What type gas do you use? 87? 89? 92?

I've been running 87 most of the time and 89 occasionally since I got the truck. I must say it's a relief to my wallet not having to use 93 all the time anymore. I have a 5.3, so regular is fine. I wish I could get my hands on 93 for $2.68 though, I would be all over that! It's around $3.40 here.

I posted earlier in the thread that I've been buying Shell 89 exclusively for a while now. However my wife and I just recently got a Sam's Club membership and I can get 93 from Sam's club for less than I get 89 from Shell. Only thing is Sam's gas isn't Top Tier. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used Sams Club fuels for years without a problem. Currently I don't use it but not because of quality problems. IMO, "Top Tier" status should be taken with a grain of salt.

I posted earlier in the thread that I've been buying Shell 89 exclusively for a while now. However my wife and I just recently got a Sam's Club membership and I can get 93 from Sam's club for less than I get 89 from Shell. Only thing is Sam's gas isn't Top Tier. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try it and see if the truck changes in mileage or power feel.

I have filled up at 3 different stations: Co-op (Independent company,fuel is refined in Saskatchewan,Canada; regarded as top tier here), Petro-Canada (Suncor energy based filling station, Suncor is heavily involved in the oil sands in northern Alberta, also regarded as top tier), and Shell. I "seem" to have the best mileage with Shell fuel, and I tried driving in equivalent distances and conditions, still seemed to get an average of 1 mpg better than the other 2.

Shell also came out with a "better" 91 called v power nitro,see link. I have been to a few stations with it.

http://www.kcentv.com/story/29220198/new-shell-v-power-nitro-premium-gasoline-introduces-breakthrough-formulation-for-best-total-engine-protection

Edited by Jordan18

I just finished running four consecutive tanks of Shell 93, and have been running Shell 87 since September 2013, prior. The gas mileage was no better. It cost me $8-$10 more to fill up, and I really could not feel any difference in performance.

I have had to use other brands of fuel on occasion, like when I took my trip out West last fall. The local Shell is getting a complete overhaul right now, new tanks and pumps. Last week I tried gas from Citgo, and my gas mileage went down. I filled up with AGO gas towards the end of last week, and already seeing an increase in gas mileage over the Citgo branded. I know some of the tanker trucks go from one brand station to the next, but apparently there must be a difference in these two brands.

I'm going to stick with the manufacturers rating of 87 octane and not worry about it. I haven't seen anything to convince me otherwise. If someone can get better gas mileage than I am getting on Shell 87, I'd love to see it.

As far as engine knock, I've never heard it, or pinging of any type. Of course the DI engine has its own special sound, so who knows for sure. I have a 5 year/100,000 mile Powertrain Warranty if there is a problem down the road. I know I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but I am going to save the extra $10/week, $500+/year by buying regular 87 over premium 93.

Edited by Ventilator

• 5 years later...

Pepper is a flex fuel vehicle but 87 E-10 most of the time unless I'm experimenting or storing. I've never run E-85 as in my area the price spread has never been large enough to offset the mileage loss. In fact it is rarely more than a quarter a gallon cheaper on two dollar fuel. I have filled in the winter with 90-91 E-0 to store. I'd use 87 E-0 if I could find it. Experimenting I used 93 E-10 for a few months. Other than the hole in my wallet I could tell not real difference. Still ran KR, albeit a bit less.

Note on winter fuel. Always a hot topic. Recently we had a full week of 70 F+ weather in my area. Guess what happened to my fuel economy on winter fuel? Yea...right back to summer economy numbers. It's isn't fuel kids. It's viscosity.  

I run 93 since it is a 6.2.   I will mix some E85 in it when I'm in that town that has it.  Love the exhaust smell running E85.   

On my 2002 when I had it I ran 93 since Blackbear tuned it.  I also talked to Jason of Blackbear and he said that these LS engines have a high compression and he is seeing that the computer is having to reduce timing a ton to reduce knock if it can when one runs 87.  He suggests to at least run 89 if you can even if it is stock.

7 hours ago, Wesivy said:

If I use 87, I seem to have a fuel smell in my oil when changing it. I use 89 with no issues, even when towing my 8000 lb camper.

Blow-by, everyone's oil smells like gasoline. I was worried too, even though it was the first time I did a sniff test on oil. Lol

23 hours ago, Wesivy said:

I was also noticing when I first started the truck an opaque white smoke from the exhaust like it was burning rich with the 87. It just started that at 75,000 miles but doesn't do it with 89 or 93. 

The only thing octane could impact is engine knock. There was a tsb when these trucks first came out addressing white or black smoke on start up. Odd that your noticing it at 75000 miles. 

Go with your gut. If you feel the truck isn't performing how it should be, I would bring it into a reliable dealer and see if they can diagnose your problems.