What type gas do you use? 87? 89? 92?

Premium/high-octane gasoline has the same energy content as the regular/low-octane gasoline. E85 is a different story; it has much higher octane rating but less energy content. There is no correlation between the octane rating and the energy content. The high alcohol content shifts the fuel characteristics toward the alcohol.

I stand corrected. I did some reading and confirmed this. The old days are gone... :tumbleweed:

Premium fuel, in Canada, has a higher octane and more additives. It's more than just higher octane... at a quality place... the cheapo places, that may well be the case. I don't have the background to explain why or what or how... but my truck runs cooler towing a 6000 pound camper when burning petro-canada premium 91 octane gas vs a cheap 87 from fasgas or walmart. Argue against it if you want, I really don't care... I've seen it, it matters to me, and that's what I care about, more so than arguing over it.

Yeah I can't speak for Canada I'm not familiar with how they do things under their government regulations. Down here, it's the brand of gasoline that determines the amount and type of additives, not the octane rating. For example Shell has the same additives across all of their octanes of gas....87 or 89 or 93, all the same additives. But because they're a top tier brand their certified to have more additives than a non top tier fuel.

I just used Sunoco as an example because they were the first brand that popped into my head that wasn't on the Top Tier list I really haven't researched them that well. Sunoco may have the additives as they claim but $20,000 is mere pennies for these companies to pay to get certified so I'm curious why they wouldn't just pay it. I agree I don't think their fuel sucks....it is a better known brand for sure. So why not pay the $20k and get certified? My guess is it's not just the $20k that's the problem. Top tier requires every drop of gas under the brand regardless of station or location to have the same additive properties. My guess is they have to upgrade some of their infrastructure to ensure this is the case so there's upgrade/construction costs involved, not just the certification fee. Doesn't mean their gas is bad, just means they can't pass the test 100% of the time. I suspect over time as they upgrade everything they'll eventually get certified. I'd certainly trust Sunoco fuel over some other off brand station for sure.

Edited by Silverado-Hareek

I just paid 1.29 per gallon for Kroger E85. I use to wonder about ( top tier) gas but at that price ill just save the receipts. Some people pay more for peace of mind. Between my wife and my daughter and an 10 year old Hyundai Elantra that only gets cheap gas and once a year oil changes, I don't put much into that any more. That car runs like brand new. My wifes 2011 Hyundai Geneses same thing cheapest gas in town. She buys at Sams and Kroger that's it.

Damn at $2.50 a gallon that would only be about 5-10 cents more in my area. At that price I would run it all day long.

It's currently 2.44 for 91 here.

I also run the 87 which is what GM recommends. I do add a can of Seafoam once or twice a year to keep any water from condensation down and the fuel system cleaned. I use it in all my vehicals and in my small engines as fuel stabilizer for long term storage.

does anyone use any of those fuel additive and cleaner shot things that you can get at an auto store? i never know if these ever work or not, or if they are even useful?

Per post #51: I use it to maintain my fuel systems in all my combustion engines and as a fuel stabilizer in the winter.

• 1 month later...

Hey all. Have owned my 2015 Sierra SLE with Max Towing and 5.3L for all of 10 days. Still running on its first tank of gasoline, kindly filled by the dealer. I hate to start a controversy on my very first post by asking, but do you think it's okay for me to run on 85 octane? I know the manual says 87 minimum. Even the OP's thread title doesn't suggest 85 octane as an option. BUT...

Where I live, the elevation is 6,100 feet. Everywhere in this region, regular gasoline is 85 octane.

In past vehicles I've owned, dealerships have consistently told me it's fine to run 85 octane gas at high elevations, even though all the manuals state 87 minimum. I've done so in the past with no obvious issues.

Many websites, including Pop Mechanics say it's okay to run 85 octane at high elevations. For instance at: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a5308/4345737/?click=welcome-ad

"I live in Arizona and use 87-octane regular. In Utah, Idaho and Nevada, stations were selling 85-octane as regular gas. This forced me to pay more for midgrade 87-octane. Is this the latest petroleum-industry scam to get more of our money? Will my car run okay on this bogus 85-octane regular? (PM Answer:) Octane is the ability of a fuel to resist knock, and high-compression engines tend to knock more. The obverse of that is that lower-compression engines can run on lower-octane gas. Air is thinner the higher above sea level you go. Less air going into the cylinders means less pressure at top dead center when things go bang. It's a lot like lowering the compression ratio in the engine, reducing the need for high octane. Cars will run just fine on lower-octane fuel when they're well above sea level--and all of those states are. Hopefully, by the time you get back down to denser air, you've burned off most of the low-octane stuff, and can refill the tank with higher-grade fuel."

Anyway, what do you think? BTW, likin' my new truck!

