2000 GMC Sierra fuse block puzzle

CaptWill

Question

Bought a 2000 Sierra last October, and like a lot of things about it, but not that it doesn't have a ignition-switched 12v power port. There are 3 12v outlets in a row, at the bottom center of dash. The one on the right is cigarette lighter, and I understand that it is always hot. Other 2 are also always hot, so I was going to pull the fuse for them, and see if I can find a source of switched power.

Fuse block diagram marked "CIGAR", says in the manual that thr 15A fuse is for cigarette lighter and accessory power. When I pull the fuse, only cigarette socket is dead. Can't find any other fuse on either fuse block that it could be. Anyone here know?

Don't know if you can help witih this, but I also notice that there is a single pushpin-type receptacle on the fuse block under the hood, marked "PRIME". Nothing in the book about that. What is it for?

12 answers to this question

OM shows the "CIGAR" 10A fuse, in the fuse block under the hood, is for the cigarette lighter and aux 12V power ports. When I pull that fuse, the cigarette lighter socket is dead, but the 2 aux ports next to it are still hot. Pulled other fuses for optional equip, but it's still hot. Checked the fuses on left side of dash, and nothing there either.

Where's the fuse that protects these power ports?

Thanks for your reply. I bought the truck, with only 20k miles, from my neighbor, who bought it new, but I do know that everything is original, and it was serviced only at the dealer where he bought it. I don't know what "retained accessory power" is, but the 12v accy power ports stay hot all the time. Nothing on this truck has been added or modified.

Retained accessory power is when you turn the truck off, take the keys out, and don't open any doors. The radio will keep playing for 10 minutes. Actually most accessories will work for 10 minutes with the key out of the ignition. Once 10 minutes has gone by, power it shut off to the accessories. Same thing happens if you open a door. Easy to tell if you have it, shut the truck off with the radio on, and do not open the door. If the radio stays on, it should mean you have retained accessory power.

Have you owned this truck since new? How sure are you that the ports are original equipment? If these are not original, they may be protected by inline fuses, hopefully. I would not expect to see more than one 12v port on one 10a fuse.

Does your truck have retained accessory power? Do the sockets go dead after 10 minutes like they should?

Thanks for your reply. I bought the truck, with only 20k miles, from my neighbor, who bought it new, but I do know that everything is original, and it was serviced only at the dealer where he bought it. I don't know what "retained accessory power" is, but the 12v accy power ports stay hot all the time. Nothing on this truck has been added or modified.

I have the same setup on mine. There is a separate fuse for the other 2. I can't remember what it is off the top of my head. I'll try to check tonight.

Have you checked the fuses on the left side of the dash? You have to open the door to get to it.

OM shows the "CIGAR" 10A fuse, in the fuse block under the hood, is for the cigarette lighter and aux 12V power ports. When I pull that fuse, the cigarette lighter socket is dead, but the 2 aux ports next to it are still hot. Pulled other fuses for optional equip, but it's still hot. Checked the fuses on left side of dash, and nothing there either.

Where's the fuse that protects these power ports?

Have you owned this truck since new? How sure are you that the ports are original equipment? If these are not original, they may be protected by inline fuses, hopefully. I would not expect to see more than one 12v port on one 10a fuse.

Does your truck have retained accessory power? Do the sockets go dead after 10 minutes like they should?

I have the same setup on mine. There is a separate fuse for the other 2. I can't remember what it is off the top of my head. I'll try to check tonight.

Have you checked the fuses on the left side of the dash? You have to open the door to get to it.

Yes. I have checked, and have pulled both the SEO IGN and SEO ACCY fuses, and the accessory ports remain hot even though truck has not been started for days.

Still puzzled.

Archived