New stereo going in--stepped up a notch

Got my 2015.5 Denali a couple of weeks ago. I had my audio upgrades taken out of my 2014 SLT this time instead of leaving them in.

New plan: same MB Quart 1000 watt 4 channel amp, same AudioControl Line level converter, but new active AudioControl crossover and biamplified Soundstream front coaxial 6x9 speakers in the doors, and a set of JL 3.5 inch coaxials in the factory dash locations. The door tweeters and the dash speakers will be on the same channel.

Infinity 12 inch sub.

Stock rear speakers will be retained (they are just for fill anyway) and will be powered by the MB Quart amp too. If I blow them, I'll get a better set.

The Bose amp will continue to power the factory console mounted sub.

Everything will be invisible unless you lift up the rear seats.

This will happen next Tuesday and this thing should really sound good.

All I have read says an active crossover is the way to go. I've never done it before.

Some say its not nice to mess with "Mother Bose". Your new Denali came with the premium Bose system yes? I ask as my understanding is that "conventional" upgrades to the Bose system can be difficult and problematic if the aftermarket components are not compatible.

Just mentioning this as you may need/want to check with experts on it before you commence with your intending installation just to be sure. It may be you already know and if that's the case, disregard this (my) post.

Lots of write-up, posts on the subject here...

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/153662-adding-aftermarket-subamp/

If you don't mind sharing, have a few questions, seeing as this is your 2nd new model upgrade.

What did you do to get the 3.5's in the dash?

Door chimes, Nav.,Phone Were these loud after being amped?

Looking into doing my own now. Truck is a '15 DC with 8" Screen (non-Bose). Have been looking into a number of options and think Imay have a solution. I'm considering reversing the "roles" of the door speakers. Leaving stock dash speakers and rear door speakers in place for now but swapping rear door to the front door wiring, should be able to do this right at the kick panels. Will allow the chimes, Nav, Phone to stay at factory levels and still provide a little bottom to phone conversations, plus some fill in the rear. Front doors will get a component install (driver in door, tweeter in A-pillar. Signal for these will be provided by rear door signal from HU (have to assume this is a full range signal). Will split this signal at the 4 channel amp, 2 channels driving the components, other 2 bridged to drive a sub. This should allow for a good amplified soundstage up front while avoiding the complication of amped chimes, etc.

If you don't mind sharing, have a few questions, seeing as this is your 2nd new model upgrade.

What did you do to get the 3.5's in the dash?

Door chimes, Nav.,Phone Were these loud after being amped?

Looking into doing my own now. Truck is a '15 DC with 8" Screen (non-Bose). Have been looking into a number of options and think Imay have a solution. I'm considering reversing the "roles" of the door speakers. Leaving stock dash speakers and rear door speakers in place for now but swapping rear door to the front door wiring, should be able to do this right at the kick panels. Will allow the chimes, Nav, Phone to stay at factory levels and still provide a little bottom to phone conversations, plus some fill in the rear. Front doors will get a component install (driver in door, tweeter in A-pillar. Signal for these will be provided by rear door signal from HU (have to assume this is a full range signal). Will split this signal at the 4 channel amp, 2 channels driving the components, other 2 bridged to drive a sub. This should allow for a good amplified soundstage up front while avoiding the complication of amped chimes, etc.

My installer says the 3.5's will fit with little or no modification. On my 14 SLT (it had the same top level Bose), I lost my chimes, but the nav and phone were fine. They use a different level control anyway. This time we are going to leave the stock left dash speaker connected to the Bose amp and mounted under the dash somewhere so I have some chimes.

If it's possible 3.5's can be installed in dash with a little effort, that would resolve a lot as far as presenting the soundstage. Might have to explore this first.

On my 2014, I had Focal components installed - mid range driver in the door and tweeter in the dash. It sounded great but was lacking a little, as you Americans say, je ne sais quoi... it needed more brilliance, punch, something. Between bi-amping it and these new speakers...whoa!

Got my 2015.5 Denali a couple of weeks ago. I had my audio upgrades taken out of my 2014 SLT this time instead of leaving them in.

New plan: same MB Quart 1000 watt 4 channel amp, same AudioControl Line level converter, but new active AudioControl crossover and biamplified Soundstream front coaxial 6x9 speakers in the doors, and a set of JL 3.5 inch coaxials in the factory dash locations. The door tweeters and the dash speakers will be on the same channel.

Infinity 12 inch sub.

Stock rear speakers will be retained (they are just for fill anyway) and will be powered by the MB Quart amp too. If I blow them, I'll get a better set.

The Bose amp will continue to power the factory console mounted sub.

Everything will be invisible unless you lift up the rear seats.

This will happen next Tuesday and this thing should really sound good.

All I have read says an active crossover is the way to go. I've never done it before.

What part of Austin are you in and where are you getting the system put in at?

Im in Killeen area and I'm looking for a place who will do a good job since I wanna keep the factory head unit, just add a sub and amp.

My installer says the 3.5's will fit with little or no modification. On my 14 SLT (it had the same top level Bose), I lost my chimes, but the nav and phone were fine. They use a different level control anyway. This time we are going to leave the stock left dash speaker connected to the Bose amp and mounted under the dash somewhere so I have some chimes.

3.5's wont necessarily fit. Mounting depth in there is shallow and OEM speaker sizw is 3.7xx. I would pick up a small piece of MDF, thin it out to about a 1/4" and glue it down if you dont mind doing that. I just about finished sound deadneing the entire truck, top to bottom and wow does it make a difference. Still missing the headliner as thats where most my road noise is coming from along with rattles.

What part of Austin are you in and where are you getting the system put in at?

Im in Killeen area and I'm looking for a place who will do a good job since I wanna keep the factory head unit, just add a sub and amp.

I live near Parmer and Mopac. The shop is Pro Car Audio on N. Lamar.

3.5's wont necessarily fit. Mounting depth in there is shallow and OEM speaker sizw is 3.7xx. I would pick up a small piece of MDF, thin it out to about a 1/4" and glue it down if you dont mind doing that. I just about finished sound deadneing the entire truck, top to bottom and wow does it make a difference. Still missing the headliner as thats where most my road noise is coming from along with rattles.

OEM for standard system is 2.5" now. Was thinking along same lines though. Have some 3/8" Azek sheet here, would work nice to fab a spacer ring.

OEM for standard system is 2.5" now. Was thinking along same lines though. Have some 3/8" Azek sheet here, would work nice to fab a spacer ring.

The stock Bose dash speaker is 3.0 inches across the basket and 4 inches across the mounting tabs. It is 1.5 inches deep. We'll see what will fit. I am optimistic.

I live near Parmer and Mopac. The shop is Pro Car Audio on N. Lamar.

Sorry I'm new to this. I live just north of Austin by Georgetown. I had custom sounds do my subs. Did two 10" JL W3v3 and a JL HD 600/1 in my 2014 double cab. Sounds amazing. Kind of expensive so I'm looking for somewhere else to go. I'm wanting to do 6.5"/4" focal KRX2 3 way up front (6.5" in the doors, and the 4" in the dash) and 6.5" KRX2 in the rear doors. All of which I want to run with the stock radio.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived