Fords solution for speeding

Ford Introduces Potential Solution For Speeders.

The Christian Science Monitor (3/29, LaCasse) reports on Ford of Europe’s “Intelligent Speed Limiter,” which can reportedly “recognize speed limit markers through a mounted camera on the windshield.” Announced last week, Ford’s European subsidiary said it plans to install the system in its S-Max minivans. The article suggests the system could be “a cure for the lead foot” and cites data from the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration that estimates that “speeding causes 10,000 traffic fatalities each year [in the US], about one-third of all motor-vehicle related deaths.” The article also references an NHTSA survey that examined whether or not Americans agreed with the statement that “everyone should obey the speed limits because it’s the law.”

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on what I've read, it doesn't force you to obey the speed limit, just give you a nudge to make sure you are following it, but you can override it if necessary. Wouldn't be a bad idea if a person has a habit of drifting over the speed limit when not using the cruise control on long trips, hahaha.

Coming soon.. a system that monitors your speed and driving and automatically fines you and reduces your license points.

Your car will be like a cop that follows you around citing you for every time you change lanes without a turn signal, roll through a stop sign, pass through a yellow or go even 1mph over the limit.

and when that day comes my friends.. will be the day when I start restoring old cars instead of buying new ones.

I am amazed they have not thought of this before .Why are most vehicles capable of going twice or more the speed limit?Selling feature?

So by your logic all vehicles should be limited to the speed on the road they're currently on? No thanks. I'll drive at realistic speeds and deal with the consequences.

Already encountered Ford's first version of this on a rental, they called it MyKey. If enabled, it will limit top speed to 80, start chiming at a speed of your choice and I think it can lock out the radio if the seat belt isn't buckled. Obviously someone who rented it before hand was just screwing around since all I needed to do was stop at the next exit, switch keys and disable the nanny system.

So by your logic all vehicles should be limited to the speed on the road they're currently on? No thanks. I'll drive at realistic speeds and deal with the consequences.

Already encountered Ford's first version of this on a rental, they called it MyKey. If enabled, it will limit top speed to 80, start chiming at a speed of your choice and I think it can lock out the radio if the seat belt isn't buckled. Obviously someone who rented it before hand was just screwing around since all I needed to do was stop at the next exit, switch keys and disable the nanny system.

On my mustang, they suggested that the Mykey feature was for valet parking or when your teenage kids borrow the car, haha.

On my mustang, they suggested that the Mykey feature was for valet parking or when your teenage kids borrow the car, haha.

I had a rental Fusion. Not a hot rod. I could see with kids having it. Never took a personal vehicle to someplace with valet parking. Probably never well. That's city stuff.

Holly hell. Can nobody take responsibility for themselves? People just beg to be led, like a bunch of sheep.

Yet another illogical aspect of the human disgrace, a future paved by the anti-intellectual.

I think it is a fine feature for a lot of people. From what I read it comes factory disabled. But if someone wants to turn it on, then that's fine. As long as it isn't mandatory. I'd probably try it on long trips where the speed limit fluctuates a lot through areas.

Based on what I've read, it doesn't force you to obey the speed limit, just give you a nudge to make sure you are following it, but you can override it if necessary. Wouldn't be a bad idea if a person has a habit of drifting over the speed limit when not using the cruise control on long trips, hahaha.

It sounds just like my wife's Jeep. The navigation tells you in a display what the speed limit is and you can set it to alert you if you go a certain mile an hour over it.

Archived