I have 20 + years of towing in my former vehicle which had a 4.3. I did rental trailers until we purchased our pop-up in July 1995. Our Pop-up weighed right at 3,000. I have also pulled trailers for friends, as well as our BSA troop trailer. Then in 2012 we purchased a 21 foot self contained trailer weighting 4,000 + . Pulled it for the past 3 years. I ran 87 octane in normal day to day driving, but I will fill up with 91 when pulling a trailer. When my tow vehicle died it had 338,000+ miles. There were several occasions when the troop borrowed my vehicle without either hubby or I going on that trip. When you can seat 7, tow a vehicle, and have extra room for gear, you are pretty popular with a BSA troop.

That engine overheated due to a cooling issue, nothing to do with the engine. I am a bit sad, we were planning on keeping it another couple of years and wanted to see how many more miles were were going to put on that engine before it died.

Since I am planning on keeping my new truck for 20 + years, I will do the a repeat on how much octane to put into the tank when pulling a tow vehicle. We also run a 100% synthetic oil called Amsoil. When an engine can continue to run pulling a 2 ton trailer with that much age/ mileage (and do it well) speaks volumes about the the engine oil and the soundness of the engine. My hubby was working on engines as soon as he could hold a wrench. By the time he was in high school he was teaching the teacher stuff about engines and cars.

I am ordering my tow mirrors in the next day or two. Then I will be ready to test the new truck and see how it does pulling the trailer. With this bigger engine, I doubt I am sure that it is going to be a dream to pull a trailer as small as this one. My hubby already asked if we were going to be getting a bigger trailer. LOL. My theme song for this summer may be "On the road again."

I just stumbled across this thread....I run 93 octane, I paid $2.68 the other day. Like what has been mentioned a few times, with 11:1 compression, detonation is an engine killer, so you need a slower burning fuel (higher octane). The goal to reach maximum efficiency in an internal combustion is to have a "flame front" that burns at around 100fps...Think of it as a controlled burn, rather than an explosion.

I have 20 + years of towing in my former vehicle which had a 4.3. I did rental trailers until we purchased our pop-up in July 1995. Our Pop-up weighed right at 3,000. I have also pulled trailers for friends, as well as our BSA troop trailer. Then in 2012 we purchased a 21 foot self contained trailer weighting 4,000 + . Pulled it for the past 3 years. I ran 87 octane in normal day to day driving, but I will fill up with 91 when pulling a trailer. When my tow vehicle died it had 338,000+ miles. There were several occasions when the troop borrowed my vehicle without either hubby or I going on that trip. When you can seat 7, tow a vehicle, and have extra room for gear, you are pretty popular with a BSA troop.

That engine overheated due to a cooling issue, nothing to do with the engine. I am a bit sad, we were planning on keeping it another couple of years and wanted to see how many more miles were were going to put on that engine before it died.

Since I am planning on keeping my new truck for 20 + years, I will do the a repeat on how much octane to put into the tank when pulling a tow vehicle. We also run a 100% synthetic oil called Amsoil. When an engine can continue to run pulling a 2 ton trailer with that much age/ mileage (and do it well) speaks volumes about the the engine oil and the soundness of the engine. My hubby was working on engines as soon as he could hold a wrench. By the time he was in high school he was teaching the teacher stuff about engines and cars.

I am ordering my tow mirrors in the next day or two. Then I will be ready to test the new truck and see how it does pulling the trailer. With this bigger engine, I doubt I am sure that it is going to be a dream to pull a trailer as small as this one. My hubby already asked if we were going to be getting a bigger trailer. LOL. My theme song for this summer may be "On the road again."

As a Scout Master, thank you for pulling the troop trailer! Typically it is hooked to my bumper. I also run a higher octane when pulling the trailer or just going on long trips. I've noticed it does make a difference. It always amazes me how much that boy scout trailer can weigh, then take a group of 12 to Philmont and you can go in 2 suburbans, no trailer and the rear doesn't even squat. Truck / Trailer camping is so much heavier.

As a Scout Master, thank you for pulling the troop trailer! Typically it is hooked to my bumper. I also run a higher octane when pulling the trailer or just going on long trips. I've noticed it does make a difference. It always amazes me how much that boy scout trailer can weigh, then take a group of 12 to Philmont and you can go in 2 suburbans, no trailer and the rear doesn't even squat. Truck / Trailer camping is so much heavier.

You are welcome. My son earned his Eagle rank in 2008. Even tho he has been done with the troop, I have stayed involved with Merit Badges and fundraisers. I finally convinced the troop committee several years after we purchased the troop trailer that it should have been fitted with trailer brakes. For a time the only two vehicles that pulled the troop trailer was mine with hubby or I driving or the Committee Chair. When they finally listened to me about the trailer brakes they did some research and realized that I was correct that it should have had a trailer brake system from the beginning. Then for a time I was the only one that was able to pull the trailer until others in the troop were able to get their vehicles set up for the trailer brake system. BTW Our troop has been to Philmont twice, but we take the train.

• Like 1