Do you consider Chevrolet a "Truck Brand"

Gorehamj

Silverado custom 15.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
4/2/2015

A recent award won by Chevy we reported on caught our attention after we read it a few times. The reason is that a well-respected Detroit-based automotive data company, Vincentric, named Chevrolet the best "Truck Brand." I don't think many of the members of this forum would argue that Chevrolet deserved the Award for making the trucks with the best value, but is Chevrolet a "Truck Brand?"

Given the huge decline in Chevrolet's car sales over the past year or so (21% just last month), and considering its truck sales are going up month after month, it seems possible to say that Chevrolet is a truck brand that also makes some cars. Even the comments from the GM brass seem to indicate that this was all in plan.

Just curious if anyone here thinks of Chevrolet as a "Truck Brand" first, as opposed to "An automaker" or a "car company."

Silverado custom 15.jpg

Silverado custom 15.jpg

Silverado custom 15.jpg

I see them as an automaker. All the domestic brands are heavily truck-focused, it's been that way at least since the 90s. GM has the GMC brand that is technically the "truck" brand but I tend to view the automakers as a whole (GM, Chrysler and Ford). Chrysler has tried to do something similar with branding Ram as a standalone offering but I feel they did that more for marketing. They made the switch post-bankruptcy when they and GM had black cloud above their heads in terms of public perception. So they split Ram off to disassociate it with Chrysler, the same as Jeep has always been. It also allows them to do the whole marketing spin-doctor stuff like claim they have the highest percentage of owners who tow/offroad/do truck like stuff of any brand because that's essentially all they make. They don'd have say the Dart diluting the figures this way.

I agree with Mike, they're an automaker who like many others, shifted their focus to what the market was demanding. People turned to trucks and suv's, so that's what they focused some attention on. It'd obviously be good for them to keep a balanced portfolio of cars and trucks to meet a family's needs if they wanted to earn as much business as they can.

Archived