What type gas do you use? 87? 89? 92?

I use 89 octane at the advice of Blackbear tuning. They recommend at minimum using 89 octane even on STOCK tuning (for the 5.3 and 4.3). 6.2 motors should be using a minimum of 91.

I use regular 87 for daily driving and I use premium 91 for towing my 6000lbs camper... sometimes the boat too at 3500lbs, but not always... depends on how full tank already was... but only premium 91 in the boat or else it pings.

Unless you are tuned for the higher octane or have the 6.2L engine, you are wasting your money filling up with 91 octane. Putting higher octane in your truck because you are towing something will not help with anything but making your wallet lighter.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

I use 89 octane at the advice of Blackbear tuning. They recommend at minimum using 89 octane even on STOCK tuning (for the 5.3 and 4.3). 6.2 motors should be using a minimum of 91.

That must have been you that I heard that from. Why did he recommend 89? Was it due to what he was seeing via engine knock sensors? My thoughts are that perhaps it was with 87 he saw some knock retarding happening while 89 was just enough to avoid it and 92+ wasn't necessary?

• Like 1

I use 87 exclusively and only fill up at Shell, BP, Chevron, or Mobil. My lifetime average fuel economy is 18.1 mpg for 8,000 miles. My typical highway economy is 21 mpg. I cannot run e85 because my 2015 engine is not compatible.

Unless you are tuned for the higher octane or have the 6.2L engine, you are wasting your money filling up with 91 octane. Putting higher octane in your truck because you are towing something will not help with anything but making your wallet lighter.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

It won't get me any better fuel economy and certainly costs me more, all true... but has better additives and runs cooler. It's worth the extra $$$ to run cooler when towing to me.

E85 or mid grade gas. E85 locally mid grade on trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This.

I average around 18-18.5 with e85 and 20.5-21 with 89. Financially it doesn't make any since to run regular gas as long as I can find e85.

Edited by Stars_Fan

E85 or mid grade gas. E85 locally mid grade on trips.

Same thing here! Except I only use e85 when home and use gas when I go up north. I wonder if the motor will ever have long term effects with using roughly 95% of my fuel being e85. Thats what a warranty is for.

This.

I average around 18-18.5 with e85 and 20.5-21 with 89. Financially it doesn't make any since to run regular gas as long as I can find e85.

I pay between 1.35-1.65 for E 85, even if was the same price as mid grade gas Id buy it for the extra HP. I only use gas when I can't get E85 traveling.

It won't get me any better fuel economy and certainly costs me more, all true... but has better additives and runs cooler. It's worth the extra $$$ to run cooler when towing to me.

This has me confused, can you explain why it would run cooler?