2015 Tahoe Base PPV upgrade to IO6 Nav, Color Cluster

Many thanks to Kodiakz for supplying most of the parts for this conversion.

I purchased a 2015 PPV tahoe. These vehicles come with the base IO3 Radio. Essentially, small 4" screen, single color instrument cluster, and no radio controls on right of steering. I am replacing this equipment to upgrade to the full IO6 Nav system with color cluster and steering wheel buttons. This is not difficult if you understand basic wiring on the vehicle and how GM planned the architecture.

1. There is a MOST (media oriented systems transport) system which interconnects all the audio related components together. This bus allows transfer of all data related to the audio system. Most manufacturers use a fiber optic system for this purpose. GM decided to use 4 wires. Two for in and Two for Out. A total of 4 wires plus a wakeup line.

2. The base instrument cluster does not have this wiring in place so it must be added and tapped into the radio module in center console. However, the wiring is in a RING fashion. Meaning from one device to the next. Two from out, to two input to the next, etc....

3. I purchased a steering wheel on ebay with right side buttons. These buttons are connected directly to the rear of the cluster via LINBUS 12 pin 20 on the rear of the cluster. This wire is missing. You must extend a wire under the column to the cluster from the large grey connector with pink locking tab. This wire is from the steering wheel clockspring.

4. The instrument cluster must be upgraded to the color version for the steering wheel controls to work.

5. The remaining wires required for the IO6 module can be obtained from the radio and telematics module.

6. If you obtain a steering wheel with heater function, this can be added as well. A replacement clock spring must be purchased with has the two additional leads for power and ground of the steering wheel heater. The steering wheel heater control module is located inside the steering wheel and only requires power and ground.

Since i am in the preliminary phases still, I will post more pics as I continue to receive parts.

post-141299-0-24929200-1427463939_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am looking to upgrade also from the 4" screen to the 8" my link system. Possibly new cluster for the color DIC, and steering wheel with controls. I have a 2015 tahoe PPV. Is this mod possible? If so any help would be much appreciated as there is no real info on internet. Wondering if you have to change the wiring already there to supply the new system etc..? Any help would be great!

• 1 month later...

Will post on Monday not at work today. Basically how I did the install I swapped the X1 module in the center console for the most part there's nothing you need to do with the wires there. However of the two usbs present from the wiring only one will plug back in. I believe he brown one. The black sub has blue insulation and runs to the screen. You're not gonna use that one. Next up you have the hmi module that's usually installed a little above and behind the glovebox. I mounted mine behind he cluster plenty of space there. From the hmi there's two main plugs. The one on the left with the plugs facing towards you is the one with the 2 sets of most wires and a most wake up wire. You take those wires to the gray X11 plug. I don't have the diagram in front of me but you find the output wires which I believe are in pins 1 and 2. Cut those in half and splice your most input wires to the X11 plug side. The other half you wire to the other wires heading into the car you cut. Then just tap the most wake up wire from the hmi to the X1 gray plug. The reverse camera wires just tap into the reverse wires on the X11 module 2nd plug from the left. That's off the top of my head I have my notes at work. I'll post pics on Monday.

• 3 weeks later...

I just purchased a 2015 PPV also and would like to upgrade to IO6 as well. Glad to see someone take the initiative and do it. Did you get the project finished and will you have a write up on it for us less technically inclined?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Any further info to share regarding these mods? Radio/DIC control steering wheel, color instrument cluster, 8" touch screen IO6 module.

• 2 weeks later...

How are you guys able to purchase a PPV? I am trying to locate a new one but everyone tells me only a Law Enforcement Angency can order them :-/

I'm in Texas btw

If you are not a current LEO or EMS or EMT, then you need to buy used.

There are almost new 2015 PPV's coming up for sale all the time.

I just purchased a 12,000 mile 11 month old PPV out of Syracuse. It arrived in Houston on Friday. The mods have already started :)

First some exterior, a bit of interior and then the Magnuson supercharger

My normal hotrod ride is a 550rwhp LS7 powered functional aero Corvette, so any SUV for me needs to stop and turn like a car - and the PPV sure does that and more. We had a blast doing a little hotdogging and autocross style hooliganism in a factory parking lot on Friday.

CV2bJv.jpg

nehpko.jpgtprOks.jpg

Here is a great low mileage 2015 PPV on eBay right now. 2800 miles, 3 months old, $45K.

A very nice setup with leather and center console.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Tahoe-/181854156589?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2a575a372d&item=181854156589

What are the differences and benefits to a PPV model?

Suspension, higher speed limiter, cool blacked or whited out look, and being able to say that you have one

What are the differences and benefits to a PPV model?

Suspension, higher speed limiter, cool blacked or whited out look, and being able to say that you have one

The reality is that it is the easiest way to start with a large SUV that is designed from the get go to stop and turn like a large sedan, not a large top-heavy SUV and still tow my track car with ease..

GM should really sell this truck with a blower and leather interior, call it an SS and save us all a lot of headaches :)

The Callaway, HSV Sport Edition and even Hennessey trucks are not that good anywhere except in a straight line.

When all is said and done we might even autocross ours just for shits-n-grins.

Archived