I'm 17 and new to these forums and have a few questions. So I have a 2006 Silverado 1500 5.3L with 80,000 miles on it. I'm basically just looking to make 0-60 faster and not sure what combination of modifications I should do, keeping in mind I want to tow a few dirt bikes with the truck. It seems like I'm in weird spot because to make these trucks fast, most people add a supercharger, or just call it a day with an exhaust and a CAI. The supercharger route cost like what? $7000 all together? And the exhaust and CAI is around $1000? I have $2500 to spend on some goodies but not sure whats best to do after an exhaust, CAI, and Tune. Do a cam and rockers? Thanks.

Tune, long tube headers, Airaod MIT, and just for the look and sound, Corsa Sport single sode exit, or 6.0 swap it with tune and long tubes.

Check out these companies

Black Near Performance- tune

Cal-Speed- headers

Corsa-exhaust

Airaid- intake tube

The stock intake already pulls cold air. It just needs a better tube.

I replied to the other thread, going to be good to keep the info together.

For 0-60 with the gearing in these trucks, gears and stall are going to be the best bet.

If 2wd it shouldn't be that bad, if 4wd you more than double the cost.

A tune to make the throttle more responsive and take out some of the torque management would be huge too.

How much weight can one practically drop in a daily driver truck?

Even on my street/strip car I didn't get carried away cutting weight as it is hard to do an still have proper safety and roadside preparedness items. Heck I left AC, ABS, power seats, power antena in a street/strip car because I like comfort.

Lockup converter wont hurt highway mileage atall, gears might have a slight impact on dead level cruise set long range cruise, but under other conditions it wont lug and downshift as much.

Most folks assume higher speeds hurt MPG because of higher rpm, BUT the additional wind resistance is a far bigger culprit.

Far as plugs stock are either platinum or iridium pucks used to increase life by reducing gap errosion. A plain copper plug will perform just as well but need to be changed FAR FAR more frequently, by 20K I would change them.

Ignition mods are NOT really worth chasing, stop and think about how long vehicles got by with one coil and a distributor and the spark having to jump twice once at the cap and then again at the plug after going through wires that were probably 5 times as long etc. The coil per plug and 100K mile target service interval means the stock ignition is really good and subsribing to the 80s idea it needs modification is a good way to spend a lot of coin for little gain.

Archived