistons and all 8 oil rings. All 8 rod bearings were replaced. And of course all gaskets and fluids were replaced. It looks like all gaskets and bolts were replaced.

This should fix the problem permanently, but at 49,000 miles, I think I'm going to try and trade this one in this week and start over. I love this truck, but I have a bad feeling with this much work in it already.

The service shop at the dealer is going to keep it 2 or 3 days. I think they're going to replace piston rings and maybe even the #1 piston. Spark plug was shot, it started eating oil bad on the way to the shop.

The service tech remembered working on my truck the last time and it was #1 and #7 the previous time. He said GM only let him replace spark plugs and the service bulletin covering what he's about to do would only serve 2008-2010 vehicles last time. It has since been released for 2011-2013.

Anyway, let's hope this works. I really don't want to drop a cylinder every couple thousand miles/6 months. But to get a 2015 GMC Sierra Z71 SLT, same trim as I have now, the truck is now $20,000 more dollars. Hard to give up a paid off truck in the trim you like when a trade in would only take you down to the price you paid for the truck last time.

Archived