What do you guys and gals think of the dealership surveys?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't bought from the same dealer twice in quite a long, long time. And I avoid dealer service departments like the plague. The dealer is just a way to get a new vehicle to me. If I could, I would order what I wanted direct from the OEM and skip the dealer thing altogether, both sales and service. Just cut out the middleman.

GM places a very high importance on these customer surveys.

I'm going to condense this without going into detail.

I took my wife's 2013 Equinox in for a warranty issue. They didn't fix it. I was pissed off. I filled out the survey giving the dealership the worst possible marks for customer service, vehicle service, everything.

I got SIX calls from GM in the next 3 days, sucking up to me, offering to make an appointment for me at a different dealership, generally kissing my a** to make me feel better.

I told them I didn't want anything from them and I would take it to a private mechanic and fix it myself.

30 days later that dealership was closed. 30 days after that, they had been bought out by a highly reputable large local dealership from KC.

I'm not saying it was me. I'm just saying this: If GM gets enough negative survey results they take pretty quick action to eliminate the problem. They want us to be happy. Money in their pockets if we're happy.

The survey I got when I bought my 2015, I gave them a few high marks in some areas, some mediocre marks in some areas, and blistered them on their service department. Never heard a peep from anyone at dealership or GM. Not sure the surveys are all that important to every dealership or GM in general.

I think dealers take surveys very seriously. I have a friend that owned several dealerships and he was concerned about the surveys. I did not get one on the 2500HD, not sure why.. Maybe because I got employee price?? Not sure it that had anything to do with it.

Looks like, from the link, that the GMC crowd thinks less of their 2500/3500 pickups than the Chevy crowd does. I would have figured that it would have been equal. And I question the all "5's" on the JD Power thing. If folks are truly honest with these surveys, no vehicle would get 5 stars in every category. And GMC and Siverado are essentially the same pickup internally. And overall dependability is less, with body and interior dependability way less on the GMC? Something doesn't smell right.

Has anyone here been asked by GM to join the My Chevy community research program? I got an e mail from GM and had a link to join and they sent me my first survey yesterday. This looks like I will get to voice my opinion directly to Chevrolet about future vehicles, marketing and service.

Looks like, from the link, that the GMC crowd thinks less of their 2500/3500 pickups than the Chevy crowd does. I would have figured that it would have been equal. And I question the all "5's" on the JD Power thing. If folks are truly honest with these surveys, no vehicle would get 5 stars in every category. And GMC and Siverado are essentially the same pickup internally. And overall dependability is less, with body and interior dependability way less on the GMC? Something doesn't smell right.

maybe related to the dealership employees & customer relations , not the truck itself

maybe related to the dealership employees & customer relations , not the truck itself

If memory serves me properly from when I was asked to fill out a JD Power survey, they do NOT ask the same questions that a Dealer Survery does. Theirs are more intelligent. Things like:

- Did you have to bring your vehicle back to the dealer after to delivery to have anything repaired that was broken at the time of delivery?

- Did you have any unexpected repairs that were necessary during the first 3,000 miles of ownership?

There were no warm & fuzzy "how did that make you feel?" sort of questions. The five stars doesn't say people liked them, it says that the trucks, except for an outlier or two, were predominantly correct and reliable during the initial period of ownership. And it says "Among The Best", not "well-loved".

I would be interested in reading the footnotes from the surveys to understand why the GMC trucks ranked so much lower. What was it that cut their rating to "Better than most" from "Among the best" of their sister?

Also - Don't confuse Ford being listed second as having anything to do with their ranking - it's Alphabetical.

My Chevy dealer is so concerned about making the positive grade that they actually put on the service invoice the cell and home number of the dealer owner saying to call him if I can't provide positive grades for them in the surveys.. And this guy owns several dealerships. So far they haven't given me a reason to answer anything but good service.

Archived