5RWill's 2014 Iridium Metallic Sierra Build

5RWill

So i suppose it's time i make a build thread. Despite upgrades slowing down, due to the DAT. I picked up my Sierra back in Oct of 14 IIRC. It's 5.3L, 3.42 gear ratio, crew cab z71 SLT. I never really got into the enthusiast section of trucks/automobiles. Having built computers for eleven years and been shooting/reloading for the same amount of time i suppose it was only a matter of time. Interestingly enough i never thought the build list would progress this far. Starting out i just wanted a truck like my cousin's: 4-wheel drive, aggressive stance, some ground clearance, and could pretty much get me anywhere around the delta. It's funny how all that has changed. Some will say it's overkill but i'm unsure that such a thing exist. Creature of habit i suppose..

5RWill’s Sierra Build list

· Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks + Rears

· Kooks Long Tube Headers

· Kooks Catted Y-pipe

· Corsa Catback Exhaust

· CAI

· Morimoto HIDs

· LED fogs

· MGP Brake Caliper Covers

· SCA G2 bumper

· Kings Arsenal Black Molle Seat covers

· Method Mesh Matte Black 17x9s

· Toyo Open Country RT 285/70/17

· Black Bear Tune

· Bushwacker 1.25” Smooth Fender flares

Here is the day i brought it home.

IMG_1097_zpsahuihszt.jpg

The first thing that had to be done was tint.

15% in the front, 30% over the factory 20% in the back, and a 5% brow.

IMG_1211_zpsciorqias.jpg

Next priority on the list was leveling the truck and getting rid of air dam and running boards. After a lot of research i ended up selecting Bilstein 5100s over a spacer kit. I think it was the right choice. I highly recommend them to those that don't want the downsides of a spacer kit but don't want to drop serious coin on coilovers and UCAs. While the stock ranchos are better than the regular GM oem factory shocks, it's no comparison to the bilsteins IMHO. The ranchos are a great pavement shock IMO. They ride well on the streets but when it comes to mild off-roading and hitting large bumps they were very unstable and bouncy. I found myself bouncing all over the cab driving over ruts on the farm, also noticing a lot of bed sway, nose diving when braking, and body roll in corners. All this has been rectified with the Bilsteins. Granted i will say they're more firm on pavement. Your going to feel the small bumps a little more.It's not enough to cause discomfort IMO though. The digressive piston in these monotube shocks more than make up for a little firmer ride on the road for the comfort off road though. I flew down one our turn roads the other day at 40-50mph just to see how they handled, felt like i was gliding over bumps that would've had me bouncing in the ranchos. I really love these shocks.

I was also worried about the stance of the truck, i was unsure if 1.85" of lift up front would give me the look i wanted. It's perfect to my eyes. Looks level and i'm left with an inch or so of rake so i can still tow. As you can see it no longer looks like grandpa's truck, it now sits aggressive with some personality to it.

IMG_1520_zpszkdtiszo.jpg

IMG_1524_zpsiyp3duyx.jpg

IMG_1525_zpsibyhysa0.jpg

So there it is as of now. The goal of the upgrades is to give it some more power and growl to account for the 33" tires and loss MPG as well as some aesthetic customs to make it mine so to speak. I'd like to be able to squeeze around 400hp at the crank out of it with all those bolt-ons and a tune. I think it's a realistic shot. Next on the list is lights. I've received my Morimoto 35w 4500K kit and am about to order some Rigid Industries dually D2s for fogs. I'll also snap some pics of the bilsteins as well to put them in there.

Much like my other hobbies compiling an upgrade list is like slowly inducing poison into my bank account.

Edited by 5RWill

Looking good...mud always adds something. :thumbs:
I see your dog is making sure you don't leave in the truck without him.

Thankyou I might still be on fence about headers though I'm pretty sure. Next paycheck I should be able to order the dually D2s and maybe a CAI or airiad jr kit.

Ha I wish I could take him with me but I'm 168 miles from home, and as much as I love him he'll scratch the hell out of my truck. He can clear the tailgate and get in the bed with it up. Then when he gets down he slides down the side where the gas tank nozzle is...claws first. Then if you have a tool box he'll stand on it while driving and sleep on the cab when it's parked. Strange dog lol.

Here is my old truck

780c8162416a2f25ec4bdf95678ed11e.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't edit the first, post but decided against the SCA bumper 2820$ is too much to throw at a bumper. That's damn near all my exhaust upgrades. I think instead i'm going to try and have everything color matched. Essentially dechrome the truck, maybe with the exception of the Sierra and z71 badges. Also decided to go Airaid Jr rather than a full CAI since it will still give the same benefit of a CAI, and most of the noise from the setup will be due to the catted Y pipe and Corsa exhaust.

About to order the Airaid Jr and Dually D2s. I'll make a video comparison between stock engine/exhaust tone and with the Jr. Kit.

Going to try and install the Morimoto HIDs this weekend too.

• Like 1

I think that the current setup is awesome, the height and suspension is perfect for country life. The new headlights plus a black bear tune would do it for me!

Thank you sir! Much appreciated. I used to just want a tune and HIDs. Like most of my hobbies when i start digging and really get into it the list adds up, so it's expanded more than i ever thought it would.

Airaid MIT on the way, the 20% off at auto anything didn't apply for the Jr. or any intakes for that matter. So I figured i'll pick a nice high flow filter down the road. Considering BB's test results showed the MIT with stock filter/airbox alone gaining as much as the Volant system no worries. Free shipping is nice :D

Will have to wait until i can get my leave hours for the D2s, still going to work on installing the Morimotos this weekend and the MIT.

Edited by 5RWill

Airaid installed. Definitely a more throaty sound when you stomp on it, so much that some of that sound resonates in the cab. Might be hard to hear in the video but it's a little louder than stock, more of a growl to it. Can't say i can feel any throttle response. Which i wouldn't think that 5-10whp would do anyway. Soon as i can find a drill i'll tackle the HIDs. It's the MIT with the stock airbox and filter. Doesn't seem as loud as a CAI but i think a new filter would likely be a remedy to some of that

I'll post mpg results when I head back to Starkville. And over time. Right now out of the last 1000 I avged 16.2.

A9C7D56A-8CBF-4BA4-B95E-9B003357424D_zps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clYwVrzAQMI

Edited by 5RWill

Thanks! I should've held off on the airaid seeing as how I have to take the damn thing off to put my HIDs in. Hopefully installing the fog lights won't be as much trouble. Soon as I find a drill bit and some 3M tape I'm going to go at it.

Idk about throttle response, maybe tiny bit. 5-10whp wouldn't be noticeable i don't think. The growl is basically what i got it for that and MPG. Though lately i haven't been able to keep my foot out of it. I should've rev'd harder a couple times so you all could hear it. That and really stomp it in the cab. I passed someone going 80 the other day on the highway and it was much louder than the video.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey man, truck looks great! I just picked up a 2015 and want to level it with the bilsteins as well. Do you have the part numbers for them? Been looking and I must be stupid or blind cuz I can't find nothin!

Hey man, truck looks great! I just picked up a 2015 and want to level it with the bilsteins as well. Do you have the part numbers for them? Been looking and I must be stupid or blind cuz I can't find nothin!

24-238304

33-238319

http://www.allshocks.com/TRUCK/GMC/2014/Sierra%20K1500%204WD/Bilstein